The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Virtanen needs to do more then just hit; he needs to start producing offence, take a page of hansen the way hansen is hustling; that's the way Virtanen should be playing rite now but unfortunately he is playing like a 4th line grinder. he needs to take the puck to the net, he needs to shoot the puck. DId Benning just draft him for his hitting?

• Upvote 1

Virtanen needs to do more then just hit; he needs to start producing offence, take a page of hansen the way hansen is hustling; that's the way Virtanen should be playing rite now but unfortunately he is playing like a 4th line grinder. he needs to take the puck to the net, he needs to shoot the puck. DId Benning just draft him for his hitting?

woah relax on the 19 year old

Rookies make mistakes. It's not an excuse. It's a fact. It's been proven countless times by rookies throughout the entire career of hockey. It doesn't take a bloody rocket scientist to understand this.

Go outside. Blow off some steam. Get some sense back. He's learning. Let him learn. The moment we start badgering our 19-year-old rookies 18 games into the season is the moment we might as well just stop cheering for the team altogether. Seriously, what kind of fan are you?

I think the main qualm about Virtanen is that for some reason he was deemed good enough to play in the NHL by JB. Now, if you're deemed good enough to play for the big boys at 19, you better be able to at least hold your own.

He shouldn't have skipped the process that guys like Shink and Gaunce are going through, he's not that outstanding of a talent. the latter two have done their time, have a matured, and pose a better reason for being able to take the next step into the NHL. 

Edited by guntrix

This is why CDC gets such a bad rep. We finally get rookies and everyone gets excited. Then, suddenly, fans start taking these rookies for granted and start treating them like they've been making mistakes for years, only it's been 18 games.

I think the main qualm about Virtanen is that for some reason he was deemed good enough to play in the NHL by JB. Now, if you're deemed good enough to play for the big boys at 19, you better be able to at least hold your own.

He shouldn't have skipped the process that guys like Shink and Gaunce are going through, he's not that outstanding of a talent. the latter two have done their time, have a matured, and pose a better reason for being able to take the next step into the NHL. 

He hasn't skipped the process though. He outplayed Shinkaruk and Gaunce, which just shows how good of a player he can become. If you deserve to be on the team with WD then you deserve to be on the team.

EDIT: You know what? I know you haven't like Virt from the start, so I'll say this: Virtanen's going on be on this team for a long time whether you like it or not. Complaining about him's going to make zero difference to the equation.

Edited by The Lock

He hasn't skipped the process though. He outplayed Shinkaruk and Gaunce, which just shows how good of a player he can become. If you deserve to be on the team with WD then you deserve to be on the team.

EDIT: You know what? I know you haven't like Virt from the start, so I'll say this: Virtanen's going on be on this team for a long time whether you like it or not. Complaining about him's going to make zero difference to the equation.

It's precisely because I care for this team that I'm against his inclusion, at least for now.

And for the record, I'd love for him to become a great player. Doesn't change the fact that he clearly doesn't belong right now.

I also agree that everything that is said in this forum makes no difference. My complaints won't make him worse and your support won't make him better.

• Upvote 1

I have to disagree with you. He did not outplay Gaunce and Gaunce should technically have his spot instead. 

I think a really big factor that JB doesn't want to say is that while Jake has many tools in his tool belt, he is lacking one MAJOR one which could result in his career becoming a 3rd line grinder rather than a star which would seem like a Bust for such a high pick. 

He either has poor hockey iq or has not been coached the right way as his on ice  decisions are very poor. 

As a result, the first and common option is to send him back to junior to have him work on it. The problem is, the Hitmen does not give 2 craps about developing Jake so that he reaches his full potential. All they care about is winning games now and as a result, he was used in precarious ways last year where he was seeing limited ice time or playing in roles that did not help work on his deficiencies. 

JB has identified that the situation will remain the same or even worse (as there will be even more scrutiny) on Virtanen if he disappoints again while playing Junior this year. 

As a result, he has kept him up with the big club so that they can monitor his development closely and work with him as much as possible to reduce the chance that he busts. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the AHL next year if he doesn't make great gains this season as they can still control his development and the manner in which he is coached and deployed while playing in Utica under Green. 

I realize that this does not seem "fair"  to players like Gaunce and Shink but I agree and support Benning for this decision. I don't really care about fairness. I want the canucks to win a cup. The chances of that happening will increase dramatically if Virtanen becomes a player who plays a pivotal role on the team rather than a 4th line grinder like an Oreskovich or Glass. This year and next year doesn't really matter as the canucks have no chance of winning the cup. I want this team to do everything they can to set themselves up for success in 3-5 years for a legitimate shot at the cup. This means developing Jake the right way in Vancouver and probably obtaining another high draft pick this year due to where we end in the standings along with additional draft picks we obtain by trading some vets at the deadline. 

• Upvote 2

Oh I understand this, that's why I always said we shouldn't have him in our roster this season. He should be down in junior until he can refine his game a bit more.

McCann isn't making these mistakes, so not ALL rookies make mistakes. It's not that simple. Some rookies deserve to be here, JV does not. You can't keep justifying these mistakes because they're costing us games.

Let him learn? At what cost? Another 2 points on the standings?

I know that having rookies in your lineup is a double-edged sword, because you get to fast-track the development of players at the cost of these mistakes, inconsistent offensive production and overall a bit of a worse team than a stacked contending team full of veterans in their prime. But we've got the balance all wrong I believe. We were close, and the good teams like the Blackhawks integrate their rookies well with their veterans. They don't have too many unproven kids in their lineup, and the ones that are in there (like Panarin) are particularly exceptional. If they're not good enough, they don't make the roster, it's that simple.

I still believe we are playing too many rookies this season. People keep saying it's a great "youth movement" but just having young guys isn't necessarily a good thing. I think McCann belongs here and we need him at center because we don't have a 3C/4C. I think Hutton belongs here because he's our best puck mover and we don't have another guy like him in our organization. I think Horvat belongs here because he's our 2nd best center on the depth chart right now and we need him. Virtanen on the other hand, we do not need him in our lineup at this very moment. It isn't essential that he become a Canuck this season. We've got hitters and crashers in Prust, Dorsett, Gaunce and even Cracknell. We've got young scorers like Shinkaruk and Gaunce who can fill his role better.

I'm just saying we should have played Shinkaruk or Gaunce in Virtanen's role instead of Virtanen, and sent Virtanen back to junior for a year. Let him make his mistakes THERE where he won't hurt the team, and let him develop and get better playing 20 minutes a night over there while we have Shinkaruk or Gaunce up in Vancouver.

Now that ship has sailed, I think WD needs to bite the bullet and scratch Virtanen every other game for Shinkaruk.

I've see McCaan make a lot of mistakes. Failing easy clears, throwing the puck up the middle for it to be intercepted, even having his head down on that Larsson hit.

I also thought his hit on Phaneuf was fine. It wasn't in the numbers and wasn't high. That hit was probably the only exciting part of the game for me.

Edit: Also why are you never in here when Jake has a good game? 

Edited by Delta76
  • Upvote 1

Keeping Virtanen over Gaunce was a huge mistake. Still think he could have used another season in Jr to work on puck skills. 

WD is in rookie overload, his twitches and ticks are getting worse. 

He chews leather now in favour of gum, he was going through too many packs.  

• Upvote 1

This kid is getting some rediculous treatment at the moment. 

Indeed - But not from the coaching staff.

If someone thinks that Virtanen should be in juniors, that's one thing, but to qualify it with rediculous, tunnelled and inflammatory impressions of his play is something different entirely. You try to reduce his entire game to that of just 'hitting' then try to reduce 'hitting' as a completely irrelevant part of the game, or, more recently, a tactic for 'dirty' plays (one that failed to get any recognition by an on ice official, an announcer, or anyone else for that matter). Are you really trying to paint that picture - that he's a dirty player - because if you are,  that's actually kind of discusting.

Edited by Canorth
  • Upvote 1

Keeping Virtanen over Gaunce was a huge mistake. Still think he could have used another season in Jr to work on puck skills. 

WD is in rookie overload, his twitches and ticks are getting worse. 

He chews leather now in favour of gum, he was going through too many packs.  

He's here over Guance because their contributions aren't that far off each other and Virtanen's the more dynamic player with a skill set we lack while Gaunce's is more redundant. Keeping Virtanen up also gives the team more depth (particularly for the impending Higgins trade). That's it. 

The entire team is currently playing like crap (Jake included), particularly our bruised and paper thin D. Anyone pinning this loss (or any of our recent ones) on Virtanen or any other single player (particularly any rookie) needs to give their head a shake. 

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 4

He's here over Guance because they're contributions aren't that far off each other and Virtanen's the more dynamic player with a skill set we lack while Gaunce's is more redundant. Keeping Virtanen up also gives the team more depth (particularly for the impending Higgins trade). That's it. 

The entire team is currently playing like crap (Jake included), particularly our bruised and paper thin D. Anyone pinning this loss (or any of our recent ones) on Virtanen or any other single player (particularly any rookie) needs to give their head a shake. 

I just think him playing on this team this year is a waste of his ELCz

Not surprising that the people bashing Virtanen are the ones who wanted Nylander or Ehlers. Move on.

Bashing?

Why would my opinion on what I personally believe is best for his development have anything to do with Nylander or Ehlers. 

I think he will end up being a better player down the road if he takes the path through the AHL.

There are countless examples of players careers ruined by bringing them into the league too early. 

I can't think of one example of a player spending too much time in Jr and the AHL. 

We aren't winning the Stanley cup sooner with him in the lineup. We need him to be exactly what he is projected to be when our window reopens in 5 years.