The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

We should have drafted Nylander, but nothing you can do now. No point in continually comparing them.

I really thought Jake turned the corner after the OT winner, but it just seems he is on one game, off the next 2. He really needs to work on his consistency. We know the hitting and speed is there, but I don't see the offensive upside here. He was also caught out on the 1-0 goal which was disappointing apart from being invisible the entire game. Not a good sign, especially after the season he had last year.

On the bright side McCann looked amazing. Top 6 potential for sure. Can't wait to see him play in the pros, definitely got a steal there.

Yeah cause you can never have enough small, soft, european centers...

Personally think Ehlers will have the best statistical career out of the 3-4 guys that we could have drafted. But Virtanen may be the guy with the all round game that every team values.

Personally think Ehlers will have the best statistical career out of the 3-4 guys that we could have drafted. But Virtanen may be the guy with the all round game that every team values.

Why, each time I come back to our Canuck's board, do I again read this (conceptually idiotic) viewpoint. It's certainly just as valid to state that both Ehlers and Nylander will bust, and be playing in Europe before they turn 24. We drafted Jake because he is the much better player. It's that simple.

Why, each time I come back to our Canuck's board, do I again read this (conceptually idiotic) viewpoint. It's certainly just as valid to state that both Ehlers and Nylander will bust, and be playing in Europe before they turn 24. We drafted Jake because he is the much better player. It's that simple.

You barely know anything about our prospects yet you wanna comment about other's around the league? Get outta here. You and Desi would make great friends btw Edited by Jiggs50
  • Upvote 3

Virtanen is the prototypical player that Benning wants on the team. Fast, hard to play against, good shot.

All of the players that he has selected have these 3 attributes to varying degrees.

FWIW "hard to play against" means one of a number of things to me. It can mean physical, mean, tenacious, strong on the puck, stubborn etc.

Did we draft Patrick White because he was better than Perron?

Hodgson because he would be better than Karlsson?

Nedved because he'd be better than Jagr?

Sometimes mistakes happen, and not to say that this was one.

Did we draft Patrick White because he was better than Perron?

Hodgson because he would be better than Karlsson?

Nedved because he'd be better than Jagr?

Sometimes mistakes happen, and not to say that this was one.

I'm glad you comprehend the concept. We drafted the better player. We got the Jagr of the draft, and the Jets and Leafs got Patrck White.

I think it's way too early to say that Virtanen will be the better all around player. I think too many people are ignoring the fact that smaller players can also develop tools other than simply their offense. If you look at a guy like Giroux, despite his stature, he is still an excellent two way player. I know there is a tendency in this debate to bring up other qualities to compensate for the pure statistical argument.

IMO its too early for that debate as none of the players in question are head and shoulders above their competition. Ehlers and Nylander have the edge offensively. Virtanen has the size and physicality, how they continue to develop those qualities as well as others will determine who will be the better player. All I will say is the Virtanen has some catching up to do as his physicality will not compensate for the gap offensively. I do believe that his draft year was more indicative of his offensive abilities than last year. It is up to the Canucks to develop that offense.

• Upvote 2

So you watched Ehlers play once and you saw some highlights of Nylander. They are both just 19 and you declare them busts?

And you believe they will be better than Virtanen. I accept you view. I simply disagree. None of us truly know. We are fans, and this is a Canuck's fans' forum. I believe our prospects are better than those on other teams. My concept is that many small players, who play a perimiter game bust. Both those two guys are small, and play on the perimiter, therefore their chances of busting IMO are much higher than a guy with Jake's skill set, size, and aggressive nature.

i think in there prime that virtanen will be able to change a game more effectively than nylander and ehlers. although its probable there more advanced offensively than jake at this point, the sum of all parts is immensely more tantalizing with jake and always will be. i personally will put a virtanen horvat combo over a d.strome nylander or scheifele ehlers in the playoffs 100%

I'm glad you comprehend the concept. We drafted the better player. We got the Jagr of the draft, and the Jets and Leafs got Patrck White.

No, genius. The concept is something like this: think of us selecting Horvat at 9th. What if Dallas gets a solid year out of Nichuskin and they in turn think they made a better selection than us? It won't matter a bit on our end, because we love Horvat and are happy with our selection. What if, as hard as it is to imagine, all three players (Virtanen, Ehlers, Nylander) all find success in the organizations that drafted them. Possibly because these organizations provide them every opportunity to succeed and support them every step of the way. We drafted an excellent player. So did the other two Canadian teams in that range.

• Upvote 1

i think in there prime that virtanen will be able to change a game more effectively than nylander and ehlers. although its probable there more advanced offensively than jake at this point, the sum of all parts is immensely more tantalizing with jake and always will be. i personally will put a virtanen horvat combo over a d.strome nylander or scheifele ehlers in the playoffs 100%

You mean Nylander Marner.

I doubt Ehlers will be a high scoring player at the NHL level. He'll be another Boedker, Hansen or Ellers at the NHL level despite what he did in the QMJHL

Sanhiem got sent back to Calgary,

That's good news if Virtanen goes back. He's gonna need good players to play with, especially with guys like Tambellini and Rankin moving on.

Also with the emergence of Bean, they should have a solid first unit PP that Jake can play on.

That's good news if Virtanen goes back. He's gonna need good players to play with, especially with guys like Tambellini and Rankin moving on.

Also with the emergence of Bean, they should have a solid first unit PP that Jake can play on.

I would love to see him return. I know people want to see him make the roster but I really believe that a year more in junior will benefit him more. He will get top line minutes in Calgary and be a pretty big part of Team Canada at the WJC. Beats playing 8-10 minutes on the 4th line with linemates like Prust and Dorsett imo.

I wonder if we can force the hitmen to release him.

I don't know if we can get them to release him, but we could pressure them to trade him to another team. Minnesota did that with Dumba a few years back. Basically they told Red Deer "Trade him and get some assets for him or we're keeping him all year and you get nothing for him." He was then traded to Portland and sent back to the WHL.