The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

A 3rd liner now at 19 years old and a whopping 15 games in to his NHL career does not equal a career third liner any more than Horvat being our 4C last year meant that was his ceiling either.

Despite all the hand wringing of exactly that last year.

Jebus you people are impatient.

I was projecting, not talking definitively. 

The guy I was responding to was basically alluding to the fact that JV may not ever be the offensive guy we need but that it's alright because he can hit and is very fast. 

14 hours ago, guntrix said:

I think you miss the whole point.

It DOES matter what JV amounts to. He's our highest pick in more than a decade. When JB picked no. 6, the onus was on him to pick a player that was gonna be a key piece of the puzzle in the team's future.

Picking 3rd liners at 6th overall will not make the Canucks successful. We absolutely need Virtanen to become a consistent top six forward. 

And how soon do you expect that to happen?  How long before the twins were Elite? I bet you, like most, had written off the greatest players in franchise history early as well.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Any kind of prognostication like that on 19-year-olds after 15 games is reactionary silliness.

Silliness? Jake is not the only 19 year old in the NHL. And to the others, I judge base on what they have shown.

If I say McCann is playing like a top 6, based on the 15 plus games he played will also be called silliness.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, guntrix said:

I think you miss the whole point.

It DOES matter what JV amounts to. He's our highest pick in more than a decade. When JB picked no. 6, the onus was on him to pick a player that was gonna be a key piece of the puzzle in the team's future.

Picking 3rd liners at 6th overall will not make the Canucks successful. We absolutely need Virtanen to become a consistent top six forward. 

When Jake was drafted at 6th overall in 2014 he was a 17 year old kid who scored 45 goals in the league; he was extremely physical and considered one of the best skaters in his draft - well worth the investment. However, he did not jump into the league as a 45 goal scorer; rather, he could only muster 16 goals in his rookie year - because he struggled as all rookies do. If Jakes coaches projected him to top out at 16 goals in the dub he might not have even been drafted at all. But low and behold he developed and grew as a player from his rookie season in a new and tougher league.

Present day: The kid is 3 months removed from his 19th birthday. He has played 15 games in the best league on the planet. He has both struggled and done well. This does not mean that he has reached his pinnacle as a 3rd liner. This means he is finding his way in the league, just like he had to find his way in the WHL when he first entered it. Just like Ehler's is finding out now - apparently the league has figured him out and he too will have to adjust (1 secondary assist in the last 8 games I believe). That's what happens, rookies struggle.  The draft is a snap shot in their development. It is how they have progressed to a certain period in time. For all we know, Hutton could become the most important piece to a future cup run this team has, and he was drafted no where near 6th overall. We need Jake to become the best player he can be - regardless of his draft position.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

You havent seen Nylander or Ehlers play more than one game and you labelled them busts.  Just stop talking man you are embarrassing yourself.  None of your logic makes any sense. 

you certainly must enjoy personal attacks.  It's okay, of course, you're entitled to your opinion.  As a true Canuck's fan, I see the value in our top prospects.  I admit I'm not a fan of soft players - Vey and Baer, Nylander and Ehlers - and see them as only helpful in winning Cups if they are elite.  If they are not elite, they are busts.  Logically, those four soft (but skilled) players will bust out of the league and be off to the Euro leagues.  

see how easy that is - no personal attacks - only my opinion. :)  Now you try.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Wasn't attacking you I was actually giving you advice.

Oh thanks for clearing that up.  I like useful advice; it's always appreciated.  Now back to how JV (our prospect) is better than a Jet and a Leaf prospect, considering this a Canuck's board.

Jake is learning the ins and outs of being a regular NHL player.  Consistency for any young player is always something to work on...his intensity and defensive awareness needs to improve no doubt.  Promising but definitely seeing that an extra year in junior definitely would've not hurt for his development

I think we have messed up the development on this kid and im glad management has sent down Hunter back to the AHL. Mike Babcock the worlds greatest coach is making Nylander work on his game, Nylander sits at 19 points in the AHL, while we have Virtanen  he is not getting anything done offensively and Willie is a clown when it comes to development, I think VEY has screwed up his brain or something, he puts DORSETT! on the powerplay! he has zero patience with young guys I hope they send Jake back down and tell him to work on his board play and skill development.

• Upvote 2

Jake had a pretty decent game tonight to be fair, a couple of good chances and his skating is something our team really lacks. However, it's hard to ignore the fact that his very best game of the last 10 goes scoreless.

I know I never said I wanted Ehlers over Jake, just Nylander, but watching Ehlers and Jake go head-to-head it's obvious who's more NHL-ready now. Ehlers belongs in this league, he's thinking and seeing the game miles ahead of other players whereas Jake just seems a step or two behind the play RIGHT NOW. I'm sure he'll catch up eventually, but he's the sort of player we need to slowly develop, not rush into the NHL.

The Leafs have a pretty thin forward group up front yet Babcock has sent Nylander down to the AHL to become more consistent and learn to play with men. He did in the Swedish league, now he's getting used to the North American game and what's he gone and done? Lead the AHL in scoring. That kid is going to be special.

I just wished we took a similar sort of route with Virtanen and slowed down his development. Nylander could easily play in the NHL right now but the Leafs know they have a superstar on their hands and don't want to break him just yet.

Another good comparison is Draisaitl. He is one of the best players in the NHL right now in his second year of play after playing half of last year with the Oilers, half in junior. I hope the Canucks think along similar lines and are willing to bite the bullet and send Jake back to Calgary around the 30-40 game mark of the season.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I think we have messed up the development on this kid and im glad management has sent down Hunter back to the AHL. Mike Babcock the worlds greatest coach is making Nylander work on his game, Nylander sits at 19 points in the AHL, while we have Virtanen  he is not getting anything done offensively and Willie is a clown when it comes to development, I think VEY has screwed up his brain or something, he puts DORSETT! on the powerplay! he has zero patience with young guys I hope they send Jake back down and tell him to work on his board play and skill development.

Your posting development has been really messed up, being thrown into CDC before you're ready.  I hope management is seriously considering sending you down to work on your board play and skill development, both for your and CDC's long-term benefit.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Your posting development has been really messed up, being thrown into CDC before you're ready.  I hope management is seriously considering sending you down to work on your board play and skill development, both for your and CDC's long-term benefit.

We just didn't give him enough opportunity

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Oh thanks for clearing that up.  I like useful advice; it's always appreciated.  Now back to how JV (our prospect) is better than a Jet and a Leaf prospect, considering this a Canuck's board.

Miller is better than Price. Prust is a better player than Crosby. And Alex Edler makes Shea Weber look like a mediocre defenseman. This is the Canucks forum so I can make any inane comparison that pops up in my head, and nobody should bother to argue otherwise because Canucks fans should not be seen favoring other players.

Your act is tiresome and its not even something we haven't seen on this board before. You can try and argue otherwise but it is trolling. Make some ridiculously over the top statement and when people call you out on it, pretend that it some how makes someone a lesser fan because they are defending players from another team. If you think pretending to be a homer some how makes everyone blind to your act then you are mistaken. Like I said your act is not something we haven't seen before.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Toews said:

Miller is better than Price. Prust is a better player than Crosby. And Alex Edler makes Shea Weber look like a mediocre defenseman. This is the Canucks forum so I can make any inane comparison that pops up in my head, and nobody should bother to argue otherwise because Canucks fans should not be seen favoring other players.

Your act is tiresome and its not even something we haven't seen on this board before. You can try and argue otherwise but it is trolling. Make some ridiculously over the top statement and when people call you out on it, pretend that it some how makes someone a lesser fan because they are defending players from another team. If you think pretending to be a homer some how makes everyone blind to your act then you are mistaken. Like I said your act is not something we haven't seen before.

He likes a certain type of player over another. He would rather support the players we drafted rather than perseverated over and prop up the ones we didn't - 1 1/2 years ago. He gets confused with the level of attention other teams prospects get on this board - as do I. He doesn't lie or make stuff up to support his case - as do some. He has his opinion,  that's it.

People call him out and are rude to him but he doesn't retaliate - ever. Which, I understand, can be really annoying for people who are trying to hurt him. Is he just messing with us - Maybe,  but who cares, he's not doing any harm. 

Edited by Canorth
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Jake had a pretty decent game tonight to be fair, a couple of good chances and his skating is something our team really lacks. However, it's hard to ignore the fact that his very best game of the last 10 goes scoreless.

I know I never said I wanted Ehlers over Jake, just Nylander, but watching Ehlers and Jake go head-to-head it's obvious who's more NHL-ready now. Ehlers belongs in this league, he's thinking and seeing the game miles ahead of other players whereas Jake just seems a step or two behind the play RIGHT NOW. I'm sure he'll catch up eventually, but he's the sort of player we need to slowly develop, not rush into the NHL.

The Leafs have a pretty thin forward group up front yet Babcock has sent Nylander down to the AHL to become more consistent and learn to play with men. He did in the Swedish league, now he's getting used to the North American game and what's he gone and done? Lead the AHL in scoring. That kid is going to be special.

I just wished we took a similar sort of route with Virtanen and slowed down his development. Nylander could easily play in the NHL right now but the Leafs know they have a superstar on their hands and don't want to break him just yet.

Another good comparison is Draisaitl. He is one of the best players in the NHL right now in his second year of play after playing half of last year with the Oilers, half in junior. I hope the Canucks think along similar lines and are willing to bite the bullet and send Jake back to Calgary around the 30-40 game mark of the season.

This..

8 hours ago, Toews said:

There is a difference between prospects chosen in the same (recent) draft, and the established players you mentioned. 

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but to imply a poster is fishing - on a CANUCKS board - by supporting his team's prospects is illogical IMHO. 

Some might think (not myself) that it is you, whom is casting a net.^_^

^^That? really? News flash for ya. We can't use a similar route with Jake, because he wasn't drafted out of Europe or the USHL. If he was then sure I would completely agree that his development path should have taken him through the AHL. We're rebuilding people. This year and next year, when Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Grenier are likely to make the team, will be bumpy rides. Hang on tight and put your mouthguard in.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

^^That? really? News flash for ya. We can't use a similar route with Jake, because he wasn't drafted out of Europe or the USHL. If he was then sure I would completely agree that his development path should have taken him through the AHL. We're rebuilding people. This year and next year, when Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Grenier are likely to make the team, will be bumpy rides. Hang on tight and put your mouthguard in.

This exactly.  I like how you both support our young players (prospects) and are practical too.  Guys like JV and JM are too good for the CHL, and they can't go to the AHL.  They are being developed here, and we need to realize it's the best for them.  If next season, they need more development, then they can go to the AHL.  It's a good plan.