The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

27 minutes ago, CanucksFanTillDeath1995 said:

So we are not allowed to criticize our draft choices? Get a grip.

And does Chicago have a Virtanen? I don't think so. They have a Kane though, who is like Nylander/Ehlers and a Toews who is like Larkin.

Incessant whining is criticising?  How can you criticize a 19 YEAR OLD who has played 19 games? Kane was selected first overall, Toews was 3rd. The 2 players taken at 6th those years. Sam Gagner and Brassard. Let's wait to see if Jake develops. Whining about him now is nothing more than being a whiner.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Look at LA and Boston though. They have lots of those players.

That's the type of team Benning is trying to build.

Are you referring to Dustin Brown or Lucic? Those are the only 2 players I can think of. 

Brown and Lucic were never integral in Boston and LA cup runs.

For the Kings, it was Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Carter, Gaborik (2nd cup)

For the Bruins it was Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, Rask/Thomas. At least imo, Virtanen types are not critical to success

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CanucksFanTillDeath1995 said:

In terms of play style. 

Chicago does not have a player that plays a low IQ, north south game like Virtanen. Look at all of Chicago's key players.
Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford, Hossa

None play like Virtanen. They do however play like Nylander.  Who is to say you need a Virtanen to win in the playoffs? From what I have seen Kane/Toews/Doughty win cups. Virtanen types do not.

A hahaha haha,  there is that low hockey IQ comment again. Show me the test and his score. It doesn't exist. Button said it and if you Google low hockey IQ you get nothing. Stop using it and stop whining. If you want to cheer for Nylander, join their board.

• Upvote 1

Just now, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

A hahaha haha,  there is that low hockey IQ comment again. Show me the test and his score. It doesn't exist. Button said it and if you Google low hockey IQ you get nothing. Stop using it and stop whining. If you want to cheer for Nylander, join their board.

Im a Canucks fan and always will be. 

Watch how he plays. Very low IQ, many posters here have also conceded that fact. Take off the Homer hat and watch Virtanen play. He is not a smart hockey player

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksFanTillDeath1995 said:

Are you referring to Dustin Brown or Lucic? Those are the only 2 players I can think of. 

Brown and Lucic were never integral in Boston and LA cup runs.

For the Kings, it was Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Carter, Gaborik (2nd cup)

For the Bruins it was Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, Rask/Thomas. At least imo, Virtanen types are not critical to success

You don't understand the importance of a supporting cast then.

Virtanen may not end up becoming a star, that doesn't mean these players aren't a critical part of a Stanley Cup winner. You're ignoring how important the Bruins and Kings physical game was to them winning.

Lucic and Horton were huge parts of their run, not mention Recchi. The whole team played a north-south game. The same game Virtanen plays. Brown, Richards, and Williams all play the same straight line game too.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CanucksFanTillDeath1995 said:

Im a Canucks fan and always will be. 

Watch how he plays. Very low IQ, many posters here have also conceded that fact. Take off the Homer hat and watch Virtanen play. He is not a smart hockey player

Amazing how many low IQ hockey players were on the ice in the Canada- Sweden game. Must have had professional lace tiers in the change room. If Virtanen stands out as a disappointment then how about the rest of the team?

Just now, Boudrias said:

Amazing how many low IQ hockey players were on the ice in the Canada- Sweden game. Must have had professional lace tiers in the change room. If Virtanen stands out as a disappointment then how about the rest of the team?

Anyone who thinks high hockey IQ equals success in the playoffs needs to go watch some playoffs games.

The teams that play simple consistent hockey are the ones that have success. That's why Sutter is such a good coach, he keeps it simple. Move the puck up, chip it in, forecheck hard, retrieve puck, crash the net, score garbage goals, repeat. If you can do that consistently in the playoffs you'll have success.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You don't understand the importance of a supporting cast then.

Virtanen may not end up becoming a star, that doesn't mean these players aren't a critical part of a Stanley Cup winner. You're ignoring how important the Bruins and Kings physical game was to them winning.

Lucic and Horton were huge parts of their run, not mention Recchi. The whole team played a north-south game. The same game Virtanen plays. Brown, Richards, and Williams all play the same straight line game too.

I find it funny how people think that our only path to success is to draft a 100+ first line center to lead a supercharged, highlight reel offence while ignoring the fact that the teams that are winning the cup don't play that kind of game.

Everyone keeps talking about how Virtanen seems to have low hockey IQ.  I was really happy about the pick originally.

Lately though watching him is very concerning.  He does not look that fast at the WJC compared to many others players.  Even more concerning is how he appears to be able to skate for about 20 seconds before being totally gassed and having to get off the ice.

Both of these things, in addition to the fact that he never appears to know where to go, are very concerning to me at this point.  I hope to hell he can figure it out eventually.

Edited by Zaine

37 minutes ago, Zaine said:

Everyone keeps talking about how Virtanen seems to have low hockey IQ.  I was really happy about the pick originally.

Lately though watching him is very concerning.  He does not look that fast at the WJC compared to many others players.  Even more concerning is how he appears to be able to skate for about 20 seconds before being totally gassed and having to get off the ice.

Both of these things, in addition to the fact that he never appears to know where to go, are very concerning to me at this point.  I hope to hell he can figure it out eventually.

Or maybe the coach wants a line change? If you're gassed on a 20 second shift you shouldn't even play at all. Mostly everyone can last 20 seconds....

At this point I see him as a Raffi Torres at best. 

That's not bad but not awesome either. It was a safe pick as he'll be an NHL-er but I wouldn't expect an allstar in the making. Maybe 15 goals a season. Maybe a guy that becomes something more in the playoffs (and that would be nice too)

That said, I like the kid and hope he exceeds that wildly. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I bet Kane will finish his career with more cups and individual awards than Crosby. He's just peaking this year. He could easily walk away with the Art Ross, Hart, and Lindsay.

Minus the hype and Kane>>Crosby and Ovechkin.

And he could easily walk away with none of those trophies. Crosby, on the other hand, has actually won some individual trophies in his career. If not for injuries, Crosby is probably the most decorated forward in NHL history not name Gretzky, Lemieux, or Howe and Ovechkin is one of the five greatest goalscorers the game has ever seen. Patrick Kane is really good at playing on a really good team.

It's not even remotely close, DeNiro. I can't believe you would try to argue otherwise.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

I really like Jake, and I realize that most of the Canadian team was invisible today, but he doesn't even seem to be able to do the basics correctly right now. Two plays stand out for me today outside of that nice back check and a shift near the end of the first.

1. Julien Gauthier was screening the Swedish goalie on Marner's goal in the third. It was a perfect screen and the goalie never saw the shot. Jake should take the video of how Gauthier was positioned on the screen and be forced to watch it over and over because Jake doesn't seem to know how to screen a goalie. Every single time he's trying to screen, he's actually standing to the side of the goalie and allowing him to see the shots. 
  2. With about four minutes left in the third, Jake takes a nice pass on the wide right side of the Swedish zone and had an opportunity to take it directly to the net. Instead he took the lazy and easy route and did that wide looping thing he likes to do and skates behind the net out wide on the left side now then taking a shot, which of course missed. For a guy of his size, the better play was just taking it straight to the goal off the right wing rush. At worst, trying to jam it in the crease could have at least created a loose puck that another player might have been able to jump on.

I know I know, it's true careers aren't made in the WJC's, but I was at least hoping to see signs of the player we think he can be.

Other than a few hits, he's had no impact in this tourney at all. If JB brings him back to Vancouver instead of sending him to Calgary, is it even possible that he comes back with even less confidence than when he left? Yikes.

Good analysis of weak fundamentals in Jake's game. He needs a year with Travis Green in Utica.

And the confidence problem worries me, too. He was supposed to go to the WJC to gain confidence but it looks like the reverse is happening. And there is no way we can blame the coaches, the referees, or anyone else. Jake just does look that good right now, despite the shrinking but still significant number of CDC posters with rose-colored glasses.

He just needs to focus on playing good fundamental hockey in the game against Finland and take things one step at a time.

On December 29, 2015 at 4:51 PM, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

at this rate can he just get a couple of decent shots on goal and I will be fine with that.

JV is not the type of player to create his own shot.  Mostly he needs a gifted centre to get him the puck: either in stride while attacking through the neutral zone, or in a shooting position.

1 hour ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Or maybe the coach wants a line change? If you're gassed on a 20 second shift you shouldn't even play at all. Mostly everyone can last 20 seconds....

It does not appear the coach is the one calling him off.  He has consistently been  off the ice after very short shifts compared to his line mates.  He also appears gassed after one hard skating moment...unlike a guy like Konecny (sp).  Maybe it has a little to do with having played with the nucks as the NHL coaches certainly expect shorter shifts then junior coaches.

15 minutes ago, Zaine said:

It does not appear the coach is the one calling him off.  He has consistently been  off the ice after very short shifts compared to his line mates.  He also appears gassed after one hard skating moment...unlike a guy like Konecny (sp).  Maybe it has a little to do with having played with the nucks as the NHL coaches certainly expect shorter shifts then junior coaches.

Maybe he's trying to lead by example too?  He's the older, experienced Gold winner.  He has short super all out shifts, and the other guys follow suit.  I'm betting a lot of these guys, when not around the puck, are coasting.  It's off camera, so we don't see it.  JV is leading by example, but there are too many selfish players to follow.  Maybe there are too many guys focused on individual rather than team success.

2 hours ago, nowhereman said:

It's not even remotely close, DeNiro. I can't believe you would try to argue otherwise.

It will be alot closer after this season, wait and see.

Kane won the Calder and the Conn Smythe, something Crosby has never and will never win.

Add up those two and Crosby has 6 more individual awards (being two years older). If Kane picks up the sweep of the Hart, Art Ross, and Lindsay, which if he keeps up the way he's played he will; he'll be within 3.

And I don't see him slowing down next season, whereas Crosby is already on a sharp decline.

You say it's not close, I say it will be alot closer than you think. Kane's 3 cups (and maybe more) will put him above Crosby when all is said and done.

Edited by DeNiro

On 12/31/2015 at 0:30 PM, NEON.KNEE said:

Show me one article or projection from a scout that said that Jake would be some all star offensive threat.  He was projected to be a a big body with a quality shot, which he is.  He has the raw skill to be an NHL'er and his development will determine how high his ceiling is.

The armchair scouting taken to the ultimate extreme is not only embarrassing all of you as fans, but it is retarding Jake's development.  Show some goddamn patience, especially you know it all nay sayers... If I had a question about surfing or obnoxious accents then I would value your opinion.

Personal and racist attack, real classy and just denounces your entire argument.

When you're picked top-10 in a deep draft you're expected to be either a future star goalie, top-4 if not top-2 defenceman or a top-6 if not top-3 forward, regardless of style of play. If Jake was projected to be a 3rd line big body banger and crasher who can score 20 goals, I think we've just wasted a very high pick because those players are much easier to find than a top line 30-40 goal scoring powerforward.

That's what Jake is supposed to be, that's what he was advertised as and if that's not his ceiling then he shouldn't have been picked 6th overall where guys around him in the draft are projected to be. Players taken before and after him are all projected to be top line players in the NHL, Jake should be one of them or we've made the wrong pick.

Edited by DownUndaCanuck
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Calling a player a bust at 19yrs old is kind of dopey though.

Times have changed Bud, 18 and 19 year olds are way better off to step in and contribute now then 10 years ago, in fact in many cases forwards are in their prime 21-26 years of age. So no calling a player a "bust" who was picked 6th overall, ahead of guys like, is not dopey. We can all see that he lacks some pretty critical things to be an effective top 6 player in the NHL.

1 7 Carolina Haydn Fleury D Red Deer Rebels [WHL]            
1 8 Toronto William Nylander C MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik [SweHL]            
1 9 Winnipeg Nikolaj Ehlers L Halifax Mooseheads [QMJHL] 36 5 7 12 8 2015-16
1 10 Anaheim Nick Ritchie L Peterborough Petes [OHL] 11 0 1 1 4 2015-16
1 11 Nashville Kevin Fiala C HV71 Jonkoping [SweHL] 1 0 0 0 0 2014-15
1 12 Arizona Brendan Perlini L Niagara IceDogs [OHL]            
1 13 Washington Jakub Vrana C Linkopings HC [SweHL]            
1 14 Dallas Julius Honka D Swift Current Broncos [WHL]            
1 15 Detroit Dylan Larkin C U.S. National Under-18 Team [USHL] 36 13 11 24 20 2015-16
1 16 Columbus Sonny Milano L U.S. National Under-18 Team [USHL]            
1 17 Philadelphia Travis Sanheim D Calgary Hitmen [WHL]            
1 18 Minnesota Alex Tuch R U.S. National Under-18 Team [USHL]            
1 19 Tampa Bay Anthony DeAngelo D Sarnia Sting [OHL]            
1 20 Chicago Nick Schmaltz F Green Bay Gamblers [USHL]            
1 21 St. Louis Robby Fabbri C Guelph Storm [OHL] 33 9 4 13 2 2015-16
1 22 Pittsburgh Kasperi Kapanen F KalPa Kuopio [SM-liiga]            
1 23 Colorado Conner Bleackley C Red Deer Rebels [WHL]            
1 24 Vancouver Jared McCann C Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHL] 36 7 4 11 14 2015-16
1 25 Boston David Pastrnak L Sodertalje SK [Swe-1] 56 12 19 31 16 2015-16
1 26 Montreal Nikita Scherbak R Saskatoon Blades [WHL]            
1 27 San Jose Nikolay Goldobin L Sarnia Sting [OHL] 9 1 1 2 0 2015-16
1 28 NY Islanders Josh Ho-Sang C Windsor Spitfires [OHL]            
1 29 Los Angeles Adrian Kempe L MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik [SweHL]            
1 30 New Jersey John Quenneville