The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Didn't hear him say "I'll cherish this moment for the rest of my life" or "career".......

What was the question from the reporter. Let me guess, " how special was it to meet the WCE"? Or something to that affect. The Canucks are celebrating the WCE, they are doing a promo to sell tickets. McCann and Virt are Canucks employees. What do you think he's going to say?

Yeah, he said it was incredible meeting those 3. I said earlier I'm sure Jake would be happy to meet them but it's not something he would cherish for the rest of his life..... Something you cherish for the rest of your life is the day your son is born, or something very very special in your life. 

He said he idolized them growing up. You believe that? Jared grew up in Ontario. Canucks weren't his favorite team, LA Kings were,  I'm sure you saw his reaction when he was drafted by the Canucks but you want me to believe he idolized Brendan Morrison growing up?  I bet you if the reporter asked McCann what number Morrison wore he wouldn't even know.

Not sure of your age but too many people on here act like they're 8 years old.

Watch the following video and look what the Leafs goalie said about Nelson Mandela at Nelson Mandela celebration night in Toronto, organised by MLSE, on the red carpet. These guys are given media training, they're trained to say this stuff..

Are you actually trying to argue that Jake wouldn't cherish His chance to meet The West Coast Express? That's just laughable. McCann is whatever, but Jake? Wow...lol

5 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

Why is it hard to believe that McCann liked Naslund growing up? He modeled his game after Kesler. 

You honestly believe a kid from ontario grow up idolizing Naslund? come on buddy Thats like a kid in vancouver idolizing Mike Hoffman

1 minute ago, Gstank29 said:

You honestly believe a kid from ontario grow up idolizing Naslund? come on buddy Thats like a kid in vancouver idolizing Mike Hoffman

Bad comparison.

Edited by Odd.

3 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Only kids who were alowed to idolize Gretzky were kids from Edmonton...

So now Naslund was Gretzky? Use your head people, McCann probably barely knew who Naslund was when he was in this prime, let alone idolize him. 

How many 7-12 year olds idolize players who play opposite coast and aren't huge stars in the league? and then ask yourself how many of those kids make the NHL, It's purely a PR move.

50 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

So now Naslund was Gretzky? Use your head people, McCann probably barely knew who Naslund was when he was in this prime, let alone idolize him. 

How many 7-12 year olds idolize players who play opposite coast and aren't huge stars in the league? and then ask yourself how many of those kids make the NHL, It's purely a PR move.

Any kid who is into hockey, at any age - especially these elite level talents - is going to know who the best players in the league are regardless of geographic location. 

Edited by Canorth
  • Upvote 1

It's exactly the same as Demko saying Cloutier was has favorite goalie growing up after he got drafted, and then, later on in the year he said it was Brodeur and Roy when a non Vancouver media based ask him the same question. He said Cloutier because he was a Canucks and Demko was drafted by the Canucks. 

These elite prospects go though Media training camps that are put on by there Agents.

Edited by Gstank29

unbelievable.. one of our prospects makes team Canada but if hes not in a top6 role its a disappointment

15 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Well as a 6th overall physically superior winger I would hope he was a force in almost all of his games. An NHL ready winger to boot? From what I saw I consider Jake to be lucky that he was even close to PPG with his disappointing play.  

It's going to be interesting to see the lines at the WJHC. If sent, will Jake be able to stick in a top 6 role with the abundance of crafty skilled players Canada is sending or will he be put into a third line checking/scoring role?  Don't be surprised if it's the latter.  They could use his speed and strength to open up the ice for the Marners and Points to work their magic, but his lack of hockey sense could be a burden to these guys imo.  Anything other than a top 6 role would be considered disappointing would it not?

Center

I grew up idolizing Nolan Ryan even though I am Canadian, a Jays fan, and was a side arm pitcher. That was reinforced after Ryan no-hit that great Jays team, not diminished. 

Maybe McCann rembers Naslund owning the Leafs, which he did, with his incredible skill and sniper shot. 

For a youngster that wanted to play like that, idolizing one of the top scorers in the NHL is hardly unbelievable. 

8 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Naslund was on the cover of an EA NHL video game. He was a marquee player. I'm sure he had many fans out-of-province.

As a young goalie growing up in Vancouver, I idolized Tommy Salo in Edmonton. Gotta believe some kids in eastern Canada loved Markus Naslund.

1 minute ago, nivlek604 said:

Anyone know how many days he going down ? I really hope he picks up an offensive edge down there.. sure I like his hits, but he needs more confidence out there rather than just looking to make a hit disregarding a loose puck. .

He's great at using his speed to get into the offensive zone. Where he's struggling is knowing what play to make when he gets there. That's something he needs to work on.

Having him play in the AHL where the pace is a bit slower may be helpful. This is another reason I want him to go to the World Juniors. He needs to slow down the game in his head. Right now he seems to be rushing plays a bit too much.