The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

13 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Not hindsight my friend, not everyone wanted to keep the kids up as teenagers. I personally don't think there's a place for kids in a mens' league. Consistency.

I actually agree. I said not everyone. If you look at some of my earlier posts I liked McCann's compete but said he was not equipped well enough physically yet. I also thought Virtanen might have a chance because of his physique but it became obvious to me at any rate that while he had a man's body he was still lacking hockey IQ. I think injury and not wanting to send players back to their minor league teams forced some of these moves

I have said all over these boards that I favour the Detroit model. Unfortunately JB seems to feel he needs to hurry this rebuild along and only time will tell what effect it will have on these youngsters.

41 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I actually agree. I said not everyone. If you look at some of my earlier posts I liked McCann's compete but said he was not equipped well enough physically yet. I also thought Virtanen might have a chance because of his physique but it became obvious to me at any rate that while he had a man's body he was still lacking hockey IQ. I think injury and not wanting to send players back to their minor league teams forced some of these moves

I have said all over these boards that I favour the Detroit model. Unfortunately JB seems to feel he needs to hurry this rebuild along and only time will tell what effect it will have on these youngsters.

Benning was faced with a choice of sending these two back to junior or keeping them. We have no idea of the mental approach these two kids have a how well Benning judged them. It appears he thought they had more to gain by staying in Vancouver. IMHO both Benning and Desjardin have the best interest in their development at heart. I don't disagree with the Detroit model and it is working for prospects now in Utica. If in fact Vancouver does not make playoffs (my take since October) I suspect both McCann and Virtanen go to Utica for a Calder run. It would be a great wind up to their season.

This board is often laughable when it comes to young prospects. Opinions vary according to their last games. When Virtanen scored 2 goals the other day he was a savior and a no point game against Denmark = a bust or a 'project'. IMHO Virtanen is playing a very steady WJC. Complaints about his passing surprise as I see him creating chances for teammates. Canada dominated the Danes and the sloppy play simply increased with the led. I did not see Virtanen running around. My only concern about JV is his lack of physical play other than crashing the net in the prelim games. Who knows if there is a lingering injury.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, McCannon said:

Can't wait to see you hide from this comment in 4 years buddy....I'll save it for you! And I guess I'll remind you then how right I am. Unfortunately for you, you can't seem to accept you're wrong.

23 posts and he's making promises 4 years in the future with a complete stranger - now that's championship level team passion if i've ever seen it. why can't jake play like that

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

agreed.  lots of blown development of excellent young prospects through-out the league , for many reasons.     This latest move by canucks, looks to be half PR half Benning's ego, as Virtanen was basically gifted a spot before pre season even started.   Sad really.   Grigorenko of Buffalo was screwed this way.

the thinking is that since they're physically ready, they at least are strong/fast enough to create time/space for themselves, and they'll learn on the job how to be effective. It works with some, but not all. Theres a massive jump between chl and nhl no matter how you cut it.

He's going to need a big game today if he doesn't want to be the 13th forward. These first two games have been disappointing to say the least, not meshing with teammates, making dumb passes and not having faith in his shot. In my opinion I think spending the rest of the year in Jr would be good for him. Let him find his scoring touch again and get his confidence up. These next two / three years Vancouver is going to really have to focus on developing players properly so take time with Jake, he has all the fundamentals of a good hockey player just not the head (right now). 

Just now, winthecup said:

no one going to comment on Virtanen screening the goalie on that last goal? ...or just criticism, when he should have been screening the goalie...lol.  

nothing against Virtanen but he didn't screen the goalie he was just standing beside the net the goalie saw that shot Hicketts just beat him.

thats what he needs to do, he needs to be better positionally infront of the net. he tends to stand to the side at times thus giving the goalie a clear sight line. 

its like vey on the pp last night, atleast burrows plants himself infront of the net on the pp and tries his best to screen the goalie, why vey is rewarded with 1st unit pp time baffles me. Pays to play for medicine hat under WD

Virt just needs to simplify his game