The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

so what. Whats the big plan then Gaunce McCann Hutton and virtanen all stay so we have to waive 3 players to keep them all. Virtanen has unquestionably had the weakest preseason out of those so in your eyes we have to play them all or it's #tanknation eh buddy?

Guess we waive vey prust and corrado then. That should make our team better.

I remember a time when cdc wasn't a pile of organised crap. Those were the days.

Organized? This is pure anarchy!

More false dichotomy here. it's not all-or-nothing, just like it's not cup-or-tank as you implied. If no trades or such are made, many here have already outlined what can be done:

Hutton to Utica

Gaunce fills Higgins' spot

Vey in pressbox

Jake and Jared stay with the team for 9 games, until Higgins returns, then decisions or moves are made

Injuries are inevitable, especially at the start of the season. The first D to go down means Hutton springs back up. Jake, Jared, Brendan, or Vey fill in for any forwards on the limp. McCann, Gaunce, and Hutton have clearly earned their spots, whereas the decision on Jake is where his development is better served.

Worst-case scenario is they waive Vey, but many teams are in the same situation of having extra players. Only way he gets picked up is if he's a better option that what teams already have on their final roster plus whoever else is on waivers. If they lose him they lose him -- the goal here is to ice the best, most competitive team possible.

Yeah I'm not sure what some of these guys have been watching? Has a couple points, has made nice plays to create offense, has played decently defensively and has used his speed and physicality effectively.

That goal was all Jake. He forechecked their entire D-zone on his own and forced them to cough up the puck. The only thing he didn't do was pull the trigger.

Well, with this game he's making a case for his 9 games.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Prust - McCann - Dorsett

Vey, Kenins extras

I have to agree with this forward line up..

Lots of flexibility with wingers too.

Well, with this game he's making a case for his 9 games.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Prust - McCann - Dorsett

Vey, Kenins extras

I really like this lineup. I could see them starting the season like this but I don't think it will take too long before the BORVIRTSCHI line becomes the second line.

• Upvote 1

Really? You don't trust the Hitmen to develop him?

I argue they are one of the top three CHL organizations that get players to the NHL on a regular basis. It's not like he's stuck in Moose Jaw or something.

He will play in Calgary, and he'll play for a coach in Mark French that has more Pro coaching experience than Travis Green. Add in that the Canucks brass is only an hour away (as opposed to 6 hours) so they can keep real close tabs on him and it's a better place for him if he's not in the NHL.

As well, how much scoring has he done playing against men? The answer, pretty much none. Throw him in too earlier and he'll loose confidence and end up being a journeyman plug. Keep him where he can succeed and develop at the same time.

The Hitmen games I watched last year did not look like they were being coached by someone with pro experience. From top to bottom they were system-less. If we want Jake to become better off the puck and better positionally, there is an argument to make that he won't get this playing in Calgary.

• Upvote 1

Good Canadian Kid!

It's just instinct I know, but the irony is that the visor would have protected him had he not turned away.

Yah, but he also wouldn't have got that sweet goal. Plus chicks dig scars.

Welcome to the NHL, son. :towel:

As a result of last nights game. Virtanen has 0.8 PPG in this pre-season. 4pts (2g, 2A) in 5 games. Granted 3/4 of that came in one game. I hope that line of Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen gets another shot to see if they can produce consistently. I obviously don't expect them to duplicate that on a nightly basis (10pts in one night for a line is Sedin like), but it would be great if they could keep those scoring chances coming.

As a result of last nights game. Virtanen has 0.8 PPG in this pre-season. 4pts (2g, 2A) in 5 games. Granted 3/4 of that came in one game. I hope that line of Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen gets another shot to see if they can produce consistently. I obviously don't expect them to duplicate that on a nightly basis (10pts in one night for a line is Sedin like), but it would be great if they could keep those scoring chances coming.

Sure, but chances are that thing swelled up pretty good this morning, and I would be surprised to see him sit out the last game

Sure, but chances are that thing swelled up pretty good this morning, and I would be surprised to see him sit out the last game

True. I figure he's at least going to get a few games in the regular season though. It would be nice to test the line further in pre-season, but there will still be opportunities afterwards.

Botchford: Virtanen the face of dominant young Canucks line in 5-2 win over Edmonton
By Jason Botchford, The Province October 1, 2015
11407125.jpg
Jake Virtanen (77) is taken off the ice after taking a puck to the face. At least it went in. Photograph by: Jason Franson , CP

EDMONTON — It may be the only time Jake Virtanen is cheered in Edmonton after scoring.

He was brought to his knees when a Yannick Weber slap shot careened off the side of his head and into the net.

Officials waved aggressively for medical help, while his teammates leaned in.

"Next thing I remember, (Bo) Horvat is on top of me screaming, 'You scored!'" Virtanen said.

Virtanen had a pretty good idea right then he'd be okay. He waved to the crowd, walking off as coolly as the day he arrived at the Young Stars tournament, not long before he obliterated Connor McDavid. Oiler fans couldn't help but cheer.

The kid is tough, you've got to give him that.

Virtanen quickly checked Twitter and saw people comparing him to Doug Glatt, the bouncer-turned-hockey player in the movie Goon who used his backside to score a goal.

He laughed, got the side of his brow stitched and got back into the game as soon as he could.

You think he wanted to miss a second of that?

Virtanen, Horvat and Sven Baertschi took Edmonton by storm Thursday, rollicking their way to 10 points. They were fast, powerful and overwhelmed an Oilers roster oozing with prospects.

Horvat said after the game: "I hope this line is together for a long time."

The rest of us just hope it's together for a game next week. If preseason means a lick, they have earned it.

Canucks veterans haven't had so much as a heartbeat since the Prince George training camp two weeks ago. Really, there has been only one who has bothered since Day 1 and that's Horvat. He has saved his best for last.

If you haven't noticed, Horvat has been flying up and down ice rinks for a couple of weeks now. It seems people are numb to it now, because if he had done any of this last preseason they would have had to close down Yaletown on account of drool.

You want to keep this guy on a third line? Good luck.

Horvat scored two goals, setting up another, and breathing a lot of life into two linemates who needed it.

Virtanen had been benched for the final nine minutes Tuesday in San Jose. He responded by absolutely flying in the first period in Edmonton, making things happen with and without the puck.

On the first goal, he pressed down hard on the gas, leaving Andrew Ference with wind burn before he wheeled in the corner and set up Horvat in front.

On that face-goal, Virtanen was all over the front of the net. He was doing everything you could have hoped for from a teenager.

Baertschi, on the other side of that same line, was equally impressive, piling up four assists.

It's a development of huge import to the 2015-16 Canucks season.

You see, this is supposed to be Baertschi time in Vancouver.

You're forgiven if you haven't yet felt the plate tectonics motion. Until Thursday, Baertschi hadn't done anything at all.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/botchford+virtanen+face+dominant+young+canucks+line+over+edmonton/11407140/story.html

Edited by Bigturk8

Virts played well last night, was a good net presence, got a fluky goal off his face ( so glad it didnt get his eye was very worried for a bit ) and made a nice pass on horvats goal but it also looked fluky he just blindly threw it out front. watch the replay he didnt know bo was there. hope he gets his 9 games but I agree with a few other users in saying he needs more time in junior and to play at the WJC.

really hope if that's the case, Calgary gives him 1st line minutes or trades him to a team that will.

Chickenmans list of "success" stories coached by French : Matt Perreault, John Carlson, Jay Beagle, Karl Alzner, Cody Eakin, Thomas Fleischmann, Michael Neuvirth, Braden Holtby, and Demitri Orlov

Oh god get Jaky out of there ASAP so he can be better than all those plugs combined! (obviously they are good players but most of us have Jake projected much higher than that list of players )