The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

34 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I seriously wonder if any of you "critics" for lack of a better term, are actually Canucks fans at all. How about you point out a bad game that he's had. A game where a direct turnover actually cost his team a game. 

He doesn't need to cause a direct turnover which costs the team the game for him to have a bad game and you know it. 

Let's not resort to emplacing these petty parameters for gameplay. 

20 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

He hit the crossbar from a backhander in tight and brought the puck to the crease a couple of times from either side of the net and was unlucky to not tuck one in. You can't make a judgement about his play unless you watch the games. I'm not surprised that the same group of people can't find anything positive to say about his game. The boxscore will never tell you how someone is playing.

I watched the game and he was not good. 

What's funny is that CDC's opinion on Virtanen's play varies from the more neutral forums (such as the WJC HF forum) a lot. I wonder why that is. :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Atleast Jakes' no Dal Colle... top 5 pick getting cut from TC twice... lmao. It could be worse.

That's the spirit!

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

^ He wasn't great. But he was certainly good. Was he bad? did he continuously turn the puck over? Did his play lead to odd man rushes the other way? Noooo, Because it was 'kin Denmark. 

3 quality scoring chances that I saw. Is that playing poorly? 

3 scoring chances coupled in with relative obscurity (to the point where I wondered if he was even playing anymore) against a third-rate team as a returnee. 

I get that you're trying to lower the bar for our very own but let's be real, he was probably one of the weaker Canadian forwards today. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

So Jake was a non factor today?  Wow that really surprises me  but let's just have patience because this kid oozes potential.  

If he was a non-factor he wouldn't have made the team now would he? 

But lets just have patience?

Hell **** yeah patience. He's 19 years old. 19. Not a 25-30 year old veteran. If you're expecting Virtanen to produce 5 points a night, score 70-80 point seasons in the NHL, I'm sorry, but it's not going to happen. I've already explained in my previous posts. It's frustrating every time you say stuff like "He's not physical", when every damn person thinks he is. I'd really love to know you're definition of physical. Cause if what Virtanen brings isn't physical enough to you, I would like to know what is. Perhaps being a total goon who head-hunts and fights people only? 

It's just the World Juniors. Juniors.

Edited by Odd.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Excuses excuses excuses.

There are players in the WJC who have literally come from all over the world and are making that adjustment. Pastrnak jumps straight in and scores the game winning goal off a flight from Boston.

Enough of the excuses for Virtanen, just because he's a local boy and high pick. He needs to and DESERVES to be scrutinized.

Aren't you the guy who said he'd be happy to pay $4.3 million or more for a 4th line center?

Aren't you the guy that adds a 1st plus a prospect to every single marginal player rumoured to be available?

With all due respect mon frere, I respect the opinion of the drunk hobo outside of rogers more than I do your opinion about anything hockey

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

If he was a non-factor he wouldn't have made the team now would he? 

But lets just have patience?

Hell **** yeah patience. He's 19 years old. 19. Not a 25-30 year old veteran. If you're expecting Virtanen to produce 5 points a night, score 70-80 point seasons in the NHL, I'm sorry, but it's not going to happen. I've already explained in my previous posts. It's frustrating every time you say stuff like "He's not physical", when every damn person thinks he is. I'd really love to know you're definition of physical. Cause if what Virtanen brings isn't physical enough to you, I would like to know what is. Perhaps being a total goon who head-hunts and fights people only? 

And ffs, it's the World Juniors. Juniors. 

Mind my language, but it's ridiculous.

Yes he's young, but he is a pro and open to criticism.  He does need to be more impactful to games' outcomes.  Right now, he's not. He needs to be better coached, and play with a very skilled playmaking centre.  I think he's trying to do too much, and should just go up and down his wing, and be physical.  Get the puck and move it, or shoot it quickly.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He is very physical when he actually moves his damn feet!!!  and what the hell bruh, the bolded part literally makes no sense at all...in fact, none of what you said really makes any sense.  

Im getting out of here before I get to riled up.

Cheers, boys

To avoid an argument, I'll let it go.

;)

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes he's young, but he is a pro and open to criticism.  He does need to be more impactful to games' outcomes.  Right now, he's not. He needs to be better coached, and play with a very skilled playmaking centre.  I think he's trying to do too much, and should just go up and down his wing, and be physical.  Get the puck and move it, or shoot it quickly.  

at this rate can he just get a couple of decent shots on goal and I will be fine with that.

I think when evaluating anybody's play you have to consider the role they're supposed to be playing. Watching Jake play in this tourney it looks like the coaching staff wants him to play a heavy net front game to open up space for the rest. He's not the guy that is going to be carrying the puck and distributing it. They might give it to him to gain the zone with his speed but otherwise it looks like his role is to win pucks on the forecheck, cycle, and go to the net. 

Whether or not this suits Jakes game is a different story but I think he's been doing what has been asked of him pretty well. It would be nice to start seeing him jam some home from the top of the crease but I don't think saying he is having a poor tournament is fair.

But then again what do I know? I'm just a guy on his phone.

49 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

No I was unable to watch today.  But I just read through 4 pages of unsatisfied CDC users.

I'm glad you guys are smart enough to notice my sarcasm, now only if you were smart enough to see real hockey talent when it's in front of you

But I do admire the passion and patience you both have and I truly mean that.  I'm a die hard Nucks fan myself.  Lets just hope Jake plays better in the next one. 

What do you mean sarcasm?? Lool most of your comment here is negative so we/I expect negative posts from you. It's hard for me to notice if it's sarcasm or not when there's a pattern on your comments.

You a cool dude though ::D

Edited by CANUCK-EXPRESS

Is the criticism not justified? At this point in his development, Jake should only be trending up, however fast he's trending up would be a non-issue as long as there's always progress. But, we have only seen him regress, he has no idea what to work on and is instead trying to work on everything at once, perhaps a result of the lack of "hockey IQ" others have pointed out, or perhaps just plain inexperience with struggling at any level of hockey, since he has likely always dominated. I think for the future, when he can, he should be sent to Utica where Green and Co. can build separate aspects of his game, for him, because tackling this on his own using Willie's tough love approach is not working. I honestly see no indication that he will put the pieces together by himself, and is probably going to need his hand held all the way to the NHL level.

First and foremost I'd like to see him sent back to Junior before things become so critical that his confidence in his game is completely destroyed. Get him out from under the microscope in Vancouver and let him slowly put his game together at his own pace, this season in Junior and next season in Utica. And from then on try and introduce him back to the NHL, SLOWLY.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, SvenBae said:

Is the criticism not justified? At this point in his development, Jake should only be trending up, however fast he's trending up would be a non-issue as long as there's always progress. But, we have only seen him regress, he has no idea what to work on and is instead trying to work on everything at once, perhaps a result of the lack of "hockey IQ" others have pointed out, or perhaps just plain inexperience with struggling at any level of hockey, since he has likely always dominated. I think for the future, when he can, he should be sent to Utica where Green and Co. can build separate aspects of his game, for him, because tackling this on his own using Willie's tough love approach is not working. I honestly see no indication that he will put the pieces together by himself, and is probably going to need his hand held all the way to the NHL level.

First and foremost I'd like to see him sent back to Junior before things become so critical that his confidence in his game is completely destroyed. Get him out from under the microscope in Vancouver and let him slowly put his game together at his own pace, this season in Junior and next season in Utica. And from then on try and introduce him back to the NHL, SLOWLY.

Excellent post. Benning seems hell bent on rushing Jake's development in the hopes he can be an impact player before the Sedins retire. As you pointed out Jake needs to work on so many different aspects of his game that he needs time and opportunity to work on this. The NHL is the wrong place for Jake at this point of his development.