The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

"GM Jim Benning used their top pick (sixth overall) to take Virtanen, a big goal-scoring winger who already has NHL wheels."

So is Virtanen a big guy who scores goals while playing wing or a guy who scores lots of big goals ?

The former is for sure. Otherwise another dash between "big" and "goal" is what I'm guessing.

Also could be the latter, but I wouldn't know because I never watched him play.

"GM Jim Benning used their top pick (sixth overall) to take Virtanen, a big goal-scoring winger who already has NHL wheels."

So is Virtanen a big guy who scores goals while playing wing or a guy who scores lots of big goals ?

they are saying his skating is NHL ready.

totally reminds me of when we just drafted Ryan Kesler. They said he's skating and overall 2 way game made him NHL ready, and this was back in 2003, and they were not wrong.

virtannen will transition into the NHL just fine. I'm glad we picked him. Nothing against the other wingers.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope he just tears it up in the WHL this year. I'll have to make sure to check out the Royals games when the Hitmen are visiting.

I dont think Calgary plays the Royals at home this year :( I was planning on watching Shinkaruk last year (but he got injured) and now Virtanen but he wont be coming to Victoria either...

I dont think Calgary plays the Royals at home this year :( I was planning on watching Shinkaruk last year (but he got injured) and now Virtanen but he wont be coming to Victoria either...

I checked right after I posted this, and you're right. Wonder why that is, it's not like Calgary is very far away.

I wonder where he will get picked if he was in the 2015 draft instead of the 2014 draft.

so if he was born one month later? if he managed to have the season he had last year as a draft -1 player, i'd think he would be someone the media considered as someone to watch as a potential riser into the 5-10 range. He would need to generate more team success.