The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

If Jake learns to protect the puck better while he's trying to gain speed in the neutral zone he will have a lot more success at zone entires against NHL level defenders. Right now their gap control isn't allowing him to get by, he is moving quickly, but he's not changing pace or keeping the puck away from their sticks.

I want to see him gain speed push D back then lay the puck off to a team mate at the blue line and go straight to the net for the return feed.

I agree from a development standpoint there are pros and cons for development at both the NHL and junior level. But I think junior is, perhaps not ideal, but nevertheless the best option. He still is yet to dominate the WHL. Perhaps because his coaches mismanaged him or because he has an early birthday or because he had a shoulder injury. Regardless, I think he still has a lot to learn from junior.

The question I think a lot of us have to ask ourselves when evaluating Virtanen's development is whether we are being honest and objective or if we are letting wishful thinking cloud our judgement. It is very rare a 19 year old player with about a 1 PPG +1 season in the CHL (who is not noted for strong defense) comes into the NHL in his +2 seasons and has an impact (yes there are examples but they are the minority of cases). Moreover, there are many flaws in Virtanen's game which can be more easily corrected at the junior level against easier competition such as defense, play-making, discipline (bad penalties). These are a lot harder to correct when going up against NHL players. And yes I agree the coaches in Calgary have misused him and not developed him the way I would have like, nevertheless, they still can teach him a lot especially as he will be their main option this season.

I agree.

I think Virtanen is the player we should be most patient with. I don't want to see him turn into another Kassian when a year or two under a coach like Green in the A (not next year obviously) will hone is game into a more lethal and consistent threat.

We know he has the heart and the physique but all that can be wasted if he is not coached in how to best use it to it's best effect in the pro league.

Just look at what Green did for Gaunce (and Grenier) since Utica was affiliated.

It is a crying shame he can't be sent to the A but nothing can be done about that now. Does anyone know if he can spend a year in Europe, Sweden maybe? Even that might be better than the juniors.

Edited by alfstonker

I agree.

I think Virtanen is the player we should be most patient with. I don't want to see him turn into another Kassian when a year or two under a coach like Green in the A (not next year obviously) will hone is game into a more lethal and consistent threat.

We know he has the heart and the physique but all that can be wasted if he is not coached in how to best use it to it's best effect in the pro league.

Just look at what Green did for Gaunce (and Grenier) since Utica was affiliated.

It is a crying shame he can't be sent to the A but nothing can be done about that now. Does anyone know if he can spend a year in Europe, Sweden maybe? Even that might be better than the juniors.

I'm sure he could, but WHL is a better place for him - Look what Europe did for Jansen, he's no closer to the NHL than when Vancouver drafted him.

And I think there is a huge plus to Canucks staff being able to hop on a flight, see him/talk with him in Calgary and fly back for business the next day.

He's not utilizing his speed. I want to see him try to take control offensively and try to do something other than just laying a hit.

He was directly responsible for the turn over on Mcanns goal last night and he made several very good passes as well. I wish they would have put him on Bo's line rather than Grenier.

I'm sure he could, but WHL is a better place for him - Look what Europe did for Jansen, he's no closer to the NHL than when Vancouver drafted him.

And I think there is a huge plus to Canucks staff being able to hop on a flight, see him/talk with him in Calgary and fly back for business the next day.

Why do you think the WHL is a better place for him to develop? He already has top end speed, size and shot, even in the NHL. Hes well equipped to play in the bottom 6, until there's room in the top 6.

I'd rather trust the Canucks to develop him than the Hitmen, who have already misused him.

I want to see him do more than just hitting out there. I want him to be able to control the offense. Not throw hard passes back to the point, and taking bad penalties.

However, you've got to admit, he's already smashing NHL players as if they're candies. His strongest asset is hitting, and his speed which he needs to use more.

I'm thinking he gets his 9 games.

Edited by Odd.

Botchford piece including a bit on Virtanen from last night:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/09/29/canucks-2-1-loss-what-we-learned-virtanen-benched-kenins-mia-and-huttons-best-yet/#st_refDomain=t.co&st_refQuery=/RuiFMozBTV

It notes that Gulutzan said he is still learning and made some mental mistakes which led to him being benched the last 9 minutes of the game.

Virtanen needs to fine tune his game overall. At first, I was open to giving him up to 9 games and then sending him down. But I don't think he has had that great of a preseason (and rookie tournament). He has made a lot of small mistakes (often risky plays) and his offense and physicality haven't been enough to counter balance those mistakes in my opinion. At this point, I don't think I would even give him any NHL games - let him play (almost) a full season in junior. As others have mentioned, there is no need to rush this guy. We like to think he'll be a top 6 guy, but he is much more likely to be a bottom six winger. If we want to give him the best chance to reach his potential he needs a nice slow development.

• Upvote 1

I want to see him do more than just hitting out there. I want him to be able to control the offense. Not throw hard passes back to the point, and taking bad penalties.

However, you've got to admit, he's already smashing NHL players as if they're candies. His strongest asset is hitting, and his speed which he needs to use more.

I'm thinking he gets his 9 games.

Well, hes one of the few players to actually score.

• Upvote 1

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/09/29/canucks-2-1-loss-what-we-learned-virtanen-benched-kenins-mia-and-huttons-best-yet/#st_refDomain=t.co&st_refQuery=/RuiFMozBTV

It notes that Gulutzan said he is still learning and made some mental mistakes which led to him being benched the last 9 minutes of the game.

Virtanen needs to fine tune his game overall. At first, I was open to giving him up to 9 games and then sending him down. But I don't think he has had that great of a preseason (and rookie tournament). He has made a lot of small mistakes (often risky plays) and his offense and physicality haven't been enough to counter balance those mistakes in my opinion. At this point, I don't think I would even give him any NHL games - let him play (almost) a full season in junior. As others have mentioned, there is no need to rush this guy. We like to think he'll be a top 6 guy, but he is much more likely to be a bottom six winger. If we want to give him the best chance to reach his potential he needs a nice slow development.

They need his speed and physical play. Hes pretty much the only fwd who seriously backs dmen off when he carries the puck into the offensive zone.

Would you rather trust the Hitmen, who have already shown his development is not a priority, or the Canucks, in house?

Its an easy answer for me.

• Upvote 1

They need his speed and physical play. Hes pretty much the only fwd who seriously backs dmen off when he carries the puck into the offensive zone.

Would you rather trust the Hitmen, who have already shown his development is not a priority, or the Canucks, in house?

They (the canucks) dont need anything. They arent virtanen away from a cup. I dont see how they NEED virtanen right at this exact moment.
  • Upvote 1

It isn't a matter of who would you trust it is much more complicated than that. First, the WHL is easier to learn and make corrections because the competition is worse. Second, the Canucks are really interested in winning games, perhaps next year they will switch track and saying that they are going to focus on the rebuild and developing players at the NHL level, but as of now they still want to compete for the playoffs. Third, Virtanen will learn leadership and maturity being the go-to guy in the WHL and at the WJC. Fourth, it will be easier for Virtanen to learn to be more disciplined in the WHL where guys are slower and less skilled. Fifth, and admittedly less important, why burn a year of his ELC when he is very unlikely to make an impact on the team in terms of wins.

I really think people who want Virtanen on the team this year have rose-coloured glasses on and are just thinking wishfully. Yes, we would all love it if he stepped in to the lineup and played an huge role with us as a power forward. But that is just very very unrealistic. Last year he didn't dominate the WHL (a much easier league) he was definitely an impact player for the Hitmen but I wouldn't say he was one of their top 2 players. These unreal expectations need to be tapered.

• Upvote 2

If Jake learns to protect the puck better while he's trying to gain speed in the neutral zone he will have a lot more success at zone entires against NHL level defenders. Right now their gap control isn't allowing him to get by, he is moving quickly, but he's not changing pace or keeping the puck away from their sticks.

I want to see him gain speed push D back then lay the puck off to a team mate at the blue line and go straight to the net for the return feed.

Did you see the game tonight? At least twice I saw him win a puck battle before or right near centre, streak down the wing going wide on the defender, and still get the puck on net?

I think that's pretty much the definition of pushing the puck back.

Only in Vancouver do they poo poo and second guess the home grown power forward that dreamed to be on the Canucks and is doing everything he can to do just that as a 19 year old.

They can do some video session vis a vis the mistakes. No reason to send him down right away, at least fully indoctrinate him before he goes.....

Maybe the Hitmen are still pissed they didn't draft Nylander.

I hope they play against each other one day and Jake blows him up. Maybe that will win over the crowd.

But I doubt it.

:picard:

I talked to him last season in Calgary, trust me, he's not small.

He picked his charger up from the dealership the same day I picked up my vehicle. He was in shorts and flip flops and a canucks tshirt. For what it's worth, I spend a fair amount of time doing deadlifts, squats etc and I would pay lots of money to have that kids legs. He is a genetic freak.

Some guys have 'the build' which gives them the head start. He has done well and have to think when he is 26 he plays at 245ish.

He could also go Dustin Buff on us if he isn't careful.

I think that's a good analysis.

Jake's the perfect example of a tools but no toolbox player. I think for him to solidify his pro game he'll need to have a lot of one on one time with coaches and staff.

Not sure if Calgary can provide that, oh how I wish he was eligible for Utica.

They (the canucks) dont need anything. They arent virtanen away from a cup. I dont see how they NEED virtanen right at this exact moment.

Virtanen could help them win, and Benning wants a team that experiences more Ws than Ls, even if it means bowing out early in the playoffs.

I think it is totally fine to disagree with Benning's strategy, but once Benning's strategy is understood, it should make sense why he's going to try and put together the team that gives him the best change of winning on game day, even if that means (1) getting bounced early in the playoffs, and (2) drafting in the middle of the first round.

• Upvote 1

Virtanen could help them win, and Benning wants a team that experiences more Ws than Ls, even if it means bowing out early in the playoffs.

I think it is totally fine to disagree with Benning's strategy, but once Benning's strategy is understood, it should make sense why he's going to try and put together the team that gives him the best change of winning on game day, even if that means (1) getting bounced early in the playoffs, and (2) drafting in the middle of the first round.

virtanen will not be the deciding factor on whether this team is winning or losing.