The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Horvat came back from Utica and had a great second half. Hopefully Virtanen can do the same. Can he still make it to the WJ?

But I have to say, props to McCann. He didn't get the benefit playing  with Utica during their playoff run and he came into the preseason and the NHL, more prepared than any other prospect. 

Edited by RyIe
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I still think the NHL needs to add a rule where every team can have one player with exceptional status that can be sent to the AHL one year early.

I think Virtanen would definitely benefit from playing in the AHL for awhile.

It would be nice if they could change this arrangement with the CHL.

If its in the best interest of the players development then it is in the best interest of the team that invested in drafting the player. They should be able to send players to AHL 100%, I think its becoming silly. 

Its pretty clear the team wants control of Virtanens development but he still super raw and would have benefited greatly from a year with Utica. Or at least starting the year there.

On 08/12/2015, 17:28:39, DeNiro said:

I still think the NHL needs to add a rule where every team can have one player with exceptional status that can be sent to the AHL one year early.

it would be ideal, but it's complicated. 

what if there's a dominant chl team whose top forward line and top defense pair are comprised of the "junior prospect ahl exemptions" of five different nhl teams? should that chl team have to allow its team to be decimated? should there be a similar limit for number of players per chl team allowed to be in the ahl? if so, how is it decided which nhl team(s) get priority for placing their prospect in the ahl?

there's no easy answer. the best option is probably changing draft eligibility age from 18 to 19, although that doesn't necessarily solve all the problems either. 

15 hours ago, tas said:

it would be ideal, but it's complicated. 

what if there's a dominant chl team whose top forward line and top defense pair are comprised of the "junior prospect ahl exemptions" of five different nhl teams? should that chl team have to allow its team to be decimated? should there be a similar limit for number of players per chl team allowed to be in the ahl? if so, how is it decided which nhl team(s) get priority for placing their prospect in the ahl?

there's no easy answer. the best option is probably changing draft eligibility age from 18 to 19, although that doesn't necessarily solve all the problems either. 

I think a financial reimbursement to the CHL club from the NHL team (essentially the NHL team would 'buy' the rights to the player) plus the CHL club would received some sort of compensatory pick in the bantam draft, would help smooth over the loss of one or two top players. 

On 12/9/2015 at 4:28 PM, DeNiro said:

True!

I would love to see Virtanen create some chemistry with Shinkaruk. Those guys seem like they could work really together and will both be making a huge push for the team next year.

Shinkaruks Style seems to be shifty and sneaky, with Jake out there all players on the ice would have to be watching their backs to not get crushed and could create room for Shink.

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

I would love to see Virtanen create some chemistry with Shinkaruk. Those guys seem like they could work really together and will both be making a huge push for the team next year.

Shinkaruks Style seems to be shifty and sneaky, with Jake out there all players on the ice would have to be watching their backs to not get crushed and could create room for Shink.

Shink, McCann, Virtanen :wub:

5 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Question:  Why can't Virtanen be assigned to the AHL while Sonny Milano can?  I don't see some strange euro exemption rule coming into effect in that case.  He's American.

Milano wasn't in the CHL when he was drafter