The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Id rather have what torres brings to the table rather than ehlers or nylander.

Matter of opinion, but we'll see how it plays out. Hartnell (taken one pick after Torres) turned out to be a more productive player as an example, and we'll see if what Jake brings is enough if Nylander similarly turns into the more productive player (I've never been as high on Ehlers).

But speaking of the 2000 draft, another great example of the Canucks' futility. 39 NHL games played out of all the prospects we drafted that year over 9 rounds (Nathan Smith: 1st round/26 games, and Brandon Reid: 7th round/13 games).

I like a lot of what Virtanen does, but I still see a need for a high end offensive talent like Nylander that we've yet to fill.

You have a view of opinion vs fact that is drastically different from mine.

I have no issue with the Canucks' taking Virtanen where they did, but can't imagine how it being the right pick can be anything other than an opinion.

You mean he has a view of opinion vs fact that is wrong.

While I agree that drafting Virtanen is the best option we had, there's definitely arguments to be made that we should have drafted either of Nylander or Ehlers

Matter of opinion, but we'll see how it plays out. Hartnell (taken one pick after Torres) turned out to be a more productive player as an example, and we'll see if what Jake brings is enough if Nylander similarly turns into the more productive player (I've never been as high on Ehlers).

But speaking of the 2000 draft, another great example of the Canucks' futility. 39 NHL games played out of all the prospects we drafted that year over 9 rounds (Nathan Smith: 1st round/26 games, and Brandon Reid: 7th round/13 games).

I like a lot of what Virtanen does, but I still see a need for a high end offensive talent like Nylander that we've yet to fill.

And how many games has Nylander played in the NHL? How many points does this "high end offensive talent" guy have in the NHL? oh wait.

And how many games has Nylander played in the NHL? How many points does this "high end offensive talent" guy have in the NHL? oh wait.

Just as many as Jake does. I might as well ask you how many big hits Virtanen has made in the NHL, or end to end rushes, or etc. as a power forward player who can intimidate?

Neither are there yet, but if you want to ignore our need for a high end offensive player then go right ahead.

Edited by elvis15

Virtanen played better than Ehlers in that game. Even when he's not scoring, he's a force. Although he needs capitalize more, he drives to the net with speed and authority. I think one more year in junior may benefit him offensively; he is ready physically.

• Upvote 1

Virtanen played better than Ehlers in that game. Even when he's not scoring, he's a force. Although he needs capitalize more, he drives to the net with speed and authority. I think one more year in junior may benefit him offensively; he is ready physically.

He's definitely ready physically. We will see in preseason if he is ready mentally. If Virtanen is a liability defensively and finds himself in WDs dog house he'll be sent back with a list of things to work on in junior. That being said, he has a spot on the team if he can earn it. It's his to lose.

Either way I hope he gets to play for Canada in the WJC again. That's some good hockey and even better when a guy from your team is participating.

This, and people still bring up Ehlers. Nylander at least has had some form of AHL success. But he had a bunch of red flags on draft day as well. I'm just looking forward to watching Jake run over players for the better part of the next decade at least, why bother being upset he won't outscore Nylander. Both are valuable players in every gm's eyes.

Not saying I want 80 points from him if he can be that consistent 50 - 60 point physical presence then I'd be happy.

I said 80 points for Ehlers because that's a his top end potential. Of course you, at least, want to Virtanen to meet his potential as much as possible as well.

Personally I am crossing my fingers if Virtanen has a rookie season like Mark Stone *drools*.

Not a chance is ehlers going to be that player, neither will nylander. Virt was the bpa at that point. When ehlers and nylander arent producing, what are they contributing?

This, and people still bring up Ehlers. Nylander at least has had some form of AHL success. But he had a bunch of red flags on draft day as well. I'm just looking forward to watching Jake run over players for the better part of the next decade at least, why bother being upset he won't outscore Nylander. Both are valuable players in every gm's eyes.

Hows nylander going to do against lucic, chara, weber etc etc. Vancouver has had too many nylanders in the last 15 years

• Upvote 2

He's definitely ready physically. We will see in preseason if he is ready mentally. If Virtanen is a liability defensively and finds himself in WDs dog house he'll be sent back with a list of things to work on in junior. That being said, he has a spot on the team if he can earn it. It's his to lose.

Either way I hope he gets to play for Canada in the WJC again. That's some good hockey and even better when a guy from your team is participating.

Actually, it's Vrbata's, Burrows', Higgins' or Hansen's to lose.

Virtanen hasn't won anything yet. However, I do like what I'm seeing.

ELE boys!!!! Haha haven't watched the first two prospect games this year. Heard he's been doing very good physically, how is he looking offensively so far?

VTG you're back! Haven't seen ya around in a while.

probably because your so simple. Don't feel bad, I feel that I too would be voted off.

FWIW, I'd keep you around. You say some funny sh*t.

Just watching yesterday's game now and love what I'm seeing. Pretty much all the guys we were hoping to see excel, did, and I'm loving it. As for the Jake/Ehlers/Nylander debate...last June I was pretty much on the fence between Virt and Nylander, I had little interest in Ehlers, but now that Jake's in our system and Nylander's a dam Leaf I'm pulling for Jake all the way. I can understand what some posters, like elvis, were saying about the need for a "high-end" offensive guy like little Willy but I like the fact Virt can contribute more than just points. Nylander, if he does really hit his ceiling, is gonna be a really fun player to watch over the years but if Jake carves out an Andrew Ladd type career (not comparing players, but using Ladd as an example of what the player can bring) I'll be happy and I'd take that over Nylander.