The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

lets just pile on and blame Jake for everything

this is the 5th game they've played and lots of things have happened

we'll see how Jake responds to adversity.  that's why he was sent to the tournament

See how he deals with it in Calgary 

Just now, Gooseberries said:

See how he deals with it in Calgary 

Not defending Jake's third period, but where was all this criticism the first two periods? Not you specifically, but the last couple pages in general.

Also...that was an equally dumb penalty by Marner. They've called those retaliatory penalties all tournament.

• Upvote 2

If Benning allows him to be on the Nucks after this WJC it just goes to show he is playing favourites.......Jake did nothing to prove he belonged on the team at the start of the season and he has done nothing to prove he can stay. 

If GMJB really preaches roster spots based on play then he actually needs to show it........Virtanen is not ready.....he really needs to be back in Junior to continue to develop and maybe AHL next  year if he is not ready

4 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Not defending Jake's third period, but where was all this criticism the first two periods? Not you specifically, but the last couple pages in general.

Also...that was an equally dumb penalty by Marner. They've called those retaliatory penalties all tournament.

Marner tied the game twice. He didn't nulify a potential 5 on 3 like Virtanen did the take 2 more dumb penalties. 

Just now, CanucksFanTillDeath1995 said:

Marner tied the game twice. He didn't nulify a potential 5 on 3 like Virtanen did the take 2 more dumb penalties. 

I'm not excusing the penalties. I'm curious as to why you and the posters of your ilk were dead silent the first two periods.

7 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Not basing my comment on this game but rather his play since September.  Not once have I thought he had earned a slot with this club. He's looked out of place ever since and has made me look good.  

For the record I didn't watch this game. Heard he had an apple but cost us multiple positions and goals against. 

I dont wanna go overboard cause this horrendous tournament and horrible game shouldn't have any effect on his career going forward.

But I do remember discipline being one of the issues I had with him going into the draft, and one of the reasons I wanted us to take someone else but it is what it is,

Disappointing loss today & disapointing tourney from Virts. Not much else you can really say. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

On 2015-12-30 at 4:08 PM, McCannon said:

I am playing devils advocate on many of my points that refute these bashers and yet they can't handle it because it points out the absurdity of their arguments.

We'll give this thread a time out if this goes too far in the way of blame.

Team game.  Coaches on the bench.  Goaltender.  It all factors in so don't reduce it to an individual thing.  Sure, it's ok to comment on blunders and poor decisions, but keep it in perspective.  "Junior" hockey.  They're not quite there yet and to expect perfection says more about us than them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

But guys, we need to have patience.  He's only 19 and look at all the potential he has

Buddy, he's 19

He's played in the NHL

He's played in 2 WJC

He just needs to develop his game a bit more and work on his maturity as most 19 yr olds do

Wow man - ya he sucks he's only been on team canada twice because he sucks and has no upside

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gooseberries said:

Not basing my comment on this game but rather his play since September.  Not once have I thought he had earned a slot with this club. He's looked out of place ever since and has made me look good.  

For the record I didn't watch this game. Heard he had an apple but cost us multiple positions and goals against. 

First two periods he was awesome. Had about a half dozen takeaways (including one on the play he registered an assist) and threw some hits. People will vilify him for the penalties, and they should, but nobody wanted to acknowledge his strong play for the first two periods.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

We'll give this thread a time out if this goes too far in the way of blame.

Team game.  Coaches on the bench.  Goaltender.  It all factors in so don't reduce it to an individual thing.  Sure, it's ok to comment on blunders and poor decisions, but keep it in perspective.  "Junior" hockey.  They're not quite there yet and to expect perfection says more about us than them.

What are you talking about? I was commenting on the immaturity of posters who bash Junior / developing players.

Not sure you got the point but whatever.

A really bad tournament for Jake, his hockey sense is clearly something he needs to work on. He needs a good season with the Hitmen and maybe a full year in the AHL. I'm not worried about him, but he is still very raw.

• Upvote 1