The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Jake is not benefiting from a Horvat that is doing nothing, and neither is Baertchi - put them both out with McCann for a few shifts and let Horvat watch - Horvat is zero for this year - accomplishing nothing. He needs to get his donkey in gear.  The centre is supposed to be crating chances for his wingers, and all Horvat is concerned with is creating chances for Horvat.

Hahah, wow... calm down bud. Horvat has been responsible and has made smart plays every night so far, the points will come. When Bo goes, so too do the Nucks, so it's understandable that you're getting worried... but Jake is still just getting his toes wet, and every game he gets under his belt is a step forward for him and this franchise. 

• Upvote 1

Virtanen is 5th in rookie hits and only 2 behind lindberg who is first but has played twice the amount of games.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/defensive/sort/hits/position/rookies

He is also up there for most hits per game and per 60 minutes, so he isnt scoring but he is playing physical for sure.

you may be young, but you get the importance on physical play.  Jake brings the total package.  

something nylander and ehlers dont bring

teams need the super skilled guys to play a tough game too.  Like the way the Twins hang on to the puck and take a beating.  I don't see any of that in those two softies you mentioned.  They play like Baertchi.  I wish Baer would hold onto the puck more.  Is Virtanen playing with Baer and BoHo?

Jake nailed whoever it was in Edmonton, then Baer had a breakaway, then they got benched.

WD has to stop irrationally scratching his youth if he wants them to be confident or aggressive. And I think he'll start letting them loose soon. 

He ended up taking two Oilers out of the play.  Last couple of interviews, Willie sounds like he wants them to start being more aggressive and worry less about making mistakes.

He ended up taking two Oilers out of the play.  Last couple of interviews, Willie sounds like he wants them to start being more aggressive and worry less about making mistakes.

Well that's how they were playing, but less and less so as they get benched for silly reasons. I think WD is gonna loosen the leash though. 

They weren't benchings per se, just that Willie shortens his bench in the third and has the kids "watch" for the most part.  I don't think he's had any problem with their play, but for now wants to go with the veterans in crunch time.  Once Willie feels more comfortable and confident in them they'll start getting more ice.

Are we really turning on Horvat this quickly after his final half of last year and post season? Bo is not just a grinder and was the right pick at 9. Sure, he's slumping a bit to start the year but a lot of 2nd year players slump. Including Nathan Mckinnon (sp), the 1st overall pick in Bo's draft year. This may not even be a sophomore slump, he could just be plain in a slump but even so lots of good players go through rough patches and have slumps.

I'm certainly not saying Horvat was the wrong pick - I'd pick him over Domi any day, but building a team is more about just taking the best player available. It's about putting together a good young core with different strengths. That's how you build a Cup winning team. You don't just go out there every single draft and pick the same type of player because he's the "best available" player or fits a mould that the management like.

We've drafted Horvat, Virtanen and Boeser lately with our first round picks - 3 almost identical players. They're all powerforwards up front who can play physically, skate reasonably well and were goal scorers in junior. Fantastic. Problem is, this new young core have no really good playmakers with high offensive IQ or talent.

Benning knows this as well, which is why he flipped Calgary our 2nd (Kylington essentially) for Baertschi, to bring some pure offensive talent into our prospect pool. The issue there is that he's quite frankly not that elite.

All I'm saying is that we SHOULD HAVE drafted a more balanced bunch of kids with our high picks. We had Horvat as a fantastic building block, and with the 6th overall we should have gone to draft someone with elite high-end offensive talent like Nylander or even Ehlers (although I'm not sold on the latter) to complement our powerforwards. Instead we have a very one dimensional prospect group now who simply cannot score because they aren't offensively gifted enough.

You look at Chicago's core and they have a MIX of players who give them success when put together. Toews is a two-way center, Kane is a pure offensive talent who doesn't play physically, Hossa is a powerforward, the list goes on. That's how you build a team - you find the best player available AT THEIR ROLE and put them together, you don't just mash a bunch of individuals who you think will do well in the playoffs.

I'd much rather have a prospect pool of Horvat + Nylander + Boeser, or Domi + Virtanen + Roy than the three similar Horvat + Virtanen + Boeser.

• Upvote 1

Instead we have a very one dimensional prospect group now who simply cannot score because they aren't offensively gifted enough.

I'd much rather have a prospect pool of Horvat + Nylander + Boeser, or Domi + Virtanen + Roy than the three similar Horvat + Virtanen + Boeser.

When's the facepalm emoticon coming back?

I'm certainly not saying Horvat was the wrong pick - I'd pick him over Domi any day, but building a team is more about just taking the best player available. It's about putting together a good young core with different strengths. That's how you build a Cup winning team. You don't just go out there every single draft and pick the same type of player because he's the "best available" player or fits a mould that the management like.

We've drafted Horvat, Virtanen and Boeser lately with our first round picks - 3 almost identical players. They're all powerforwards up front who can play physically, skate reasonably well and were goal scorers in junior. Fantastic. Problem is, this new young core have no really good playmakers with high offensive IQ or talent.

Benning knows this as well, which is why he flipped Calgary our 2nd (Kylington essentially) for Baertschi, to bring some pure offensive talent into our prospect pool. The issue there is that he's quite frankly not that elite.

All I'm saying is that we SHOULD HAVE drafted a more balanced bunch of kids with our high picks. We had Horvat as a fantastic building block, and with the 6th overall we should have gone to draft someone with elite high-end offensive talent like Nylander or even Ehlers (although I'm not sold on the latter) to complement our powerforwards. Instead we have a very one dimensional prospect group now who simply cannot score because they aren't offensively gifted enough.

You look at Chicago's core and they have a MIX of players who give them success when put together. Toews is a two-way center, Kane is a pure offensive talent who doesn't play physically, Hossa is a powerforward, the list goes on. That's how you build a team - you find the best player available AT THEIR ROLE and put them together, you don't just mash a bunch of individuals who you think will do well in the playoffs.

you're entitled to your opinion.  May I ask where you get your hockey knowledge from?  

I wish we could send him to the AHL. 

He isn't ready for the NHL but in dub he'll revert back to relying on tendencies that won't succeed against NHL defenders.

Kid's an enigma.

That has been said of many NHL prospects. My take is that if you are going to become a good NHLer you should be coachable. If Virtanen can't rid himself of poor junior tendencies (with or without good coaching) while playing in the WHL, he'll face a lot harder problems later on. 

That has been said of many NHL prospects. My take is that if you are going to become a good NHLer you should be coachable. If Virtanen can't rid himself of poor junior tendencies (with or without good coaching) while playing in the WHL, he'll face a lot harder problems later on. 

I agree with you but he also won't develop with 5 minutes and 38 seconds of ice time. I mean, I understand the coach's perspective but... rolling 3 lines is costing us 3rd periods. Also, you gotta have a little more trust in the young guns. Virtanen is in a tough spot for sure!