The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Couple good shots at the end of the period. Seems like he's getting a little more engaged at least. And he's obviously been asked to try and establish a net front presence while pushing off to his strong side for the close shots. That's what he seemed to be doing yesterday as well. Makes sense since you know Strome and Marner are trying to QB the offense. 

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

16 minutes ago, winthecup said:

no one going to comment on Virtanen screening the goalie on that last goal? ...or just criticism, when he should have been screening the goalie...lol.  

I was about to and then I realized he wasn't screening the goalie. 

He had a better period, battled hard in front of the net, but then made a bad pass to Marner on the PP, and then cut to the front of the net and lost the puck with 20 seconds left in the period. 

1 minute ago, Spotted Zebra said:

I was about to and then I realized he wasn't screening the goalie. 

He had a better period, battled hard in front of the net, but then made a bad pass to Marner on the PP, and then cut to the front of the net and lost the puck with 20 seconds left in the period. 

more of a distraction....but even Bob Mackenzie just called it a screen. Yea that bad pass was more of a miscommunication. Virtanen was passing it to the point, where Barzal should of been. Barzal was all over the place which isnt a bad thing in this tournament but something Jake has to get used of. 

16 minutes ago, Kassassinate said:

Whats encouraging is i see jake going out of his way to try and make those hits, i didnt see that the first two games.

I think you are right. And I think that maybe Jake should just focus on being a physical high energy guy who uses speed, hitting, and strength to wear down the opponents. He came into the WJC this year apparently thinking he was going to be one of the leading scorers (and that is what we all wanted). But it looks like he does not have the hockey IQ or passing skills for that kind of game.

It is looking increasing like Craig Button was right about Jake -- that he is likely to be a high energy 3rd liner at the NHL level. That is disappointing for a #6 overall pick, especially compared to what Nylander and Ehlers are likely to do. But, hey, it is a lot better than nothing. If he can be a solid NHL 3rd-liner next year or the year after that is okay.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

I think you are right. And I think that maybe Jake should just focus on being a physical high energy guy who uses speed, hitting, and strength to wear down the opponents. He came into the WJC this year apparently thinking he was going to be one of the leading scorers (and that is what we all wanted). But it looks like he does not have the hockey IQ or passing skills for that kind of game.

It is looking increasing like Craig Button was right about Jake -- that he is likely to be a high energy 3rd liner at the NHL level. That is disappointing for a #6 overall pick, especially compared to what Nylander and Ehlers are likely to do. But, hey, it is a lot better than nothing. If he can be a solid NHL 3rd-liner next year or the year after that is okay.

Lol - yes looks like you can correctly evaluate the career projection of a kid at 19. Some of the people on here are just UNBELIEVABLE.

FYI - Sedins were supposed busts at 19

Kesler was never going to be more than an third liner

Burrows wasn't supposed to make the AHL (yes AHL)

on and on...you people have so little hockey intelligence it makes my eyes bleed.

LMAO!!!!

Edited by McCannon
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Game over, man.  Game over.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, McCannon said:

Lol - yes looks like you can correctly evaluate the career projection of a kid at 19. Some of the people on here are just UNBELIEVABLE.

FYI - Sedins were supposed busts at 19

Kesler was never going to be more than an third liner

Burrows wasn't supposed to make the AHL (yes AHL)

on and on...you people have so little hockey intelligence it makes my eyes bleed.

LMAO!!!!

I see that you've finally learned Jake's correct age. Its a start. 

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Jake is just not playing very well.  Either he is playing injured or he isn't allowed to play his style of game.  I sure hope it isn't because he was sent off to play in the WJC when he was still injured.

He was injured before he went to the AHL - it could be a nagging injury / not 100% healed