The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

You're missing the whole point. In fact, other than addressing my use of English to convey that being a prospect is not like an office job, you haven't really addressed much else in my post. lol

Aside from your assumption (and yes it's just an assumption and not even a fact that we know of) that Gaunce would be upset over Virtanen beating him to a spot, there's nothing to even back up what you're saying. There's nothing to indicate that Gaunce would be upset. There's nothing to indicate that we was even disappointed. Period. Yet, somehow you seem convinced of it being the case? Yeah, good job there. Perhaps we should just make a bunch of other assumptions on this team while we're at it. Who needs evidence right? Evidence: totally overrated!

Laugh all you want. I'm not buying your argument one bit though. Especially when there's not a single piece of evidence to back it up.

Go back and read what I've written. I never said that he is for sure 100% upset and I never claimed that I have an evidence to suggest that he is upset. I did say normal people would feel upset about losing the spot to someone else, especially when you have done everything that you were asked and more. And I said that based on his interview, I actually think he will use getting cut as a motivation and work hard. 

And, I'm not laughing at you. I really like the way you think. It's great. It's good to know that the fans of this team think highly of their players and will support them no matter what.

Anyways, let's end this here.  No point arguing over this as I like Virtanen and Gaunce as much as you do.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, khay said:

Go back and read what I've written. I never said that he is for sure 100% upset and I never claimed that I have an evidence to suggest that he is upset. I did say normal people would feel upset about losing the spot to someone else, especially when you have done everything that you were asked and more. And I said that based on his interview, I actually think he will use getting cut as a motivation and work hard. 

And, I'm not laughing at you. I really like the way you think. It's great. It's good to know that the fans of this team think highly of their players and will support them no matter what.

Anyways, let's end this here.  No point arguing over this as I like Virtanen and Gaunce as much as you do.

dude you called him your son

12 minutes ago, Edlerberry said:

dude you called him your son

Dude, so what? What's your beef with it? It's just an expression. Do I have to of certain age to use such an expression?

I like The Lock's optimism. I feel like the things he said can only come from someone who is pure and innocent, most likely a young person which is the reason why I used that expression. And frankly, it reminded me of myself when I was a young fan of the Canucks :) LOL, can't believe I'm defending my use of the word "son" here. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

In some situations players can get frustrated and demand a trade. 

Shirokov for example left a lot of money to get a shot in the NHL. Played well the preseason, earned a spot on the roster. He did nothing and got sent down, played pretty well the rest of the year on the Moose.  This is fine.

The second season is where he got the shaft. Despite leading the Moose in both goals and assists (while sporting a +7 on a team with a lot of minuses)  he received only a two game call-up. What is even crazier is in his second game he scored and was then benched the rest of the game.

As much as we complain about Vey and Baertschi it is great to see them get a real opportunity. We will never know what Shirokov could have become if given the chance. 

Gaunce still has plenty of time. Jensen has had his fair share of opportunities, but just isn't that good. If he scored 60 points while adding some grit to his game he would earn a roster spot. Until this year Shink hadn't earned a spot either, but has been lights out this season. It was nice that we rewarded him with a game.

Virtanen and McCann, because of their situation, have to play in the NHL or get sent back to junior and I am sure the other prospects understand that. Vey was in a do or die situation, same as Baertschi this year. Vey is probably done in the NHL. I hope Jensen and Gaunce get a similar opportunity if it does come to that. 

Edited by canucklehead44

On 27/11/2015, 10:25:28, canuckledraggin said:

^^

There's a strange thing that happens when I'm watching the game and one of our young players jumps over the boards. I end up having my eyes glued to that player and just follow him all over the ice. When it's a veteran line and I'm really not analyzing anyone's play, I'm back to following the puck around and watching the play.

Does anyone else do this? I'm just wondering why people being so hyper-critical of his mistakes, when they really haven't cost the team games or even goals for that matter. 

When I see him in the defensive zone hovering around doing little circles in the high slot, he's playing his position. If he was to put himself out of position and go charging down into the corner, then he runs the risk of getting caught . If the puck gets past him to the D-man at the blueline then that's a blown assignment and his man is going to have a wide open shot from the point. For all of the crap I see him taking, I think he's playing a smart simple game and I think people are expecting to see something different.

If I compare it to watching Horvat last year, I see a very similar style of play. There were times during the 1st half of the season last year, when I would watch Horvat and I could swear his line was on the ice, but he wouldn't even be in view of the camera. He would be out in the neutral zone making sure he was backing up his linemates. Granted Bo had tougher assignments playing center, but I still see the similarities. In many ways I think JV is ahead of where Bo was this time last year.

I disagree. Horvat had a very stable solid rookie year. He made minimal mistakes and didn't take any risks. JV is also not taking any risks however, he has made some big mistakes such as blindly throwing the puck up ice where it gets intercepted in the slot for a scoring chance or taking a hooking penalty 180ft from his own goal while forechecking. 

I would rather see JV eliminate those types of mistakes and take more risks such as running an unexpecting D-man on a forecheck rather than hanging back at the blue line. 

14 hours ago, khay said:

Dude, so what? What's your beef with it? It's just an expression. Do I have to of certain age to use such an expression?

I like The Lock's optimism. I feel like the things he said can only come from someone who is pure and innocent, most likely a young person which is the reason why I used that expression. And frankly, it reminded me of myself when I was a young fan of the Canucks :) LOL, can't believe I'm defending my use of the word "son" here. Thanks!

Full Definition of SON

a  :  a human male offspring especially of human beings 

b  :  a male adopted child 

c  :  a human male descendant 
capitalized  :  the second person of the Trinity 
:  a person closely associated with or deriving from a formative agent (as a nation, school, or race)

4 hours ago, Edlerberry said:

Full Definition of SON

a  :  a human male offspring especially of human beings 

b  :  a male adopted child 

c  :  a human male descendant 
capitalized  :  the second person of the Trinity 
:  a person closely associated with or deriving from a formative agent (as a nation, school, or race)

In years gone by, elder people often called boys or very young men 'son'.  It was not an insult.

On a side note...most older people would love to be young again in body, but would want to retain their knowledge and experience that age has given them.  Without that, it's just 'youth being wasted on the young.'

Gaunce is the only prospect that has played better than Virt.  He is a mature young man who undoubtebly understands the business of hockey.  He knows he will be on the team later this season or next.  Don't worry...be happy.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

In years gone by, elder people often called boys or very young men 'son'.  It was not an insult.

On a side note...most older people would love to be young again in body, but would want to retain their knowledge and experience that age has given them.  Without that, it's just 'youth being wasted on the young.'

Gaunce is the only prospect that has played better than Virt.  He is a mature young man who undoubtebly understands the business of hockey.  He knows he will be on the team later this season or next.  Don't worry...be happy.

Calling a person boy is the insult, especially if they are of colour.  I have never heard son referred to as an insult.  Gaunce is not anywhere near the player JV is.  Sorry, I like the kid, but I don't see him as an NHL player unless he accepts he needs to play a bottom six role, which means he has to engage in the physical game.  He needs to play up and down his wing and bang, making it hard on the other team.  If he learns to fight too - even better.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You don't need to fight and be the most physical guy to play in a "bottom 6"  Gaunce could easily become a Chris Higgins type player.  Is Chris physical? No  Does he fight? No  was he a good 3rd line player during his career?  Yes.

And why do you have such a hard on for Jake?  Honestly, what has he shown you that makes him so valuable?

he is son

jakeson

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You don't need to fight and be the most physical guy to play in a "bottom 6"  Gaunce could easily become a Chris Higgins type player.  Is Chris physical? No  Does he fight? No  was he a good 3rd line player during his career?  Yes.

And why do you have such a hard on for Jake?  Honestly, what has he shown you that makes him so valuable?

You have an interesting way of putting things, which some might find offencive.  My guess is you are a young male.  I'm okay with you though.  You keep me on my toes, and thinking young.  Your way of presenting arguments is actually stimulating - just not in the way you propose.  JV has a skill set we have not seen here since TL was young.  He's heavy, plays heavy, is a terrific skater, and can shoot the puck.  Plus, unlike TL, JV is mean.  These characteristics make him a much sought after commodity.  

As for Guance, he does not have anywhere near the skill level of Higgins, as indicated by their respective draft positions.  He's more at the Prust level.  That's why he needs to be a physical player if he wants an NHL career. IMO

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Calling a person boy is the insult, especially if they are of colour.  I have never heard son referred to as an insult.  Gaunce is not anywhere near the player JV is.  Sorry, I like the kid, but I don't see him as an NHL player unless he accepts he needs to play a bottom six role, which means he has to engage in the physical game.  He needs to play up and down his wing and bang, making it hard on the other team.  If he learns to fight too - even better.  

Maybe I wasn't clear about what I've said.  I meant that boys or young men were often called 'son' in years gone by and it wasn't considered an insult.

Regarding Gaunce/Virt...I believe that Gaunce outplayed Virt in the preseason.  He will be a bottom 6 player and hopefully Virt will be top 6.  No other prospect (other than McCann) has outplayed Virt.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Maybe I wasn't clear about what I've said.  I meant that boys or young men were often called 'son' in years gone by and it wasn't considered an insult.

Regarding Gaunce/Virt...I believe that Gaunce outplayed Virt in the preseason.  He will be a bottom 6 player and hopefully Virt will be top 6.  No other prospect (other than McCann) has outplayed Virt.

My apologies.  I misunderstood.:). I agree with all you say.

12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Jake has all that but hasn't put any of it together yet.   He's been extremely underwhelming thus far imo.

Gaunce and Higgins were both first round picks by the way, not to much seperation in that regard.

Comparing Gaunce to Prust this early on is almost insulting.  Gaunce's future looks much brighter than just being a Brandon Prust type of player

I can see your points for sure.  Maybe, I would like to see Guance play like Prust?  Then we would have a second line left winger?

12 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Our old Italian neighbor used to call me Sambo. Where does that leave me? :) 

Agree with your prospect assessment. That said it is hard to compare Virtanen and McCann. Their skillsets are pretty different. I'm happy with both. Virtanen brings physicality and size to a spot on the ice, with speed. IMHO his shot is under rated as well because he hasn't had many go in yet. As he settles into the NHL I expect he will win board battles and come away with the puck. Right now he is winning many of those battles but loses the puck. Puck possession in the NHL is everything and Virtanen has huge upside potential.

Fans are down on Virtanen, I think because of PPG and conversely high on McCann for that output. McCann is getting a bye on his poor FO% which leaves his line chasing the puck a lot. It is a very tough position to break in to and I think he is doing well.    

What do we think the chances of Virtanen and / or McCann being loaned to Team Canada for the WJC are?  

I've kinda got a hunch that this might happen.  We'd see Shink and Gaunce called up for the 2.5 weeks that the WJC takes to fill the void - those guys get some NHL seasoning, and Virt and McCann get to be leaders on Team Canada.  At this phase in everybody's development I don't think we'd see a huge drop off for the Canucks if those roster moves were made.

15 minutes ago, firestorm238 said:

What do we think the chances of Virtanen and / or McCann being loaned to Team Canada for the WJC are?  

I've kinda got a hunch that this might happen.  We'd see Shink and Gaunce called up for the 2.5 weeks that the WJC takes to fill the void - those guys get some NHL seasoning, and Virt and McCann get to be leaders on Team Canada.  At this phase in everybody's development I don't think we'd see a huge drop off for the Canucks if those roster moves were made.

Jake needs to go, his spot is not cemented like Jared's is and would be just as easily replaced by Gaunce seeing as he's not hitting anymore