The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

24 points in 29 games is not that bad but since he was a top 5 draft pick its unacceptable. It will be like this for Virtanen too, being a 6th OA pick and not dominating Jrs (if he does get sent back).

The thing with these high draft pick guys are that you expect them to get better every year and with Michael Dal Colle he has regressed. Last year he produced at a 1.66 PPG rate compared to this year at a 0.92 PPG in a junior league. I think expectations are higher on Dal Colle than Virtanen because Dal Colle has been so successful at putting up big points. Virtanen its a lot simpler of a goal to show developmental progress.

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I have been very much a supporter of the pick to get JV over Nylander, and I have picked on Nylander openly here.  I am not so proud to say I thought William Nylander looked really good this game.  He often drove the play, when he was on the ice.  I was impressed with his play off the puck too.  He played a much harder game than he used to.  I'm certainly glad we have JV, but I wouldn't mind having Nylander too.  Plus, with his pretty face the Canuck's calendar would sell like hot cakes to the 12 year old girls.:shock: 

They are both good young players. I don't see why either has to be bashed? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Jake Virtannen 2 goals  (Thrusting my hips forward non stop)

Pricness Nylander nothing

2 goals in an exhibition game.

Your "Pricness" Nylander is only leading the AHL in points. That's pretty damn unheard of from a 19 year old. Say what you want about the 6th pick and what should have been done, but you have to give credit to Nylander.

Don't forget all the hate and "sister" talk the Sedins got when they broke into the league.

Bit ironic isn't it, calling a skilled Swedish player a girl? Show some class you disrespectful pigs, because you're ragging on a player very similar to the greatest two Canucks to ever play the game.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

They are both good young players. I don't see why either has to be bashed? 

Yup.  I am seeing that.  Young WN is a good young player.  On the Canuck's board, some fans will protect their prospects when others post here that WN is better than JV.  I'm sure the opposite would happen on the Toronto board, if Nick Ritchie was sId to be a better player than WN.  You are right though, neither player should be bashed.

28 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I'm not someone who's on here much as there's more to life than CDC.

Not gonna be a party pooper, Jake played well today. 

However, just as you guys tell me to not jump the gun, I'll remind you to do the same as it's only a prelim. 

52 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Jake sure looked like his IQ was fine on that first goal. Most of the haters need to learn patience.

Great to see Jake doing well at the WJC. And Bob McKenzie was very positive about him.

I assume the comment of hockey IQ on the first goal is a joke. That was not IQ.

Jack the strength and quickness to steal the puck, the quick acceleration to get in the clear, and a scored on a great shot to the high glove corner.

Speed, strength, great shot. That is Jake's game. I don't think he will ever be a highly creative offensive player, but he has a good chance of being a very good power forward.

On the Virtanen vs. Nylander vs. Ehlers debate I am still undecided but after today I am feeling better about Jake and now probably have in first place among the three on the redraft.

But the guy who is really doing well from that draft class (aside from Ekblad at #1 overall) is Dylan Larkin (# 15 overall).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

Great to see Jake doing well at the WJC. And Bob McKenzie was very positive about him.

Jack the strength and quickness to steal the puck, the quick acceleration to get in the clear, and a scored on a great shot to the high glove corner.

Speed, strength, great shot. That is Jake's game. I don't think he will ever be a highly creative offensive player, but he has a good chance of being a very good power forward.

On the Virtanen vs. Nylander vs. Ehlers debate I am still undecided but after today I am feeling better about Jake and now probably have in first place among the three on the redraft.

But the guy who is really doing well from that draft class (aside from Ekblad at #1 overall) is Dylan Larkin (# 15 overall).

Yes Larkin is having a great year but you have to consider the opportunity as well. 

Larkin got to play right off the hop with Zetterberg and Nyquist/Tatar. Virtanen if I'm not mistaken had Dorsett and Prust for his first few games. 

Larkin is the better all around hockey player, thats not really up for debate, but Jakes' stats would look a lot different on a team like Detroit. 

9 minutes ago, JamesB said:

How about our own Jared McCann?  He's doing pretty darned well too, and while playing (mostly) with grunts.  

25 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Your "Pricness" Nylander is only leading the AHL in points. That's pretty damn unheard of from a 19 year old. Say what you want about the 6th pick and what should have been done, but you have to give credit to Nylander.

Don't forget all the hate and "sister" talk the Sedins got when they broke into the league.

Bit ironic isn't it, calling a skilled Swedish player a girl? Show some class you disrespectful pigs, because you're ragging on a player very similar to the greatest two Canucks to ever play the game.

Nylander is a good player. Dont compare him Henrik or Daniel make a point, he is light-years from the the players they are. Your strawman attempt to generalize these players into the same category is nothing but an excuse to lash out, it's very transparent - you are taking this way too personally. 

• Upvote 3

Lol, Look at the AHL top scorers from the past 15 years, the only notable player on there is Spezza.

38 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Center

33 minutes ago, DanHamhoose said:

TRIGGERED

Just saying, if you're hating on Nylander for being "soft" I think it's bloody ironic because the Canucks best two players in franchise history were "soft Swedes" when they broke into the league. 

It's almost as if you hate Nylander, you hate Henrik Sedin. I don't see much of a difference between the two when they were drafted. Pretty un-Canuck like and stupidly ironic. All Henrik and Daniel did were fight off those sterotypes quietly and slowly gain respect over two decades. Now watch Nylander do the same.

7 minutes ago, logic said:

Lol, Look at the AHL top scorers from the past 15 years, the only notable player on there is Spezza.

Center

How many of them were 19 years old? If you want to do a "logical" comparison, you should probably compare his production with those who produced the numbers he has at the same age as him.

43 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

um, the sedins are nothing like nylander, other than they're swedish and skilled.

you are so &^@#ing far off the mark it's not even possible to correct your thinking to in anyway reflect reality.

Nylander has long hair and looks like a pretty girl and has been touted as royalty in Toronto, thats all there is to it. He hasn't earned any respect in the NHL, Is in no way comparable to the Sedins in any way. The only irony here is your display pic is what people would rather have done to themselves than have read your post - every time you post.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The fact that he's going head to head against 17 year old defencemen is everything. Similar age but experience-wise Jake is far ahead of everyone else, that's why expectations are highest of him.

17 year old defencemen?

All but 2 of Swedens 7 defencemen were drafted in 2014 while the other 2 were drafted last year...making them by default 18, 19, 20 years old.  

Gabriel Carlsson drafted 2015 by Columbus:  Born Jan 2nd 1997

Jacob Larsson drafted Anaheim 105.  Born April 29 1997

So...who again are these 17 year old defencemen he is going head to head with in this tournament and this game against Sweden?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Oh I will

And that's a FACT  :bigblush:

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

17 year old defencemen?

All but 2 of Swedens 7 defencemen were drafted in 2014 while the other 2 were drafted last year...making them by default 18, 19, 20 years old.  

Gabriel Carlsson drafted 2015 by Columbus:  Born Jan 2nd 1997

Jacob Larsson drafted Anaheim 105.  Born April 29 1997

So...who again are these 17 year old defencemen he is going head to head with in this tournament and this game against Sweden?

omg he just says $&!#, then hides behind dumbass straw man arguments like that nylander=the sedins therefore calling him princess = disrespectful pigs