The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

He played with Cracknell and Prust the whole game. You won't expect much offense but rather learn the defensive side of the game with these two.

Despite this, he was very good last night. He was sound defensively, thought he looked rather on-task. Threw some hits around, got some shots off, cycled the puck well down the boards.

I think this game was to evaluate the top 6 rather than the bottom 6. Top 6 other than Sedin/Sedin is rather anyone's guess up until this point. When WD said he'll think about that line (Baertschi/Horvat/Virtanen) in the near future, it might be foreshadowing that Virtanen probably made the team ---- at least for the 9 games.

Here's hoping Virtanen sticks around for those 9 games.

Edited by Odd.

He played with Cracknell and Prust the whole game. You won't expect much offense but rather learn the defensive side of the game with these two.

Despite this, he was very good last night. He was sound defensively, thought he looked rather on-task. Threw some hits around, got some shots off, cycled the puck well down the boards.

I think this game was to evaluate the top 6 rather than the bottom 6. Top 6 other than Sedin/Sedin is rather anyone's guess up until this point. When WD said he'll think about that line (Baertschi/Horvat/Virtanen) in the near future, it might be foreshadowing that Virtanen probably made the team ---- at least for the 9 games.

Here's hoping Virtanen sticks around for those 9 games.

I hope Virtanen made it. Yesterday seemed like they were putting him on 4th which is probably where he would start the season.

On the other hand, I think they wanted to make sure that Mccaan could play at the nhl level and wanted to double check

Sad that Virt got the least amount of icetime last night. Thought he deserved more. 2 shots on net and 3 hits ain't bad for only playing 10 min.

The thing that worries me is Willie treating him like the next Kassian and destroying his confidence.

I'd like to see them try

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baerstchi Horvat Virtanen

Sutter McCann Vrbata

Higgins Vey Hansen

Dorsett (filling in on 4th while Higgins is out)

Acknowledge mistake and waive or trade

Prust

Acknowledge that Gaunce has impressed much more than initial evaluation and move him back to centre once he gets back to Utica.

Gaunce has great hockey sense and speed is much better than advertised. He would have been a great 4th line centre to start the season but the canucks messed with his development. Time to acknowledge that (and kudos to Gaunce for believing in himself and training his butt off) and move him back to centre. As soon as he has acclimated to centre again and doing well on draws, bring him up and put him at 4 c and move Vey to 14th forward (after Dorsett becomes 13th) or trade/Waive him.

All 4 lines have the ability to score and has at least 1 guy that is a solid defensively.

Another option is to maximize returns at the deadline this year.

That means play all the vets we want to trade in ideal situations.

Sedin Sedin Burrows (no don't trade Burr)

Baerstchi Horvat Vrbata (pad stats and trade Vrby at deadline)

Higgins Sutter Virtanen/Hansen (trade Higgy at deadline)

Dorsett Vey Hansen/Virtanen

Immediately trade or waive Prust

Deal Vrbata and Higgins at the deadline.

After deadline

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baerstchi Horvat Virtanen

Shinkauruk Sutter Hansen

Grenier Vey Gaunce

Next season have McCaan up and make final decision on Vey.

His presence on the forecheck will help us, especially against teams from the east who aren't expecting it as much. I want to see him used more on the PP though, because he has a good shot and we need him to get some confidence with it too.

His speed allows him to always be in position defensively

The defenseman let him down last game not getting shots through

I personally prefer him playing with skilled players but he still had a good game

Fatigue may be playing into things as well

Start of the season and he's played a lot between the young stars and preseason plus practicing

The kids still getting used to the pro game

In the whl it's more of a weekend couple games plus s few practices