The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Virtanen made several shots, most had no threat to score. HIs best chance was probably the short side shot down the wing and the tip. He wasn't able to use his size all game long. Passing and utilizing his teammates needs to be better. Hopefully, just first day jitters.

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

How so?

Jake Virtanen flying down the wing... pokechecked. 

Jake Virtanen with a sharp angle shot... deflected off a stick into the netting. x3

jake Virtanen on the PP. Cuts to the middle and skates the puck out of the zone. 

I don't think he hit anyone either. 

Look back a couple pages, I was loving his game Vs Sweden, I don't blindly hate, but he did not play well. 

15 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I'd also just like to point out that the issue with the anti-JV crowd isn't that they criticize him, it's that they take every opportunity to do so while ignoring almost every opportunity to pay him a compliment or recognize the good that he does. Not a personal attack or anything but you're the prime culprit of this. The JV haters are out in throngs today but there was hardly a dam peep against Sweden the other day. @The 5th Line line was pretty much the only one to acknowledge it.

I think it seems that way (for me anyway) because I don't see many positives to his game. When he crashed the net a couple comes ago I was the first to admit it was a nice play. I didn't watch the game he had goals but they were nice. Could be all the games I've watched he had poor games.

One of those things where you don't see many people compliment Higgins.  Because he doesn't do many positive things anymore. anymore  that's just my take on it. As someonesaid not many players looked all that great for red today. Not just virtanen. 

Still like Boeser's game.

7 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Jake Virtanen with a sharp angle shot... deflected off a stick into the netting. x3

jake Virtanen on the PP. Cuts to the middle and skates the puck out of the zone. 

Look back a couple pages, I was loving his game Vs Sweden, I don't blindly hate, but he did not play well. 

Unfortunate to agree. Hope he can get flying out there and turn it around. Maybe he is putting too much pressure on himself rather than playing a smart, simple game.

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Good lord I find it so amusing how everyone is surprisingly disappointed in Jakes game today, you people need to realize that this has been going on for awhile now.  This isn't just a case of Jake having a bad game, this is a case of Jake just isn't a good player.  He's a good skater, that's it, his fore checking is solid but again that has most to due with his speed.  He's not intense, he's not tough, he can't cycle, he follows the puck in the D zone like it's timbit hockey, his hockey sense is atrocious.  I have never seen such a one dimensional player in my life.

He sure does mesmerize coaches with his speed because for whatever reason they keep trotting him out there, he's the least skilled player on the team and IMO he is the last guy who should be on the ice when we need to make a play to get a goal.  This kids life is just being gift wrapped for him.  It must be nice. 

okay buddy.

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Good lord I find it so amusing how everyone is surprisingly disappointed in Jakes game today, you people need to realize that this has been going on for awhile now.  This isn't just a case of Jake having a bad game, this is a case of Jake just isn't a good player.  He's a good skater, that's it, his fore checking is solid but again that has most to due with his speed.  He's not intense, he's not tough, he can't cycle, he follows the puck in the D zone like it's timbit hockey, his hockey sense is atrocious.  I have never seen such a one dimensional player in my life.

He sure does mesmerize coaches with his speed because for whatever reason they keep trotting him out there, he's the least skilled player on the team and IMO he is the last guy who should be on the ice when we need to make a play to get a goal.  This kids life is just being gift wrapped for him.  It must be nice. 

I'm prepared to receive the "give it time he's a power forward, the potential is there"  blah blah blah. What potential could you have possibly seen in the last 3 months including today?  

While I agree with what you said, I'm not sure if you watched the game Vs. the Swedes a couple days ago, but he played maybe the best hockey game I've seen him play including his time with Vancouver. 

Made hits, creative passes, and a couple goals to boot. He played much below expectations today, and while I'm not the biggest fan of his, saying he hasn't shown anything recently is wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I'd also just like to point out that the issue with the anti-JV crowd isn't that they criticize him, it's that they take every opportunity to do so while ignoring almost every opportunity to pay him a compliment or recognize the good that he does. Not a personal attack or anything but you're the prime culprit of this. The JV haters are out in throngs today but there was hardly a dam peep against Sweden the other day. @The 5th Line line was pretty much the only one to acknowledge it.

I don't think there are any "JV haters" on CDC. For some reason it has become common to call anyone who disagrees with you a "hater", as if that is a useful counter-argument.

In the case of JV a lot of people are critical precisely because they want him to do well. As a #6 overall pick people are expecting and hoping for a lot from Jake, especially given the guys the Canucks passed up in order to draft him.

And, unfortunately, he has not lived up to expectations so far. He did not dominate in the WHL in his draft+1 year. He did less in WHL than McCann did in the OHL in his draft+1 year or Horvat did in his draft+1 year. And this year, his draft+2 year,  he has done less than hoped for with the Canucks -- once again less than McCann or Horvat in their draft+2 years.

With the WJC team, the hope was that he would dominate at this level. So far he hasn't. In today's game he looked no better in his draft+2 year than Boeser did in his draft+1 year (and Boeser was only a #23 overall pick).

Like any player JV has good days and bad days. And like any player he makes some good plays and some bad plays. But overall anyone who is honest should be thinking that Jake needs to pick up his game to justify being picked #6 overall in 2014 and to give Canuck fans hope for a return to Stanley Cup contender status.

12 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Countless turnovers, taking low chance shots that were all tipped, lazy defensive plays, not physical.  If you don't agree you delusional.  That's all there is to it. 

If I don't agree with you I'm delusional?

First of all, the entire team played poorly. The majority of the team made plays that resulted in turnovers.

I agree his defensive play wasn't the best and he didn't show up physically tonight, but considering how scrambly the game was, he played a decent game.

However, I do expect more from him.

5 minutes ago, Tystick said:

If I don't agree with you I'm delusional?

First of all, the entire team played poorly. The majority of the team made plays that resulted in turnovers.

I agree his defensive play wasn't the best and he didn't show up physically tonight, but considering how scrambly the game was, he played a decent game.

However, I do expect more from him.

Facts are facts. If you don't agree the sky is blue, you're delusional.

Virtanen did all the things I listed in the third with very little if any positives. Go back and watch if you wish. I agree with all your points listed. 

15 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

He threw a couple hits in the first, but was very much absent physically from there on out.

He made some nice passes and a couple good opportunities to score, but there were turnovers for sure. 

Overall when you consider how scrambly the game was, he played good. Again, I do expect more though.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Hmm for some reason  I find it hard to believe that nowhere in your 21,000 posts you haven't critiqued a young player and have tried to pin point how you personally feel about his future as a pro hockey player. But if you haven't I sincerely apologize for doubting you.    

I'll critique how a player is playing right now. I'm not gonna pretend to know their future though.

I may have used to try and make predictions, but I realize it's pointless now. You'll always be wrong, there's too many variables.

6 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Facts are facts. If you don't agree the sky is blue, you're delusional.

Virtanen did all the things I listed in the third with very little if any positives. Go back and watch if you wish. I agree with all your points listed. 

Okay so he had a bad game because he did those things? Yes?

Well he also had a good couple scoring chances, made some nice plays, and threw a couple hits. 

Those things are facts too, I'm just ignoring the negatives. Can I say whoever doesn't agree with me is delusional?

Before this goes any further, my point is he played a decent game considering how scrambly the team performed. Not great and not terrible, just decent or good.

Once again, my expectations of him are higher.