The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

5 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Right.. cuz youre always right and Benning, our GM, is wrong! Screw you Benning!11!! Listen to us fans we know more than you!1!!.

I dont see you losting that in one of the 8 fire WD threads. So its okay to question the coach but not the gm? Never said i was right never said he was wrong.  Again everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i dont have to care what he thinks.

6 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

I dont see you losting that in one of the 8 fire WD threads. So its okay to question the coach but not the gm? Never said i was right never said he was wrong.  Again everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i dont have to care what he thinks.

Posted this on one of Fire WD thread.

"Canucks fired Torts two years ago and after a season and a quarter of a season you want Desjardins fired?

Is coaching really the issue on this team?"

Don't tell me I don't defend Willie. as he's not the problem on this team.

Edited by CANUCK-EXPRESS

4 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Your opinion is no worse than everyone who says he belongs in the NHL right now..I tend to agree with you..I think he might have been rushed a little for the sake of change.

The kid has talent and will be a regular soon enough.

I think that at the time the decision was made, keeping JV was the best of the two options. In retrospect, maybe it would have been better to send him down to Calgary. Then again, nobody knows how that was going to work out. Maybe playing 50% of games and getting to see how guys like the Sedins and Dorsett approach being a professional will turn out to be more beneficial. 

Just one of those things that is too hard to evaluate (the decision to keep him) because nobody knows how the alternative would have panned out. Can judge his play, and I agree that he needs to go to the WJHC. 

• Upvote 1

Send Virt to WJC and then to Jrs for rest of the season before the team hits the 40 game mark. Save a year from his UFA eligibility. Much more important than the 9 game mark. 

Hes clearly not ready yet.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Send Virt to WJC and then to Jrs for rest of the season before the team hits the 35 game mark. Save a year from his UFA eligibility. Much more important than the 9 game mark. 

Hes clearly not ready yet.

TTHHIISS

if benning re-signs hammer and blows a year on jake ill be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Then I'd suggested writing up a thesis on Virtanen's development and sending it in as a cover letter along with resume to President Trev.  Maybe Linden hired the wrong guy.

I dont know what you are suggesting here..that I should be the new GM because I stated an opinion..opinions are like you know what..everyone has one...I was never good at writing a thesis so Ill pass..but I would suggest if you ever write one,,use spell check.

Edited by ShakyWalton
  • Upvote 1

As I've said countless times in this thread, people just need to learn patience. It's something CDC evidently doesn't have, otherwise everyone would be letting Virtanen do his thing and learn how to play in the NHL rather than putting him in a league he's clearly outgrown.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, The Lock said:

As I've said countless times in this thread, people just need to learn patience. It's something CDC evidently doesn't have, otherwise everyone would be letting Virtanen do his thing and learn how to play in the NHL rather than putting him in a league he's clearly outgrown.

Clearly outgrown? Barely a ppg and playing on the second line does not scream "outgrown" 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Clearly outgrown? Barely a ppg and playing on the second line does not scream "outgrown" 

His development, according to the Canuck's choice to keep him here, was being retarded in 

Calgary.  If you have been to Calgary, you would understand.

6 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Bodychecking 6 foot 5 defensemen who are trying to bodycheck you while you're holding the puck screams "outgrown".

17 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I think that at the time the decision was made, keeping JV was the best of the two options. In retrospect, maybe it would have been better to send him down to Calgary. Then again, nobody knows how that was going to work out. Maybe playing 50% of games and getting to see how guys like the Sedins and Dorsett approach being a professional will turn out to be more beneficial. 

Just one of those things that is too hard to evaluate (the decision to keep him) because nobody knows how the alternative would have panned out. Can judge his play, and I agree that he needs to go to the WJHC. 

My theory is that JB is hoping to fast track the development of prospects in the desperate hope that they become impact players before the Sedins retire. I can understand the idea as we're hooped once the Sedins are gone for quite a while. I can see it working with McCann, I can see Virtanen being slightly ahead of the curve but in the long run for his peak seasons I think he should get sent down 

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

His development, according to the Canuck's choice to keep him here, was being retarded in 

Calgary.  If you have been to Calgary, you would understand.

I haven't been to Calgary but I find it hard to believe that playing top line minutes and working on his puck skills rather than just doing the dump and chase routine here in limited minutes is better for his development. I think management is thinking short term with Jake and hoping to have him be an impact guy before the Sedins retire is why he's not sent down. It's a stab in the dark and not the best for his entire career and a short sighted plan. 

11 hours ago, The Lock said:

Bodychecking 6 foot 5 defensemen who are trying to bodycheck you while you're holding the puck screams "outgrown".

OK, sure physically he literally has outgrown juniors. But not as a hockey player in the skills department. 

2 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I haven't been to Calgary but I find it hard to believe that playing top line minutes and working on his puck skills rather than just doing the dump and chase routine here in limited minutes is better for his development. I think management is thinking short term with Jake and hoping to have him be an impact guy before the Sedins retire is why he's not sent down. It's a stab in the dark and not the best for his entire career and a short sighted plan. 

OK, sure physically he literally has outgrown juniors. But not as a hockey player in the skills department. 

He's here, because this is better for his development as determined by real hockey people.  Not by us, who pretend to know what we're talking about.  And Calgary has something in their water that makes the population dim witted.  

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

He's here, because this is better for his development as determined by real hockey people.  Not by us, who pretend to know what we're talking about.  And Calgary has something in their water that makes the population dim witted.  

These "real" hockey people also have ticket sales to worry about and jobs they could lose if the team fails in the short term. It's not unreasonable to understand that they are pressured into making decisions that may not be best for the long term development. 

We can agree on the Calgary thing. It's just not right there. 

Edited by Ihatetomatoes
Calgary

Just now, Ihatetomatoes said:

These "real" hockey people also have ticket sales to worry about and jobs they could lose if the team fails in the short term. It's not unreasonable to understand that they are pressured into making decisions that may not be best for the long term development. 

So you agree then.  Having JV here gives us a better chance of winning now, so he must be ready if he's helping us win in the short term.  What's the problem?