The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Excellent post. Benning seems hell bent on rushing Jake's development in the hopes he can be an impact player before the Sedins retire. As you pointed out Jake needs to work on so many different aspects of his game that he needs time and opportunity to work on this. The NHL is the wrong place for Jake at this point of his development. 

I don't think that's the case so much as JB felt he'd be better served with the big club than he would in junior, which I can understand. It's been said a thousand times but ideally he'd be in the A if it were possible, and I think that's likely where he plays next year unless he takes some big steps forward by next fall. Hes a serviceable bottom six guy right now but some cooking time in Utica with Travis Green would probably do wonders for his game, as it has for guys like Shink, Gaunce, and Grenier.

• Upvote 3

I still believe Jake can eventually be an impact player, but there's things in his game that have stood out in these two world junior games that I don't like, primarily that he plays way too much of a perimeter game and he seems to be out of position a lot. I especially noticed this on the power play where instead of going to the front of the net to create havoc, he'd be standing over to one side closer to the corner hoping to get a pass, or where he'd skate around after a shot and somehow end up at the blue line leaving nobody in front of the net.

Maybe it's the Mario Lemieux effect where Mario could get around the ice fairly quickly but never really seemed to be skating too hard, but other than when he's going in a straight line down the wing, Jake doesn't appear to be working as hard to retrieve the puck as some of his teammates are. 

Again, I'm not necessarily down on him as he is only 19 but these elements of his game concern me.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

Someone pointed out a few pages back that a number 6 pick should garner an elite player so....

2005 Gilbert Brule

2006 Derek Brassard

2007 Sam Gagner

2008 Nikita Filatov 

2009 Oliver Ekman-Larsson

2010 Brett Connolly

2011 Mika Zibinejad

The fact is #6 isn't a gimme and there's a pretty good chance there are going to be better players drafted within the next 10-20 picks.  It happens most years.  People freaking out because Virtanen isn't progressing as quickly as they would like should settle down a little bit.  

Being picked sixth is a tough spot to be in. These kids were all rushed into the lineup as underagers despite the fact that most of them weren't really elite talents. Players drafted sixth are going to unsuccessful  organizations with poor development systems in most cases. Ekman-Larsson excepted, we'll probably never know how good these players might have been had the teams that drafted them had some patience instead of throwing them straight into the deep end of the pool. Sadly, Benning seems hell bent on following this mostly unsuccessful model himself with Jake Virtanen despite Virtanen showing no real signs that he was ready for prime time this year.

• Upvote 2

I think Virtanen was close enough to being ready that Benning didn't like the idea of keeping his 24th overall and sending his 6th overall back down to junior. Virtanen really needs to play a ton of minutes and the only way I see him getting those is in junior hockey. He's in a prime development stage and really needs to work on his offensive abilities and confidence. Sitting every other day and playing 8-11 minutes a game for the Canucks probably isn't helping his development. 

Edited by flickyoursedin
  • Upvote 2

On 2015-12-27 at 3:31 PM, guntrix said:

So many holes in this argument, an East Hastings hooker would be proud.

1. Continually citing "that one Virtanen goal vs Sweden" simply proves that there's not much supporting evidence of your Virtanen has good IQ argument. 

2. "Jake is in the NHL" is not sufficient enough reason to say that he's better than some of his counterparts.

3. Reinhart's and MDC's shortcomings do not justify JV's. For all we know, Reinhart may not turn out as good as initially touted and MDC may be putting his play on cruise control until he's eligible for the AHL (as discussed regarding numerous top 5 picks).

4. "Nylander is in the AHL" is definitely not a good argument as he's actually doing comparatively better than Virtanen despite being in a lesser league. 34 points in 27 games as a 19 y/o AHLer > averaging scrap minutes and 4 points in the NHL. Some on here may deny this premise but I'm sure most neutrals would agree.

"Go read my post on him perhaps you'll learn a bit about the game and evaluating players."

There's nothing worse than this kind of condescending tone whilst being off the mark. It makes you look bad. 

Can't wait to see you hide from this comment in 4 years buddy....I'll save it for you! And I guess I'll remind you then how right I am. Unfortunately for you, you can't seem to accept you're wrong.

Edited by McCannon

35 minutes ago, McCannon said:

Can't wait to see you hide from this comment in 4 years buddy....I'll save it for you! And I guess I'll remind you then how right I am. Unfortunately for you, you can't seem to accept you're wrong.

Dude... there were so many flaws in your post it was actually hilarious. And I'm not the only poster who pointed it out. 

I get defending Virtanen but saying that he's a better prospect just because he's in the NHL is lol worthy, especially when the player you're comparing him to is over PPG in the AHL. The other JV supporters must loathe your posts, they basically have to clean up your mess. 

Edited by guntrix

10 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Dude... there were so many flaws in your post it was actually hilarious. And I'm not the only poster who pointed it out. 

I get defending Virtanen but saying that he's a better prospect just because he's in the NHL is lol worthy, especially when the player you're comparing him to is over PPG in the AHL. The other JV supporters must loathe your posts, they basically have to clean up your mess. 

"dude" like "dude" lets like talk in 4 years k dude? k dude?

dude is dude (is that how it works?)

Your nonsense is nonsense (is that how it works 'dude'? right 'dude'? k dude whatever you say brah, dude)

Buddy, you have no clue how to evaluate NHL talent - sorry but you don't call an 18 yr old stepping into the NHL a bust. A person with any hockey knowledge gets that. That is a fact. The POINT is you don't and CAN'T evaluate where an 18 yr old's career in the NHL will end up from his first year. If it were that easy well, I guess we'd see alot of 18 yr olds never play another game in the NHL wouldn't we?

I can tell by many of the comments most of you are too young to even have seen the Twins as rookies...guess what - they were 'busts' too according to many

Hmm....kinda funny how evaluating an 18 yr old in their first season is nonsensical at best.

Edited by McCannon

28 minutes ago, McCannon said:

Your nonsense is nonsense (is that how it works 'dude'? right 'dude'? k dude whatever you say brah, dude)

Buddy, you have no clue how to evaluate NHL talent - sorry but you don't call an 18 yr old stepping into the NHL a bust. A person with any hockey knowledge gets that. That is a fact. The POINT is you don't and CAN'T evaluate where an 18 yr old's career in the NHL will end up from his first year. If it were that easy well, I guess we'd see alot of 18 yr olds never play another game in the NHL wouldn't we?

I can tell by many of the comments most of you are too young to even have seen the Twins as rookies...guess what - they were 'busts' too according to many

Hmm....kinda funny how evaluating an 18 yr old in their first season is nonsensical at best.

You can't label them as Busts, you can't proclaim them as stars, in their first year in their league, im glad we are in agreement.

What we can do is look at what has been shown in the present and judge that Solely based on Today.

Going by that, Jake would probably be given a C on his season so far as a Pro, both on the AHL and NHL, and a C- so far at the WJC's.

That doesn't mean he won't be a hell of s player, that doesn't even mean he won't improve and start to dominate in a week. But from what we have seen so far..

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, McCannon said:

Please bring up a post were I explicitly labeled him a "bust." Go on...

I'll make your life easier and just tell you straight up that I haven't. 

Yes, I think he's underwhelming. Yes, I at times wish that we had picked other players. Yes, I've seen the Sedins play when they were younger. Yes, I don't think he was the ideal pick at #6.

Never called him a bust though. You're not only a horrible debater but you also seem to have difficulty keeping track of things and have a knack for posting misguided crap whilst on a high horse.

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I think Anton Rodin also taught us that too, not to mention Jordan Schroeder.

Leading scorer in SHL while captaining his team. GP: 27 G: 16 A: 18 PTS: 34 +/-: 27

Canucks have shown interest in bringing him back as well. He isn't done and has been the outstanding player of this season so far, pundits can't say enough about him.

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

I still believe Jake can eventually be an impact player, but there's things in his game that have stood out in these two world junior games that I don't like, primarily that he plays way too much of a perimeter game and he seems to be out of position a lot. I especially noticed this on the power play where instead of going to the front of the net to create havoc, he'd be standing over to one side closer to the corner hoping to get a pass, or where he'd skate around after a shot and somehow end up at the blue line leaving nobody in front of the net.

Maybe it's the Mario Lemieux effect where Mario could get around the ice fairly quickly but never really seemed to be skating too hard, but other than when he's going in a straight line down the wing, Jake doesn't appear to be working as hard to retrieve the puck as some of his teammates are. 

Again, I'm not necessarily down on him as he is only 19 but these elements of his game concern me.

I agree, because I too am underwhelmed.  And it's not because I am comparing him to a guy like Barzel, because he plays a different type of game, and it's not because he was a #6 overall pick.  People get stuck on the fact that he was a #6 and should simply focus on 'what type of game is he playing' period.  I do that I see all the things you mention, plus a few others including some terrible passing and stick handling.  So many times he has the puck in a good position and loses it.  

I also believe he will be an impact player for us and a valuable playoff contributor but he has a long way to go.  If you took away his big body he is nowhere near NHL ready.  He needs some strong coaching and mentoring.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, McCannon said:

He's 19...