The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

He measured into Leafs camp at just over 190 pounds and 6'0.

for me, at least, it's not about Nylander size.......it's about style. I'm ready for a different style from the Nucks and Nylander would have been more of the same old same old for the next decade. I want to watch a bigger, tougher team in Van again, it's been too long, and the current style has gone stale.

• Upvote 2

for me, at least, it's not about Nylander size.......it's about style. I'm ready for a different style from the Nucks and Nylander would have been more of the same old same old for the next decade. I want to watch a bigger, tougher team in Van again, it's been too long, and the current style has gone stale.

that syle brought us within 60 mins of a cup.
  • Upvote 1

That's easy to say, in fact, just as easy as me saying I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander ended up better than both McCann and Virtanen's NHL contributions combined in a few years. Predicting which prospect will be better before they've even played an NHL game is a bit of a crap shoot.

You didn't read what I said. I said better OVERALL and FOR US. Sure they may put up more points in the regular season, but for what this teams needs and wants to ice, McCann to me projects as a much better fit.

I'm tired of seeing good success in the regular season evapourating once the playoffs come because too many can't/won't match the rise in pace, intensity, and physicality. Not saying Nylander and Ehlers will do the same, but I'd put my money on guys like McCann and Virtanen before either of them in that regard.

This is a recent picture of Nylander

1297723309165_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

I have a hard time believing that is "thin" or small. He looks pretty big there, especially for his height.

The kid he's standing next to is 5'2" and clearly weirded out by Nylander's need to remove his shirt for a picture.

• Upvote 2

You didn't read what I said. I said better OVERALL and FOR US. Sure they may put up more points in the regular season, but for what this teams needs and wants to ice, McCann to me projects as a much better fit.

I'm tired of seeing good success in the regular season evapourating once the playoffs come because too many can't/won't match the rise in pace, intensity, and physicality. Not saying Nylander and Ehlers will do the same, but I'd put my money on guys like McCann and Virtanen before either of them in that regard.

I don't see the need to overthink whether McCann or Jake is better than Nylander or Ehlers. In my own estimation there is as much reason to believe Nylander, for example, will be as good a play off performer as Jake.

There are small guys, see recently retired Danny Briere who are great. And he is a guy with a similar build to Nylander. The speed and explosiveness, agility and vision are all components. And of course they probably don't exist without guys like Jake? Each has his place... Chicago is the perfect example. They are full of small guys including Kane. Is he much bigger than Ehlers? But offset by beasts like Hossa, Seabrook and notably Toews.

Its all in how you build the team. It does have to have enough of all components to make you competitive. Then its simply how the coach constructs the assembled talent into a competitive advantage.

that syle brought us within 60 mins of a cup.

Can we all just please accept the fact that we draft Virtanen... lol this is nuts this whole Virtanen - Nylander - Ehlers thing is still going on. Just accept it and embrace our player Virtanen or go become a fan of the other players teams.

This is silly. Debating unchangable past decisions is silly. Yes we could of done this, this, and this. But what is done is done. it is what it is.

• Upvote 1

Can we all just please accept the fact that we draft Virtanen... lol this is nuts this whole Virtanen - Nylander - Ehlers thing is still going on. Just accept it and embrace our player Virtanen or go become a fan of the other players teams.

This is silly. Debating unchangable past decisions is silly. Yes we could of done this, this, and this. But what is done is done. it is what it is.

I'd take the chance on an elite power forward any day of the week

This is a recent picture of Nylander

1297723309165_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

I have a hard time believing that is "thin" or small. He looks pretty big there, especially for his height.

I stand corrected. His legs look quite heavy too. Thank you for the picture. I am surprised he plays such a soft perimeter game, considering he has some meat on him? I'm sure glad we have Virtanen, who we know will always compete.

The kid he's standing next to is 5'2" and clearly weirded out by Nylander's need to remove his shirt for a picture.

no kidding.......talking about how big he is in a pic standing beside a 14 year old is kind of counter productive to his argument. How about a pic of him next to Virt, or Bo, or Lucic........Chara?

What if I told you this is a photoshopped picture.

I don't think it is. This looks like a well built young man. I'm surprised he's that big! He certainly should play a more involved game, considering he has some girth. Virtanen is even bigger, but not by a lot, and he is way more aggressive.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic