The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

4 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Underwhelming, but not an awful showing so far.

I really hope people don't still think he has nothing to learn from going back to Juniors.  

And there would be nothing wrong with that, alot of great players went back at 19. Perry, Getzlaf, Carter, Richards, Pk Subban, list goes on and on...its not some big deal like some here want to suggest. In fact most players go back, few actually make the NHL at 19, most get some time in the AHL etc. Only the pure elite tend to make the jump or those physically, defensively and most importantly mentally ready - Jake isn't mentally ready.

Edited by McCannon

1 minute ago, Edlerberry said:

with his shoulder surgery. never regained that feeling

I sure hope that's not true.

Swiss are very well coached and have a lot of spirit.  TC just doesn't seem to have what it takes to win this tourny.  So many players are not playing all that great.  Seem to lack leadership and intensity.

2 minutes ago, Edlerberry said:

with his shoulder surgery. never regained that feeling

I kind of think it's from a lack of practicing his shot after shoulder surgery. But shoulder surgery does mess everything up, I've had friends who were really good Pitchers in baseball (probably would have made a div 1 team) but after shoulder surgery they just couldn't generate the same velocity

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gstank29 said:

I kind of think it's from a lack of practicing his shot after shoulder surgery. But shoulder surgery does mess everything up, I've had friends who were really good Pitchers in baseball (probably would have made a div 1 team) but after shoulder surgery they just couldn't generate the same velocity

ya. or the motion changes slightly and now his muscle memory is off. its definitely a matter of shooting as many pucks a day as he can all summer

6 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

The goals he's scored in Van and 1 with the WJC have had alot of speed and weight (outside of accuracy). I think the issue is he's not shooting from dangerous areas and his release.

Part of making it to the next level is you have less time, meaning you have to get your shot off faster. His decision making has to speed up slightly which comes with time.

In the W, his speed separated him alot, which game him time to get a 'look'. In the NHL, AHL, and with the best of world in the WJC, the advantage of the speed is minimized (less on a relative basis vs players in the W). What this means is, he has less time to get his shot off, less of a long look at spots...so...he has to learn to think a bit faster, release a bit faster, etc. Most players have to learn this (the biggest adjustment to the pros is always speed and time, more speed and less time)...His shot's not gone, its just he has to adjust to the pace better.

This is why players like Sakic, Hull, Nazzy, Kariya, were so dangerous, and why someone like McCann has been able to make the jump and score - the release is so quick, they can get their shot off from anywhere and with little time, this is what Jake needs to improve on.

Edited by McCannon