The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Just now, Toews said:

I am not sure how you can definitely say it doesn't. If your home crowd is booing, is that white noise that players tune out as well? If so I guess we just see things completely differently.

If it comes to boos, then that's a team thing, not an individual thing.  And yes, pro sports players can handle being booed.  It serves as inspiration to improve.

At any rate, I don't see any issue with this regarding Virtanen or any other prospect we have.  The local kid factor is almost totally irrelevant.  Larkin is doing quite well despite also being a local kid.  Probably because his team is a lot deeper than ours.  All pros have pressure and deal with it appropriately.  

The Canucks have to add a lot more depth if they want to succeed.  For starters, an all-scrub 4th line does not fly in today's league.

5 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

If it comes to boos, then that's a team thing, not an individual thing.  And yes, pro sports players can handle being booed.  It serves as inspiration to improve.

At any rate, I don't see any issue with this regarding Virtanen or any other prospect we have.  The local kid factor is almost totally irrelevant.  Larkin is doing quite well despite also being a local kid.  Probably because his team is a lot deeper than ours.  All pros have pressure and deal with it appropriately.  

The Canucks have to add a lot more depth if they want to succeed.  For starters, an all-scrub 4th line does not fly in today's league.

I don't think it's fair to assume that all pro players can handle pressure. Doesn't that sound like an over generalization, since each player is unique and has different mindsets?

Isn't that why people debate the clutch factor of players? That's less about the skill of a player, and more about how they handle extreme one ice situations. And to be honest, only a few player can handle it consistently.

That being said, I think Jake will be fine. 

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

JV is playing a NHL game with junior players. He dominated the ice on many shifts. His points are almost secondary. I expect he cranks up the hitting when the games count. In the 2nd period he hit a Swede behind the Canada net knocking the kid flying. As he came up the ice another Swede went after him for some payback and Virtanen met the hit and sent the guy down. The play had gone up the ice but I suggest that most of the Swedish bench was watching Jake at work. This type of play can set a tone that dominates a game.

The Swede game was a bit of a joke as neither team played very well. Canada will struggle in this tourney if they cannot come together better.

There is no point in Virtanen going back to junior. He has to be challenged by NHL play. What he can do against juniors will not help his development. He has to be challenged by NHL caliber every game he plays. Fans should realize by now that his game will never be measured against other players PPG. Virtanen's true value will be his physical game complimented by points. Canucks are a bit of a joke in the physical game and any true CUP contender needs players who can dominate the ice physically. It improves puck possession and discourages opposition.

yup.

Just now, Canucks Prophet said:

I don't think it's fair to assume that all pro players can handle pressure. Doesn't that sound like an over generalization, since each player is unique and has different mindsets?

Isn't that why people debate the clutch factor of players? That's less about the skill of a player, and more about how they handle extreme one ice situations. And to be honest, only a few player can handle it consistently.

That being said, I think Jake will be fine. 

Of course.  The ones who cannot handle it go on to be not effective.  I think this is found out before they become pros, however.

The clutch factor is different, and it does involve skill.  Certainly Mario Lemieux's superior skills allowed him to be one of the most 'clutch' players of all time.

12 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

I have plenty of patience and willing to wait a couple years for him to develop. He's got everything going for him. However, why the heck is he in the NHL? His play has not justified the stay. The thing that really bothers me is that there are other players who should be getting looks before him. Let the guy play in junior and AHL and then bring him in. It seems like the people who want him to develop in the NHL are the one's who lack patience. He's not ready. 

Benning is really talking out of both sides of his mouth when he says they're rebuilding while staying competitive. He has to say that for the sake of the rest of the team and all of the fans that wouldn't support a full on rebuild. Meanwhile he's putting two 19 year olds in a lineup that is loaded with veterans in the hope that leadership and quality habits will rub off.

If you notice JV's play this year, it's very similar to Horvat's last year. Don't make a mistake and get off the ice as soon as you have a chance. JV was nearly invisible in his time in Utica this year and seemed to be racing to get off of the ice. That isn't the right way to play, but with the minutes the coaches are giving him that's the only way to play. Once he starts getting more ice time he will be able to open up more on the ice.

Personally I would send him back to junior after the tournament. I think that the experience of playing for 4 different teams in a season would be invaluable and give him a unique perspective. The Hitmen are doing well enough to make the playoffs and adding Jake could give them a real lift in that tournament. As long as he continues the habits that he has learned as a pro, he could continue to develop leadership qualities. 

Those other players you mentioned each were given an audition for the Canucks and all of them played well. Gaunce, Grenier Shinkaruk and even Jensen with his play lately could easily slot into the lineup. 

It has been great to see so much youth get introduced to the team this year and it will serve them well for next year when the full on rebuild begins.

It is noteworthy that Virtanen is the only returning player on Canada's WJC team that will not have a "C" or an "A". Point gets the "C" and Crouse and Hicketts get the "A's".

I wonder what the reasoning was. As Virtanen is expected to play on a line with Point, maybe the idea was that it is better to have guys who will be on the ice at other times wear the "A". Or maybe the fact that Jake joined the team late is relevant.

But I wonder how Jake is taking it. On talent and on performance on the WJC team so far he actually appears to be the best player of the returning group.

Edited by JamesB

I'm thinking he didn't get a letter since he wasn't there at the start of camp. They made a point of saying "tremendous example for the rest of our team since the start of camp." 

So maybe they wanted to give letters to the guys who have been there from the start of training camp.

2 hours ago, Nas19 said:

I'm thinking he didn't get a letter since he wasn't there at the start of camp. They made a point of saying "tremendous example for the rest of our team since the start of camp." 

So maybe they wanted to give letters to the guys who have been there from the start of training camp.

That seems more logical then my previous mention.  Just was strange how they didn't make a "jake's been great too but these guys ahve been here since the begninning".  Not that he has too do that its his team to coach just surprising.  Hope he excels and dominates games.  Would be a good way to show his leadership skillz.

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

It is noteworthy that Virtanen is the only returning player on Canada's WJC team that will not have a "C" or an "A". Point gets the "C" and Crouse and Hicketts get the "A's".

I wonder what the reasoning was. As Virtanen is expected to play on a line with Point, maybe the idea was that it is better to have guys who will be on the ice at other times wear the "A". Or maybe the fact that Jake joined the team late is relevant.

But I wonder how Jake is taking it. On talent and on performance on the WJC team so far he actually appears to be the best player of the returning group.

I keep looking for a great play from Crouse. Early ye but he seems slow. I thought he and JV would work well together. Crouse seems to be steady 3r line.

Someone suggested Virtanen plays like Owen Nolan which is a huge compliment. Interesting comparison. Both have wicked wristers.  

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I keep looking for a great play from Crouse. Early ye but he seems slow. I thought he and JV would work well together. Crouse seems to be steady 3r line.

Someone suggested Virtanen plays like Owen Nolan which is a huge compliment. Interesting comparison. Both have wicked wristers.  

Yes, the have similar games but Nolan was an excellent fighter, and Jake is a much better skater.  i see a lot of Can Neely in JV too

• Upvote 1

I have been saying this for years: (from a recent John Garrett article)

"The scouts I have talked to say most first rounders that are returned to their junior teams put it on cruise control. The gap between the good players and everyone else is so wide that the good players can turn it on when they want to and put up points, but they have nothing to prove.

Sam Reinhart was drafted second overall by the Buffalo Sabres and sent back to his junior team after nine games. In his draft year Reinhart had 105 points. When he got sent back he had 65. What did he have to prove? His learning curve would have been much better served had he stayed in Buffalo and played against men the entire year. Sean Monahan in Calgary is the perfect example of a draft choice who was ready to go and was given the chance. He had 78 points in 58 games his last year in junior and was taken sixth overall. He was given the chance by the Flames and responded with 22 goals.

There comes a time in every team’s evolution where they have to let their next ones learn under fire. The Canucks are at that point now."

• Upvote 4

Just now, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Not surprised that Virts didn't get a letter but surprised that Crouse got it instead of him... I dont know if that made sense lol

How come 18 year old Mitch Marner is not captain?  Or at least he should have all the As on his sweater.  B)

• Upvote 1

You don't need a letter on your jersey to lead people. People don't automatically listen to you because of that, you have to earn respect and trust. Some people might think that giving him a letter would have been redundant. Instead challenging others to step up and be vocal, set the tone etc, by forcing them into a role could better serve the team. Maybe Jake was unselfish and they brought in all the returning guys and said you guys decide who gets what letters. Jake says Pointer you have my vote for C, but no matter who gets a letter on their jersey we are all playing for the same thing. The flag of our country, lets do this boys!

Might be some cheese sauce, but seriously let's not look to deeply at what a letter means to a team that's together for 2 weeks

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Derp... said:

You don't need a letter on your jersey to lead people. People don't automatically listen to you because of that, you have to earn respect and trust. Some people might think that giving him a letter would have been redundant. Instead challenging others to step up and be vocal, set the tone etc, by forcing them into a role could better serve the team. Maybe Jake was unselfish and they brought in all the returning guys and said you guys decide who gets what letters. Jake says Pointer you have my vote for C, but no matter who gets a letter on their jersey we are all playing for the same thing. The flag of our country, lets do this boys!

Might be some cheese sauce, but seriously let's not look to deeply at what a letter means to a team that's together for 2 weeks

...nothing wrong with a little cheese sauce...If they made Jake an assistant they would have a Captain and an Assitant on the ice together. 

They would also have the other "A" Hicketts on the ice with them quite a bit.

That would leave no "C" or "A" on the ice the rest of the time.

i.e. Lawson makes more sense...

...call me anytime

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego