The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

19 minutes ago, mll said:

There's a clip of Benning somewhere from last April where he is asked about Boston/LA not making the playoffs and he was saying that the game was maybe not about being physical but about being fast.  He talked of how the game is constantly changing.

I think he is trying to get a balance of different types of players with the common denominator being speed. 

Boston missed the playoffs because their team is a shadow of it's former self and Los Angeles was just gassed from winning all those cups and constantly going deep in the playoffs. LA is right back where they belong, second in the West and primed for another Cup run. They're my current pick to come out of the West.

There is no magical recipe to success and drafting a certain type of player, rather than BPA, can be very risky. But any team with speed, skill AND size is much better primed for success than a team that is just skilled and fast. Size and toughness still counts for a ton, especially in the playoffs.

A GM should never try to follow trends in the NHL. Just try to build the best damn team you can. But if they're big and tough and can play the game anyway they have to... even better.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure Jake will turn out to be a lot like Krieder, in the way he plays and his stats. Which isnt bad for a 6th overall pick in the draft. If your expecting Corey Perry or Rick Nash, your setting yourself up for disappointment. He is still really raw.  He isn't Zach Kassian, this kid has a  good work ethic. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, nowhereman said:

Boston missed the playoffs because their team is a shadow of it's former self and Los Angeles was just gassed from winning all those cups and constantly going deep in the playoffs. LA is right back where they belong, second in the West and primed for another Cup run. They're my current pick to come out of the West.

There is no magical recipe to success and drafting a certain type of player, rather than BPA, can be very risky. But any team with speed, skill AND size is much better primed for success than a team that is just skilled and fast. Size and toughness still counts for a ton, especially in the playoffs.

A GM should never try to follow trends in the NHL. Just try to build the best damn team you can. But if they're big and tough and can play the game anyway they have to... even better.

I was just relaying what Benning said to dispute the statement that "He will choose players who play hard and physical over skilled guys every time".  As you say speed, skill and size is the ideal combo but that's so rare to find.  In the past teams went for size over speed/skills but the game is different now so several teams have been adjusting their approach.  I thought it was a positive for Benning to recognise that because so much was made for him wanting to go all "meat&potatoes" and replicate the Boston model and I want to believe that Virtanen was taken as BPA and not because he was a player with size or a local kid.  

As for not following the trend - it has more to do about the evolution of the game: rolling 4 lines, change in D philosophy, etc - teams need to be built in such a way that they can counter the other teams so it's not really possible to ignore the trends.

---

Virtanen has shown to have speed and size so it would be nice to get to start to see the smarts/skills.  The NHL might not be the right setting to develop those traits and he might be better suited going back to juniors to play big minutes in all situations.  Learn how to dominate that league on skills and not on physicality as it's obvious that he'll outbeat everyone if he plays his size.  

Keeping him in the NHL and have him be physical is all nice and dandy but at the end of the day I expect a more complete player out of Virtanen and with the minutes he is getting I am not convinced it's faster for his development.  

As for his U20 performance I think he has been put in an unfair situation.  It looks like he made the Canucks for PR purposes more than on merit and sending him to the U20 with the expectation that he will dominate after barely playing was just too tall of an ask.

Jake is punching his own ticket back to Calgary with his discipline I think. Probably for the best as he was expected to lead at the WJC, both offensively and as a team leader.

His selfish game today taking bad penalties is not going to endear him to team Canada but also the Nucks are watching this. It's a maturity thing, and ability to deal with pressure and frustration. He is likely frustrated for a number of reasons, not scoring, not sticking with the Nucks etc...but its a test of his mental strength. He didn't lead plain and simple - you don't take stupid penalties at key times if you are a leader- they are selfish and not team first. And there is no doubt each of his 3 penalties were completely stupid and selfish.

You can't allow frustration to boil over into stupid penalties that cost your team, incredibly important in the WJC but imagine in the NHL?

Jake has both game development that is necessary but we're also seeing the mental side now, something Bo and McCann have over him.

Hopefully he'll learn from this and learn to channel his frustrations the way he should, clean hits, using his speed to get shots on net, not stupid penalties.

Edited by McCannon

Yup. He's a moron.

There's playing with an edge, there's being a dip****. He's column B, and has been this whole tournament. I've watched this tournament with a few people who had no idea who Virtanen was or who he was drafted by and even they've said "he looks lost out there and the only time he's found is doing something wrong"

2 minutes ago, CanucksFanTillDeath1995 said:

Virtanen just cost us the tournament. 

Not yet! have faith! But if we lose, yes alot of this is on him

His first penalty (not sure if they scored on the PP but shortly thereafter) changed the momentum

And his next 2 were just as stupid and selfish as the first one and certainly caused the goal as we just saw.

He will be a huge goat if we're out, I certainly hope it doesn't mess with his head long term and he learns a big lesson from it if so.