The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Virt can play either wing.

He played lw mostly when he scored all those goals in his draft year, but is more comfortable on rw apparently.

If we want offense from him, then I hope he plays left wing. Way better shooting angle and that's his bread and butter.

Edited by Erik Karlsson

Well he wasn't as impactful as I was hoping, had a couple shots early, but was on the wrong end of some turnovers and missed assignments on the night.

It's only one game, but I wouldn't say he looked the most ready out of our prospects. Still have high hopes though.

m

Is that on top of the two more goals Nylander scored last game?

Remember a kid by the name if magnets pajarvi svesson? Kid teared up the pre season.

Well he wasn't as impactful as I was hoping, had a couple shots early, but was on the wrong end of some turnovers and missed assignments on the night.

It's only one game, but I wouldn't say he looked the most ready out of our prospects. Still have high hopes though.

He was playing pretty well from his ahl games to the last 3 games in pent

Nylander with a goal

Ritchie with an assist

Does this mean Virtanen and Ehlers are busts?????? Anyone??? I need to know.

Might as well calls it surrenders. Our team only scored 1 total goal in 2 games. Everyone's a bust.

Nylander: 2GP - 1G, 1A

Virtanen: 1GP - 0G, 0A

You know I'll be watching this all career long.

We should have drafted Nylander, but nothing you can do now. No point in continually comparing them.

I really thought Jake turned the corner after the OT winner, but it just seems he is on one game, off the next 2. He really needs to work on his consistency. We know the hitting and speed is there, but I don't see the offensive upside here. He was also caught out on the 1-0 goal which was disappointing apart from being invisible the entire game. Not a good sign, especially after the season he had last year.

On the bright side McCann looked amazing. Top 6 potential for sure. Can't wait to see him play in the pros, definitely got a steal there.

Edited by CanucksFanTillDeath1995

I thought he looked fine before going hard into the boards. After that he wasnt terribly noticeable. Jake is an immature player and I think tgeyll keep him in Van for the year to maintain control ocer aspect of his development. Going back to Jr isnt going to help that.

I thought he played well

In the first period he had excellentl puck possession and made some nice passes

He made a lot of decent plays along the boards and did well to set up his line mates

2nd period they called that ridiculous elbowing penalty on him and it slowed things down for him

I thought overall he looked good, Cassels is prob one of the worst centers to play with him especially at this point of his career

Side note: McCann looked like the best player out there for us

I thought he looked fine before going hard into the boards. After that he wasnt terribly noticeable. Jake is an immature player and I think tgeyll keep him in Van for the year to maintain control ocer aspect of his development. Going back to Jr isnt going to help that.

So very much this. The AHL would far and away be the best place for his development this year sadly.

He needs coaching, structure and more coaching... Sending him back to Junior is not going to help him at all. It will be a largely wasted year of development. That said unless he starts to show more, do more of the things he's being coached at this level than he did last night. He needs to show he's learning and listening. If he can do that he stays. If he can't, he continues bad habits in Jr.

His toolbox is full, he needs to apprentice on how to use the tools effectively. The people to teach him are not Jr. Coaches in the WHL. He needs the Bo treatment. Play 5, get injured, go down for a rehab, come up for 4 and then send him to the WJC. From there, see where everything is at.

So very much this. The AHL would far and away be the best place for his development this year sadly.

He needs coaching, structure and more coaching... Sending him back to Junior is not going to help him at all. It will be a largely wasted year of development. That said unless he starts to show more, do more of the things he's being coached at this level than he did last night. He needs to show he's learning and listening. If he can do that he stays. If he can't, he continues bad habits in Jr.

agree completely. Everything he needs to be successful is there, but the organizations needs to be in full control of his development as a player and as a person. Another year in Jr would send him backwards, in my opinion.

agree completely. Everything he needs to be successful is there, but the organizations needs to be in full control of his development as a player and as a person. Another year in Jr would send him backwards, in my opinion.

Yeah it's a bit of a knife edge he's on. If he shows progress, he stays up and likely develops better and faster. Then maybe a year in Utica next season if he hasn't progressed enough or he's with the big club from then on if he does.

If he can't do that though, if he struggles at progressing, they'll have to send him back and it will be a largely wasted year. Here's hopeing the kids got a head on his shoulder, is a good listener and can implement the coaching.

Yeah it's a bit of a knife edge he's on. If he shows progress, he stays up and likely develops better and faster. Then maybe a year in Utica next season if he hasn't progressed enough or he's with the big club from then on if he does.

If he can't do that though, if he struggles at progressing, they'll have to send him back and it will be a largely wasted year. Here's hopeing the kids got a head on his shoulder, is a good listener and can implement the coaching.

I'm always a benefit of the doubt kind of person. I've seen nothing but positives from Virtanen's attitude thus far, so I'm very hopeful regarding his development. For those crying about not picking Nylander.......99% of canucks fans wanted desperately to get away from the skilled, turn the other cheek kind of player. Virt was the right pick at the right time for this organization.

I wonder if there will ever be a time where an NHL team can compensate a junior team for placing a kid like Virt in the AHL when he is not eligible.

From what I understand, the AHL restriction is at least in part to prevent the CHL from losing superstars who bring in $. If NHL teams could pay CHL teams a 'transfer fee' to send their draft pick to the AHL before they finish their junior eligibility, that would really work out for player development.

Virtanen is another tweener, who will learn little from his time in the WHL (unless he's traded to a team with more structure) but may not be ready for the NHL just yet.