The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

14 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Just saying, if you're hating on Nylander for being "soft" I think it's bloody ironic because the Canucks best two players in franchise history were "soft Swedes" when they broke into the league. 

It's almost as if you hate Nylander, you hate Henrik Sedin. I don't see much of a difference between the two when they were drafted. Pretty un-Canuck like and stupidly ironic. All Henrik and Daniel did were fight off those sterotypes quietly and slowly gain respect over two decades. Now watch Nylander do the same.

The Sedins were never soft.  if you ever watched hockey on a regular basis you'd know that.

They never missed shifts or games unless seriously injured, never retaliated and never in their first 4-6 years in the league got any quality power play time or better than 3rd and 4th line line mates.  Klatt, Carter, Burrows, Cowan...

Nobody ever called them soft except the uneducated fans fo teams, not the sport.  Yet you sit here trying to compare NYlander to them why?  Because they're swedish?  When Nylander contributes at a solid level working 3rd and 4th line minutes for his first 4 to 5 years in the league with plugs before being moved up to the 2nd line in the shadow of the WCE or comparable line and then still manage to post 75+ point seasons doing it.

Then maybe we can compare them.

To date, to be honest I haven't really looked at you.  But it seems you're quite content to make up whatever statistical fact you want on the spot to justify your arguments which are literally never closer to the truth than Bo Jackson was to having a solid career as an NHL net minder.

Please, use google.  It takes less than 20 seconds to find specific information regarding age, position contract length and cap hit as well as point totals.

Otherwise we're just going to continue to make you look foolish by simply posting facts.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Edlerberry said:

um, the sedins are nothing like nylander, other than they're swedish and skilled.

you are so &^@#ing far off the mark it's not even possible to correct your thinking to in anyway reflect reality.

Nylander has long hair and looks like a pretty girl and has been touted as royalty in Toronto, thats all there is to it. He hasn't earned any respect in the NHL, Is in no way comparable to the Sedins in any way. The only irony here is your display pic is what people would rather have done to themselves than have read your post - every time you post.

Are you kidding? Do you not remember the league-wide hate the Sedins got for being "soft European players"? Burke defended them with his life, he got tough goons to protect them, and they were still head-hunted every single game. All because they were European and didn't play a physical game.

You're the one who's off the mark, if anything Nylander already has far more respect that the twins did when they were drafted because he was taken a little bit later. Yet still, he gets plenty of that stereotypical hate on CDC which is just so down-right ignorant.

Don't know how many more years it's going to take before that stupid racist stereotype wears off. Pat Kane doesn't get the "soft skilled" stereotype because he's American, either does Johnny Gaudreau, yet they're two of the smallest players in the league. But when Nylander gets drafted top-10 CDC explodes, calling him a nancy. The Sedins went through this exact treatment and now they're two of the best players to ever play in the NHL. Mark my words, Nylander will do the same.

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The Sedins were never soft.  if you ever watched hockey on a regular basis you'd know that.

Nobody ever called them soft except the uneducated fans fo teams, not the sport.  Yet you sit here trying to compare NYlander to them why?  Because they're swedish?  When Nylander contributes at a solid level working 3rd and 4th line minutes for his first 4 to 5 years in the league with plugs before being moved up to the 2nd line in the shadow of the WCE or comparable line and then still manage to post 75+ point seasons doing it.

I'm talking about when the Sedins were drafted, their first few years, and even as late as the 2007 season. You can't deny they were being targetted and publically called out as "soft sisters" by just about the entire NHL early on.

It took years before the twins developed any sort of respect around the league.

And you're talking about facts, are you kidding me? Get your head straight, it's an observation, there are no numbers or facts to that claim. It was pretty well obvious how the Sedins were treated when they were drafted and it's almost IDENTICAL to how CDC treats Nylander. Irony defined. Don't believe me? Ok lets dig up some "facts" for you.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/canucks/story.html?id=ffaa4444-ea4c-4022-9107-f5497f368451&k=91626

A 2007 article, Brendan Morrison himself says they were called "Sedin sisters" when they were drafted. Pretty damn similar to how Nylander is labelled a girl on CDC.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/12/13/dave-bolland-calls-sedins-sisters-again-here-is-why-you-shouldnt-care/

Lets not forget Bolland's "bunk bed" sleeping comments about the Sedins, this being during the twins prime even.

It's not hard to remember how they were treated in their first few seasons. The twins were scoring around 30-40 points in their first few years and were ripped on league-wide for being soft European players. Nylander is getting exactly the same treatment when in actual fact, he's single-handedly dominating the North American hockey in the AHL.

A rediculous stereotype that has to stop. It's a shame the Sedins had to go through years of it before they could generate some respect, but history is repeating itself and the ignorant CDC fans are doing exactly that to Nylander. Personally I think it's a bit of jealousy of Nylander's skill, a bit of ignorance having not watched Nylander play and I hope it's not blatant racism. But I suppose when Nylander is tearing it up in the NHL he'll garner his own respect and shrug off these rediculous accusations. It's just a damn shame that he has to do that in order to get rid of these out-dated and irrelevant stereotypes.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Are you kidding? Do you not remember the league-wide hate the Sedins got for being "soft European players"? Burke defended them with his life, he got tough goons to protect them, and they were still head-hunted every single game. All because they were European and didn't play a physical game.

You're the one who's off the mark, if anything Nylander already has far more respect that the twins did when they were drafted because he was taken a little bit later. Yet still, he gets plenty of that stereotypical hate on CDC which is just so down-right ignorant.

Don't know how many more years it's going to take before that stupid racist stereotype wears off. Pat Kane doesn't get the "soft skilled" stereotype because he's American, either does Johnny Gaudreau, yet they're two of the smallest players in the league. But when Nylander gets drafted top-10 CDC explodes, calling him a nancy. The Sedins went through this exact treatment and now they're two of the best players to ever play in the NHL. Mark my words, Nylander will do the same.

They most certainly do get that label

• Upvote 1

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Missed the game but i'm glad Virtanen did good.  

Am I considered a hater if I want Virtanen to succeed but I just don't think he is going to become a great player and I think he is nowhere near NHL ready right now?  Is that not just personal opinion?  Does that really translate into me being a "hater"?

Nylander can dominate the AHL for two seasons but he is slammed because he hasn't show anything in the NHL yet but Jake can go play one good Junior game and people fall in love.  Funny how that works.  

I think you just sound like some sort of hip-hop reject when you use the word "hater".  That's just me though

Careful my men, he might make a thread dedicated to you

So...anyways...Jake had a great game

Must have had about 6 or 7 shots. 2 goals. Noticeable every shift. Always seemed to be in position. Looked good in his own end. Looked very confident and intimidating. Canadian Player of the game. Hope he builds off this progress. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Careful my men, he might make a thread dedicated to you

I enjoy some of the post the 5th line makes. Gooseberries on the other hand doesn't know what he is talking about half the time, then when i ask him why he gets all defensive and pissed off

Edited by Gstank29
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I think you just sound like some sort of hip-hop reject when you use the word "hater".  That's just me though

Sort of like this guy below?

On 21/12/2015 at 8:23 PM, The 5th Line said:

This goes for Gstank to and all you other prospect thread haters.  

Edited by Canorth
  • Upvote 4

you know back when i was grade 1 we'd used to argue over useless **** everyday

can you guys find something similar in this thread? 

NYLANDER

GSTANK AND GOOSEBERRIES HIGH SCHOOL SAGA

MANY MORE!

Edited by Odd.

26 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Missed the game but i'm glad Virtanen did good.  

Am I considered a hater if I want Virtanen to succeed but I just don't think he is going to become a great player and I think he is nowhere near NHL ready right now?  Is that not just personal opinion?  Does that really translate into me being a "hater"?

Nylander can dominate the AHL for two seasons but he is slammed because he hasn't show anything in the NHL yet but Jake can go play one good Junior game and people fall in love.  Funny how that works.  

I think you just sound like some sort of hip-hop reject when you use the word "hater".  That's just me though

No, its because when Virts plays well, haters don't say $#!%, then the next shift he makes a mistake, haters are quick to point it out. I don't care if you bash him as long as you give him credit when he has a good game. Today for example, I've seen comments like "oh he hasn't shown any progress" this and that then he had his best game today and all of a sudden "oh, it's only an exhibition game". Yes it's an exhibition game but who's the opponent? Sweden is going to be a great team this years World Junior and the fact that Virtanen scored two goals and was noticeable in a good way (couple of bad shifts) all game deserves some credit.

Edited by CANUCK-EXPRESS

27 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm talking about when the Sedins were drafted, their first few years, and even as late as the 2007 season. You can't deny they were being targetted and publically called out as "soft sisters" by just about the entire NHL early on.

It took years before the twins developed any sort of respect around the league.

And you're talking about facts, are you kidding me? Get your head straight, it's an observation, there are no numbers or facts to that claim. It was pretty well obvious how the Sedins were treated when they were drafted and it's almost IDENTICAL to how CDC treats Nylander. Irony defined. Don't believe me? Ok lets dig up some "facts" for you.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/canucks/story.html?id=ffaa4444-ea4c-4022-9107-f5497f368451&k=91626

A 2007 article, Brendan Morrison himself says they were called "Sedin sisters" when they were drafted. Pretty damn similar to how Nylander is labelled a girl on CDC.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/12/13/dave-bolland-calls-sedins-sisters-again-here-is-why-you-shouldnt-care/

Lets not forget Bolland's "bunk bed" sleeping comments about the Sedins, this being during the twins prime even.

It's not hard to remember how they were treated in their first few seasons. The twins were scoring around 30-40 points in their first few years and were ripped on league-wide for being soft European players. Nylander is getting exactly the same treatment when in actual fact, he's single-handedly dominating the North American hockey in the AHL.

A rediculous stereotype that has to stop. It's a shame the Sedins had to go through years of it before they could generate some respect, but history is repeating itself and the ignorant CDC fans are doing exactly that to Nylander. Personally I think it's a bit of jealousy of Nylander's skill, a bit of ignorance having not watched Nylander play and I hope it's not blatant racism. But I suppose when Nylander is tearing it up in the NHL he'll garner his own respect and shrug off these rediculous accusations. It's just a damn shame that he has to do that in order to get rid of these out-dated and irrelevant stereotypes.

I would say the whole sedin sisters thing got traction nore because they were brothers and played on the same line always. Being on the same team media,coaches,etc etc would refer to them as the sedin brothers. Sedin sisters is just a crap unintelligent joke that stuck. They have always veen acknowledged or criticised together being called sedin brothers where is ig we had only drafted henrik he would have been more individualized and the whole sedin brothers would have never bren used enough for such a nickname to be thought of.

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Sure but it's easier as a JV fanboy homer continuously using "have patience" as a cop out in this discussion.  Jake can play a game and be completely useless and people will still be in here defending him.   

He's 19 years old...

Jake should have had an assist on the wide open net Perlini missed and he would have had a hat trick had he not swapped off early for Strome who scored the tap in within seconds of the change.

Jake won player of the game but had he had a hat trick and a 4 point night, how much greater would the shame be on all the haters.

Low IQ indeed...Jake was usually the first to come off at the end of a shift, that is hockey IQ, if Barzal had followed him off sooner 2 less Swede goals would have been scored.

Jake is showing the way. 

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Sure but it's easier as a JV fanboy homer continuously using "have patience" as a cop out in this discussion.  Jake can play a game and be completely useless and people will still be in here defending him.   Im just here to say what I see, Im not a hater and i'm not a hockey expert either so don't take my comments so seriously.  If he plays good I will say he played good, if he plays bad I will say he played bad..   Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game today so I have no comments on the matter.  

I'm a die hard nucks fan so why in the hell would I want one of our top prospects to fail?  lolz

Its easy both ways really. With so many players people can say why didn't we takr him. Like someone will always have an argument unless years down the road he is the best out of the entire draft thats taken behind him which is pretty unlikelu just odds of it and all.

It's ironic because they say that we jump the gun and now all the nut riders are all aboard the bandwagon now that he's had ONE good EXHIBITION game. 

Ugh. I never wanna hear that accusation again after what I'm reading today.

Edited by guntrix

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Sure but it's easier as a JV fanboy homer continuously using "have patience" as a cop out in this discussion.  Jake can play a game and be completely useless and people will still be in here defending him.   Im just here to say what I see, Im not a hater and i'm not a hockey expert either so don't take my comments so seriously.  If he plays good I will say he played good, if he plays bad I will say he played bad..   Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game today so I have no comments on the matter.  

I'm a die hard nucks fan so why in the hell would I want one of our top prospects to fail?  lolz

Of course we need patience, why do you keep expecting a 19 year old power forward to be an effective player right away? He's no Crosby, he's no McDavid. Power forwards tend to develop longer than any other players. Going back to when we first acquired Kassian and he wasn't doing the best at age 20-21 (or whatever age he was at the time) and a lot of people were saying wait till he's 25-26 he'll be like Todd Bertuzzi. What makes you think he's gonna be an effective player right away? Cuz he's a 6th over all pick???

And as a matter of fact, I do criticize him when he doesn't do well. Look at the last game Czech, I said that he's positioning was poor even I said a long time ago that he floats around too much. I'm only here trying to defend my teams prospects. He gets enough hate and criticism against stupid Laffs fans and our own fans crticizes him more than they do and it's f***ed up.

• Upvote 2