The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I thought he'd be far more noticeable than what he was tonight but in all fairness Canada didn't play the best game they could have. I'm probably Virtanen's biggest critics but people need to show patience, wait a bit and see how he performs/grows/develops/improves (hopefully) over the course of the tournament. One bad game, alright, lets hope he improves over the next few games and at least chips in some offence if he's not taking control of the games.

Wait Wut? Invasion of the body snatchers. What have you done with DUC?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

this kid is not elite..no way...he looked lost to me at times...I think to much to soon...also...he isnt going to be the next one on this team...just aint gonna happen.

Are these seriously people's expectations? !:huh:

• Upvote 1

6th overall does not equal an elite player in any draft. We hit the jackpot once in 1999 and got the 2nd and 3rd. other than that it's amazing that we've been good for the last decade. We did it through development and we're going to need to do it the same way in the future.

At 6th overall in the 2014 draft was Jake Virtanen.

At the combine he was the fastest skater forwards and backwards in a draft class that included Ekblad.

He hits people and they fly and he shoots the puck hard.

We took the best athlete at that spot. His skillset is good enough to take a risk on. They don't make that kind of player very often. I've never seen people bounce off of a player in the way that happens with this kid. He's always the fastest player on the ice and he has a great wrist/slapshot.

We're willing to take this player because he is the type of winger who is rare in the NHL.

If you don't agree with that position by management then there's nothing you can do about it, but spew away.

He was 2 weeks away from being a 2015 draft pick. Young.

These aren't excuses. There are people that need to temper their expectations.

• Upvote 2

On 25 October, 2015 at 10:01 AM, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

The insane claims most of you instant-gratification junkies continue to make are so tiresome. When you start a new job, are you ready to quit 19 shifts into it because you are not the Manager yet? 

Lay off the kookoo juice people, you're embarrassing everybody. 

Edited by jstewboy
The quotes are broken.
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jstewboy said:

The insane claims most of you instant-gratification junkies continue to make are so tiresome. When you start a new job, are you ready to quit 19 shifts into it because you are not the Manager yet? 

What did he say?

On 25 October, 2015 at 10:01 AM, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

https://twitter.com/BrandonPrust8/status/663503153669640192Other then that LA game I haven't seen any top 6 material in Jake Virtanen. I think the fans who were whining about Ehlers might actually be right; well atleast for now they look like they are right. The problems with Jake, is I get he plays limited minutes, but he doesn't seem like a special player like we thought he would be. He hasn't shown his speed to me yet, he just goes in the corners and shoots the puck on net, he never makes decent passes, I noticed last night he can't crash the net, he was easily boxed out and thrown to the side of the net.I think he needs to develop his Hockey IQ more, were the hell is Virtanen's patent wrist shot, I haven't seen it once, he is suppose to have a similar release to Mccann; That's what made him stand out at the draft, but haven't seen it yet.  So far Ehlers looks like the real deal compared to Virtanen and it stings.

This is what he said, but I'm not quoting him. Every time I try and post in this thread I am blessed with this Desiboy quote.

My comment was directed at the more recent yammering about the ultimate inevitable bust that is Virtanen.

1 hour ago, jstewboy said:

1 hour ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

What did he say?

Well, to paraphrase, I think he said let's wait a while before we pass judgment on what this talented 19 year old kid will develop into. 

12 hours ago, jstewboy said:

This is what he said, but I'm not quoting him. Every time I try and post in this thread I am blessed with this Desiboy quote.

My comment was directed at the more recent yammering about the ultimate inevitable bust that is Virtanen.

sorry dude, but I stick to what I say today's game he had a 3 on 2 where he made a ugly pass, and many other plays were he wasn't using his hockey IQ. I think Button nailed it with Virtanen, has the tools to be a powerforward but does lack hockey IQ. Bottom line he is suppose to be a impact player like Domi was but today's game didn't show me much from him. Long tourney, but so far sorry I'm not impressed because he is taken pretty darn high. Again just my personal thoughts, but he needs to start playing like Domi and Duclair were eg dominating each time they were on the ice. 

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, guntrix said:

A more accurate analogy on CDC and Virtanen:

look_through_rose_colored_glasses_by_chr

Great rose-colored glasses.

I am still hopeful that JV will develop into a solid top 6 power forward. Unfortunately, while it is still early, his trajectory so far looks more like a third liner. Let's hope he picks things up at the WJC.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:
5 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Yeah and the 5th pick is lighting juniors on fire....

Yeah and the 5th pick is lighting juniors on fire....

Meanwhile Detroit's pick is making a bunch of GM's look like idiots including ours.