The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

he's not the only one. Would I be upset with a Torres player? No. Would I be upset with a Torres player when we could have had a skilled top line scorer (if someone turns into that) yes.

I've had my fill of this team relying on soft, skilled one dimensional players thanks. This team needs a player like virtanen.

I've had my fill of this team relying on soft, skilled one dimensional players thanks. This team needs a player like virtanen.

toughness can be picked up off waivers and signed through free agency. Players that bring skill (like I hope virt eventually does) don't come cheap.

That's like saying "we need a backup goalie... let's draft one in the first round".

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 2

Jake can throw them and handle himself just fine.

He's pretty good, but not the physical beast Lucic is...

Lucic has scheurmann's disease, so basically he's a 6'4 guy with the reach of someone who's 6'6... Also Lucic used to box as a teen. Lucic can at least hang with top heavyweights as well.

Then again, Virtanen smaller so I won't expect him to be dropping em with goons to make the big league like Lucic did.

toughness can be picked up off waivers and signed through free agency. Players that bring skill (like I hope virt eventually does) don't come cheap.

That's like saying "we need a backup goalie... let's draft one in the first round".

You cant distinguish between a goon and a guy who can beat you physically, mentally and offensively?

He's pretty good, but not the physical beast Lucic is...

Lucic has scheurmann's disease, so basically he's a 6'4 guy with the reach of someone who's 6'6... Also Lucic used to box as a teen. Lucic can at least hang with top heavyweights as well.

Then again, Virtanen smaller so I won't expect him to be dropping em with goons to make the big league like Lucic did.

That's what I was implying. Virtanen can definitely handle himself in a fight but Lucic has been arguably the heavyweight champ since Laraque retired and rarely loses a fight. He came into the league expected to be a 3rd/4th line physical force who can pummel opponents and ended up being a bonafide power forward. I don't expect Virtanen to drop the mitts much anyways.

I never thought about it too much but Virtanen is actually very very similar to Torres at this stage of his career - Torres might be his best comparable. Both were high energy, very physical, fast north-south skaters with good shots.

I dont know if hes the best comparable, but there are certainly a lot of common elements to their game.

well we sure dropped the ball not drafting eager with a first then...

http://youtu.be/C73RC733qhk

I don't know what your one torres clip proves. He has zero cups and can't even find a job anymore.

That's not true, he's still with the Sharks. He was just injured all of last year and most of the year prior.

They're expecting him to play again this season.

Edited by BananaMash

I never thought about it too much but Virtanen is actually very very similar to Torres at this stage of his career - Torres might be his best comparable. Both were high energy, very physical, fast north-south skaters with good shots.

Meh.

I still think Evander Kane is the best comparable.

They are almost the exact same style of player.