The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

5 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, I don't know if it was the Canadian fans calling for a shot or what but he frustrated me on that PP.

They were. Strome doesn't seem to pass which is quite odd because in junior he'd pass a lot. Maybe there just isn't enough chemistry going on. Nobody seems to be doing good with each other. 

However, same could be said for Virtanen. Had 2 guys open on one play but didn't pass. Clearly an area for improvement. However, Virtanen had a decent game.

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

They were. Strome doesn't seem to pass which is quite odd because in junior he'd pass a lot. Maybe there just isn't enough chemistry going on. Nobody seems to be doing good with each other. 

However, same could be said for Virtanen. Had 2 guys open on one play but didn't pass. Clearly an area for improvement. 

Yeah I know they were. I was saying I don't know if it was that or his own self-imposed frustrations but he looked impatient there. 

Virt has been in the top half of Canadian forwads 5v5 for me IMO

Konecny has been the best player. 

Crouse Stephens Virtanen Barzal Quenneville have been goodish

Gautier was OK

Point Beauvillier Chartier was meh

Marner Strome Perlini were BAAAAADDDDD

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You stated Bertuzzi wouldn't do that.  I said you obviously didn't watch much hockey in berts hey day.  You refused to go look.

There's no reasoning to be had.  You made an erroneous and false statement and won't go look to correct it, so you told me to stop quoting you.

Deal with it.

As well, Virt played a solid game.  Team canada didn't.

Ok

You brought Bertuzzi up

Which statement, the Virtanens took a dirty penalty, I don't even know how you can say that was ok, maybe if it was Marchand I would agree, and ask me for a point

I was correct when i said the penalty was dirty, it was a dirty penalty punching someone in the back of the head with no real reason, so shove that on your face 

Sure keep quoting me, come off as a fool as you always have

Virt sure played like a "meatstick" ha-ha, when he couldn't produce offensively

In my opinion Virtanen is a bust, he's not quick/agile enough and lack's instinct- he's constantly making big loops and turning away from the play which makes him almost alweays the third guy in when in fact with his size he should be first or second. He has weak handles and a slow release. Benning had at least 20 other better picks he could have made, At least he stole McCann though. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Ok

You brought Bertuzzi up

Which statement, the Virtanens took a dirty penalty, I don't even know how you can say that was ok, maybe if it was Marchand I would agree, and ask me for a point

I was correct when i said the penalty was dirty, it was a dirty penalty punching someone in the back of the head with no real reason, so shove that on your face 

Sure keep quoting me, come off as a fool as you always have

Virt sure played like a "meatstick" ha-ha, when he couldn't produce offensively

This happeneds in all scrums in the NHL, and Virtanen was being held by a swedish player as well. The penalty wasn't the most gentleman action but I'd rather have this than the dive by the Swedish player on the Chartier high stick and the Konecny dive behind the swedish net. 

2 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

In my opinion Virtanen is a bust, he's not quick/agile enough and lack's instinct- he's constantly making big loops and turning away from the play which makes him almost alweays the third guy in when in fact with his size he should be first or second. He has weak handles and a slow release. Benning had at least 20 other better picks he could have made, At least he stole McCann though. 

Calling a player a bust at 19yrs old is kind of dopey though.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

"lack's"

Why, oh why, would you put an apostrophe there?

1 minute ago, 87Crosby said:

This happeneds in all scrums in the NHL, and Virtanen was being held by a swedish player as well. The penalty wasn't the most gentleman action but I'd rather have this than the dive by the Swedish player on the Chartier high stick and the Konecny dive behind the swedish net. 

Wasn't that Marner? It was pretty much on par with Hickey's penalty just a few minutes prior, but yeah that was pretty soft on Marner. In the NHL that's likely not a penalty, just a turnover.

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Wasn't that Marner? It was pretty much on par with Hickey's penalty just a few minutes prior, but yeah that was pretty soft on Marner. In the NHL that's likely not a penalty, just a turnover.

You might be right but its IIHF rules 

15 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

Oh man a 19 year old prospect is a bust!!! Oh noooo

17 minutes ago, 87Crosby said:

No, Virtanens went in, no man on him and started pounding at the back of this guys head, watch his facial expression while he was pounding, its hilarious, he was really into it with Passion

If the Canucks were a good team this year and the sedins were a few years younger I wonder if  we would be obsessing over the prospects like this.  I think the fan base is a little scared that there is nobody to take over once our first line guys go...

• Upvote 1

I said it in the summer and got blasted for it right here in this thread. Virtanen is nowhere near worth a 6th overall pick not even close, if you continue to defend him at this point you are a big time Homer.

It is time to stop defending him and time for him to actually start playing well. He has played bad since he drafted him. He should be dominating this tournament, he should be Canada's best player, yet he is nowhere close

Edited by CanucksFanTillDeath1995

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

If the Canucks were a good team this year and the sedins were a few years younger I wonder if  we would be obsessing over the prospects like this.  I think the fan base is a little scared that there is nobody to take over once our first line guys go...

No body has shown they have the potential of taking over. Besides Matthews.