The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Talent without work ethic is wasted talent. Champions are made of talent and a never ending work ethic. One thing we know for sure jake knows he needs to be one of the hardest working to be the player we want.

He unlike Kassian actually has a deep passion. Kass is a joke. U want players who want to win not ones that need to be motivated to show up if you want cups.

Our vets are teaching our youngsters that. That's why Prust and Sutter are key additions. Bonino no showed in playoffs. Better this way.

Sadly, all very true.

Even sadder was the refusal of so many to come to terms with what was blocking a clearly talented player like Kassian. Focus.

He needed a coaching "reset" every couple of games" sometimes every couple of shifts on his blacker days. There is a guy who is going to have a whole truckload of regrets on the day he hangs up his skates.

I put most of it down to bad early development and I am afraid Virtanen is being denied the same season/2 seasons in the A where it could make all the difference to what line he sticks on.

What even makes you say that? just a random projection? The kid put up a nearly a point per game as an 18 year old in the AHL. Not to mention coming from over seas.

I would like to see Jake start hitting the scoreboard a bit more. Penticton, Utica and Exhibiton included he has what? 1 goal 1 assist in at least the last 13 or 14 games, not sure when his last goal in the W was.

Just thought you would like to know the nick name Nylander has earned in TO: "Wee Willy". To me that suggests soft, small, tiny, Smurflike. We have a freight train in Big Jake.

Just saying:)

Just thought you would like to know the nick name Nylander has earned in TO: "Wee Willy". To me that suggests soft, small, tiny, Smurflike. We have a freight train in Big Jake.

Just saying:)

why dont you actually talk to some Toronto fans on gow they feel about him. Might give you more insight than some stupid nickname you made up.
  • Upvote 3

Virtanen with Sutter certainly sounds like an good option, but I liked the Baertschi-Sutter-Vrbata line.

Maybe it will be down to Gaunce-Horvat-Hansen or Virtanen-Sutter-Vrbata/Hansen.

I don't think Gaunce and Virtanen will both make the team, as it looks like Baertschi has a spot locked up. However, Baertschi seemed to have good chemistry with Vrbata, and Horvat could also slot in between the two. In that case, Hansen could play with Virtanen and Sutter to form a fearsome forechecking line. But Gaunce-Horvat seems pretty appealing...

It was only one game so I won't say it won't work but I wasn't a huge fan of vrbata with sutter

Why not reunite our top line? It was only split up to help bonino

Sedin Sedin vrbata

Burrows sutter Virtanen

Baertshi Horvat Hansen

Dorset vey prust

Kenins

• Upvote 1

Nylander and Grabner don't even play alike.

I disagree.......no two players play exactly alike, but there are similarities. I also said Nylander has a higher ceiling. I do think Nylander will be a solid offensive player, but mostly one dimensional

I agree 99%. I think Vey is soft, and not an NHL player. I also have been critical of Shinkaruk for being a perimeter player. I never liked Jensen. Yes, I cheer for our guys to be better than other team's prospects. My opinion is biased, of course. E en weighing my bias I still don't like Nylander's game, and dislike Ehlers even more.

How did you like Naslund?

My point being you can't possibly predict who's going to a top line player out of the 2014 draft unless you are a fortune teller. Are you a fortune teller?

No, but I'm pretty confident in my scouting abilities. Very good players, yes.......Franchise players, not likely in that draft.

Soft = Picking up your opponents stick for them after they rag doll you behind the net.

If you are an NHL player that can "maybe throw an occasional hit" you are soft!

This discussion should not be happening.

I wouldn't call the twins soft, at all, but I agree with your premise that the organization needs to move away from the "turn the other cheek" mentality that has been here for so very long now. They had some success with it, but it's time for a new direction.

This is your biased opinion, which you are entitled to. I believe he's too soft to be an effective player on a winning team. Jake, on the other hand, will be a hugely super effective player, that helps us win. Someone here actually compared this Nylander to the Twins. That's quite sickening. I guess they are swedes? Nylander reminds me if Inge Hamistrom.

How was his opinion biased, and the comparison of nylander and the sedins wasn't based off of skill level....

You need to start comprehending what people are telling you because it's becoming extremely exhausting lol

That all depends on definitions right?

What is Tyler Seguin to you? Ekblad?

I would consider Ekblad a franchise player, Seguin a very very good player and key element on that team.

You're right, it depends on definition. I don't see anyone from Virt's draft class, outside of the top 3-4, that I would consider franchise guys that you build your entire team around.

Edited by stawns

It was only one game so I won't say it won't work but I wasn't a huge fan of vrbata with sutter

Why not reunite our top line? It was only split up to help bonino

Sedin Sedin vrbata

Burrows sutter Virtanen

Baertshi Horvat Hansen

Dorset vey prust

Kenins

No it wasn't. The Sedins asked to have Burrows back so they had someone to dig out pucks for them and do the forechecking instead of them doing it for Vrbata. They're right.

Soft = Picking up your opponents stick for them after they rag doll you behind the net.

If you are an NHL player that can "maybe throw an occasional hit" you are soft!

This discussion should not be happening.

Umm. No. Sedins are far from soft.

I would consider Ekblad a franchise player, Seguin a very very good player and key element on that team.

You're right, it depends on definition. I don't see anyone from Virt's draft class, outside of the top 3-4, that I would consider franchise guys that you build your entire team around.

Have to agree with Stawns. Short of a surprise here or there, they're all likely to be varying degrees of good (largely complimentary) offensive players past 3/4'ish pick. That includes Virtanen. I doubt him, Nylander or Ehlers are anything more than good, complimentary 40-60'ish point players in their primes. They're not super stars, they won't be the primary drivers of play.

Nylander is arguably the most likely to get closer to that 60'ish points, then IMO Virtanen and finally Ehlers. If I had to take a stab in the dark, let's say Nylander at high 50's, Virt at high 40's/low 50's Ehlers low to mid 40's.

Jake however will be able to bring more to his game than simply scoring and be less one dimensional. I'll take 5-10 less points but more dimensions. YMMV.

And yes, I'd still draft Jake if we the draft was redone.

Soft = Picking up your opponents stick for them after they rag doll you behind the net

Last time I checked that was called class/respect. The Sedins aren't expected to throw the body, that's not their play style. When was the last time you saw Crosby destroy someone?