The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, Gyllenhaal said:

You guys are digging way to deep in to this captaincy thing.

Jake didn't get a letter, who cares? Not all of our prospects have to be great leaders.

Exactly. 

I think the nut riding crowd got hit the hardest for some reason. 

He simply didn't get a letter. End of. 

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

They didn't give him a letter because they hadn't planned to, no one was even sure the Canuck's would release him to play until the last minute.

Looking for criticism where there is none to give.

Dude they gotta complain about something. He scored 2 goals and dominated so they cant complain about his play right now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gyllenhaal said:

You guys are digging way to deep in to this captaincy thing.

Jake didn't get a letter, who cares? Not all of our prospects have to be great leaders.

I've met jake a few times and he's a nice polite kid from my interactions with him, but he doesn't scream leader of men to me. He's still young though and baby faced, this non letter thing is a complete non issue. 

2 hours ago, Canucks Prophet said:

No, it's the doubters that were freaking out over it. They'll cling to anything that they can use to make Jake look bad. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Funny because if you take a look at the actual posts, the opposite is true. Being technical: hard isn't it?

Get over it guys, he didn't get a letter. It's not that big a deal honestly. 

17 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Funny because if you take a look at the actual posts, the opposite is true. Being technical: hard isn't it?

Get over it guys, he didn't get a letter. It's not that big a deal honestly. 

If you actually went back to read the beginning of this discussion, you would see nobody is complaining about him not getting a letter.

Nice try though. :P

I think they will both have good tourneys. Jake unfortunately is always going to receive criticism. He needs time to grow. he isn't a generational taken like Eichel or McDavid is. those guys can step into their respective teams and contribute offensively almost immediately and make an impact on the franchises that drafted them. Virtanen unfortunately isn't in their ilk. but that doesn't mean he won't be a very good player in his own right. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be a Raffi Torres. he needs to be more than that. if he turns out to be another version if Torres. I think many people would certainly be disappointed considering he was picked so highly. I wonder if NYI fans are daaippinted with Dal Colle who was drafted 5th overall. he hasn't even made the NHL yet. And he was a pick above Virtanen. what about Fleury and Ritchie? Others who were drafted around the same spots (meaning top ten pick). overall. we need to be patient with our youth. rushing them won't do them any favours. being impatient with them won't do them or us any favour as fans. we just become more frustrated and disillusioned. 

i believe that Jake is going to be a very good player for us. if not for the stupid rules between CHL and NHL. Jake would have been down in the AHL learning to be a pro and learning his craft under Travis Green. most likely. he gets that opportunity with less pressure than a city like van to learn the game and develop the proper way. 

merry christmas! 

• Upvote 2

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 3:42 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I have been saying this for years: (from a recent John Garrett article)

"The scouts I have talked to say most first rounders that are returned to their junior teams put it on cruise control. The gap between the good players and everyone else is so wide that the good players can turn it on when they want to and put up points, but they have nothing to prove.

Sam Reinhart was drafted second overall by the Buffalo Sabres and sent back to his junior team after nine games. In his draft year Reinhart had 105 points. When he got sent back he had 65. What did he have to prove? His learning curve would have been much better served had he stayed in Buffalo and played against men the entire year. Sean Monahan in Calgary is the perfect example of a draft choice who was ready to go and was given the chance. He had 78 points in 58 games his last year in junior and was taken sixth overall. He was given the chance by the Flames and responded with 22 goals.

There comes a time in every team’s evolution where they have to let their next ones learn under fire. The Canucks are at that point now."

Reinhart came off a injury in his final WHA season. Just got up to speed in time for the playoffs. 47 games 65 points and then 7 games 9 points in the Kootenay Ice playoffs.

Sending a player back to junior has more to do with the particular player and the team he goes back to and what role he plays. Reinhart was the

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 3:42 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I have been saying this for years: (from a recent John Garrett article)

"The scouts I have talked to say most first rounders that are returned to their junior teams put it on cruise control. The gap between the good players and everyone else is so wide that the good players can turn it on when they want to and put up points, but they have nothing to prove.

Sam Reinhart was drafted second overall by the Buffalo Sabres and sent back to his junior team after nine games. In his draft year Reinhart had 105 points. When he got sent back he had 65. What did he have to prove? His learning curve would have been much better served had he stayed in Buffalo and played against men the entire year. Sean Monahan in Calgary is the perfect example of a draft choice who was ready to go and was given the chance. He had 78 points in 58 games his last year in junior and was taken sixth overall. He was given the chance by the Flames and responded with 22 goals.

There comes a time in every team’s evolution where they have to let their next ones learn under fire. The Canucks are at that point now."

Reinhart came off a injury in his final WHA season.