Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


avelanch
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Derp... said:

You don't need a letter on your jersey to lead people. People don't automatically listen to you because of that, you have to earn respect and trust. Some people might think that giving him a letter would have been redundant. Instead challenging others to step up and be vocal, nah tone etc, by forcing them into a role could better serve the team. Maybe Jake was unselfish and they brought in all the returning guys and said you guys decide who gets what letters. Jake says Pointer you have my vote for C, but no matter who gets a letter on their jersey we are all playing for the same thing. The flag of our country, lets do this boys!

Might be some cheese sauce, but seriously let's not look to deeply at what a letter means to a team that's together for 2 weeks

I'd be curious too see who gets a replacement A if one of them goes down to injury.  Hope that doesn't happen but I am curious if that arises. I think if Hicketts wasn't a player for Lowry he'd be the captain.  That was the obvious choice for me but I understand the conflict of interest there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Boudrias said:

JV is playing a NHL game with junior players. He dominated the ice on many shifts. His points are almost secondary. I expect he cranks up the hitting when the games count. In the 2nd period he hit a Swede behind the Canada net knocking the kid flying. As he came up the ice another Swede went after him for some payback and Virtanen met the hit and sent the guy down. The play had gone up the ice but I suggest that most of the Swedish bench was watching Jake at work. This type of play can set a tone that dominates a game.

The Swede game was a bit of a joke as neither team played very well. Canada will struggle in this tourney if they cannot come together better.

There is no point in Virtanen going back to junior. He has to be challenged by NHL play. What he can do against juniors will not help his development. He has to be challenged by NHL caliber every game he plays. Fans should realize by now that his game will never be measured against other players PPG. Virtanen's true value will be his physical game complimented by points. Canucks are a bit of a joke in the physical game and any true CUP contender needs players who can dominate the ice physically. It improves puck possession and discourages opposition.

I agree, but Virtanen has a good shot and just hasn't been able to use it in the nhl. I bet that once he starts getting chances he'll gain confidence and become a productive player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I have been saying this for years: (from a recent John Garrett article)

"The scouts I have talked to say most first rounders that are returned to their junior teams put it on cruise control. The gap between the good players and everyone else is so wide that the good players can turn it on when they want to and put up points, but they have nothing to prove.

Sam Reinhart was drafted second overall by the Buffalo Sabres and sent back to his junior team after nine games. In his draft year Reinhart had 105 points. When he got sent back he had 65. What did he have to prove? His learning curve would have been much better served had he stayed in Buffalo and played against men the entire year. Sean Monahan in Calgary is the perfect example of a draft choice who was ready to go and was given the chance. He had 78 points in 58 games his last year in junior and was taken sixth overall. He was given the chance by the Flames and responded with 22 goals.

There comes a time in every team’s evolution where they have to let their next ones learn under fire. The Canucks are at that point now."

Reinhart came off a injury in his final WHA season. Just got up to speed in time for the playoffs. 47 games 65 points and then 7 games 9 points in the Kootenay Ice playoffs.

Sending a player back to junior has more to do with the particular player and the team he goes back to and what role he plays. Reinhart was the captain and go to guy for Kootenay. Virtanen might have been that with the Hitman but my limited knowledge of that org does not impress. The biggest issue in my mind is that Virtanen has a NHL game which he has to work on in the NHL environment. Going back to the WHL doesn't help him IMO and especially going to the Hitman. I don't care what Virtanen's PPG is this year. It is all about learning how to use his body and handle NHL size and speed. One has to be very optimistic about his development to date as he has shown dominating shifts at times at 19 in the NHL. What not to smile about? :)

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Reinhart came off a injury in his final WHA season. Just got up to speed in time for the playoffs. 47 games 65 points and then 7 games 9 points in the Kootenay Ice playoffs.

Sending a player back to junior has more to do with the particular player and the team he goes back to and what role he plays. Reinhart was the captain and go to guy for Kootenay. Virtanen might have been that with the Hitman but my limited knowledge of that org does not impress. The biggest issue in my mind is that Virtanen has a NHL game which he has to work on in the NHL environment. Going back to the WHL doesn't help him IMO and especially going to the Hitman. I don't care what Virtanen's PPG is this year. It is all about learning how to use his body and handle NHL size and speed. One has to be very optimistic about his development to date as he has shown dominating shifts at times at 19 in the NHL. What not to smile about? :)

 

Spot on Boudrias.

A lot of fans want immediate results because he was drafted so high, but many fail to realize we need to all just step back and let him grow in the best environment for his development. Logically, it's obvious that it's pro-hockey. He has an NHL frame, NHL power and strength, an NHL shot, NHL skating, etc. 

If we send him back to junior, he's not going to learn anything and he wont improve next year IMO. 

Right now, he's adjusting his game to play the junior style again and IMO, that may be enough for him to come back and make a difference (temporary step back).

I feel it's best to keep him in the NHL for the remainder of this year because he will progressively earn more minutes as he improves. Then next year we can send him to Utica to play a larger role if need be.

 

I know a lot of people are in doubt, but all I ask is be patient. We truly have an excellent player and in 2-3 years we'll be laughing. Quote me if you'd like.

Edited by Tystick
Addition of content.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

They didn't give him a letter because they hadn't planned to, no one was even sure the Canuck's would release him to play until the last minute.

Looking for criticism where there is none to give.

It really isn't that big of a deal.

Just because he's not wearing an "A", doesn't mean he's behind in his development (or whatever criticism people want to make).

Edited by Tystick
Typo
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

They didn't give him a letter because they hadn't planned to, no one was even sure the Canuck's would release him to play until the last minute.

Looking for criticism where there is none to give.

I agree that JV not getting a C or A doesn't make him any less of a player but this is a bs excuse.

He just didn't get one. Do you think that if McDavid got released late that he wouldn't get at least an A?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I agree that JV not getting a C or A doesn't make him any less of a player but this is a bs excuse.

He just didn't get one. Do you think that if McDavid got released late that he wouldn't get at least an A?

Pretty fallacious argument IMO. That would be like not giving Crosby a letter on the Olympic team. Guys like Toews may have reps as tremendous leaders but Crosby gets a letter and it's a no brainer. McDavid would be in a leadership role regardless of whether he got a letter or not but it would be an obvious oversight to not give him one. McDavid couldve flown over the day they announced captains (if he was allowed) and he would've gotten one.

Edited by Wild Sean Monahan
autocorrect
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Pretty fallacious argument IMO. That would be like not giving Crosby a letter on the Olympic team. Guys like Toews may have reps as tremendous leaders but Crosby gets a letter and it's a no brainer. McDavid would be in a leadership role regardless of whether he got a letter or not but it would be an obvious oversight to not give him one. McDavid couldve flown over the day they announced captains (if he was allowed) and he would've gotten one.

I know it's a stretch but the argument still stands.

He simply didn't get one. There's no use in deploying these straw man excuses, no one's arguing that it makes him a worse player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • b3. unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...