The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Go to any canadian team board and Jake's getting ripped. Virtanen has lots to prove, wouldn't be surprised if Don Cherry rips him too on coaches corner. My question is  has there ever been a player that played so poorly for Canada, and still became a top 6 after? Because normally the players who have the "IT" factor show something.  Virtanen is years away from the nhl, I wonder what Willie and Benning thought after watching his play. 

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******
  • Upvote 2

He was just never clicking, he's never really seemed to play with the fire and determination we have seen from guys like Marner and Konecny this tournament which is a shame cause he would be an absolute force with his physical attributes, he just looses his cool and plays undisciplined hockey, and not just this tournament crossing the line from time to time has been a known flaw in his game to this point in his career. 

Really wish we had Marner right now though, what a kid the Leafs have in him, I so wish we had traded up last year but the price would have probably been unrealistic. 

Just now, vancan3322 said:

What a shame, he really did have a good first and second period.

I agree he had a hell of a second period, but a complete meltdown in the third. 

One of his assets is his supposed speed in strenght. He got one last chance to redeem himself, and gout outhustled, and out muscled, along the boards, almost leading to a goal against again. 

• Upvote 1

Jake had a great 1st period and 2nd period. thrid period, he **** the bed.

At least he got a point, and not pointless. 

However, by far the crappiest 3rd period in the tournament for Virtanen. Possibly the crappiest period he's played all tournament long. 

Virtanen needs to go to the minors asap to re-gain his confidence. 

Edited by Odd.

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

Jake will be AHL eligible next season and the Canucks would be wise to have him start the year in Utica. He was rushed to the NHL before he was ready and that can backfire if a kid isn't ready yet. Jake wasn't ready.

Agreed. I think and have stated many times the Nucks probably felt the AHL was the best spot for him too but couldn't send him there. Given his physical maturity they felt he could handle the physicality of the NHL so they thought bring him along slowly but better they have control over his development than a junior team

I think after seeing him play they can see the AHL was indeed the best spot, but now given his play at the NHL level, his showing at the WJC (maturity issues) it seems the WHL actually may be better for him. Get his mojo back, confidence, work on the maturity side, then to the AHL for one or 2 seasons just like Gaunce and Shink, then bring him up.

Nothing wrong with that, that's the route most players take, its normal and not a bad thing, in fact he'll likely become more of the player most expect him to be by going that route anyways.

• Upvote 2

Virtanen single-handedly lost the game for Canada in the World Junior Hockey Championship against host country Finland. Despite an amazing game played by both teams, Virtanen managed to string together a good first, but failed to deliver in the second and third periods. Virtanen took terrible, undisciplined penalties all of which leading to Finland's goals in both the second and third period. 

One of these penalties were shocking. In a 4-4 tie with about 4 minutes left in the second period, Finland had a delayed penalty in which Canada had possession of the puck in the offensive zone. After a few good chances, the puck was going to be touched by a Finish forward near the blue line and Virtanen decides to hook him from behind and take a penalty. Not only this, the puck pops out to a different Finish forward and Virtanen slashes his stick and breaks it. On a delayed penalty against Finland, Virtanen hooks and then slashes taking two penalties turning one that would be in our favour to cancelling out and then going short-handed in the span of 3 seconds.  The Fin's score and take the lead before the end of the second. Virtanen will take another undisciplined penalty in the third. 

There is a lot of bad here... and I hope some good. If Virtanen learns from this, he can grow as a player. He lacks a lot of maturity and control of his emotions as most young players do. I hope this devastating loss speeds up his maturity so he can be more disciplined on the Nucks. WD has had much trouble trying to contain Virtanen's undisciplinary actions. 

Did anyone else watch Virtanen single-handedly lose the game for Canada against the Fins? Thoughts?

Virtanen looked alright in his first 9 games in the NHL, but based on his play last year and pre-season I didn't think he deserved those 9 games (Linden admitted that they had him penciled-in before training camp started). We need to develop him slowly. He should go back to junior and then play at least half a season next year in the AHL.

I understand that someone posted a topic similar to this at the same time I did. Unfortunately, the other topic lacks content and brings up a topic that has been discussed much and locked on the Canuck's talk thread and should be posted in the Prospects talk about sending Virtanen to the juniors. 

Tough tournament for Jake. Tough penalties, bad puck luck and over extending himself. Didn't put himself into positions to succeed and therefore tried a little to hard to be a factor. Definitely a learning experience for him, and if I was Benning, I would place him in Calgary for the remainder of the year. His skill set is amazing, and he's a very raw talent. Maturity is the biggest aspect of his game that needs to improve, and luckily time and patience will do that. 

5 minutes ago, swizzey said:

Virtanen single-handedly lost the game for Canada in the World Junior Hockey Championship against host country Finland. Despite an amazing game played by both teams, Virtanen managed to string together a good first, but failed to deliver in the second and third periods. Virtanen took terrible, undisciplined penalties all of which leading to Finland's goals in both the second and third period. 

One of these penalties were shocking. In a 4-4 tie with about 4 minutes left in the second period, Finland had a delayed penalty in which Canada had possession of the puck in the offensive zone. After a few good chances, the puck was going to be touched by a Finish forward near the blue line and Virtanen decides to hook him from behind and take a penalty. Not only this, the puck pops out to a different Finish forward and Virtanen slashes his stick and breaks it. On a delayed penalty against Finland, Virtanen hooks and then slashes taking two penalties turning one that would be in our favour to cancelling out and then going short-handed in the span of 3 seconds.  The Fin's score and take the lead before the end of the second. Virtanen will take another undisciplined penalty in the third. 

There is a lot of bad here... and I hope some good. If Virtanen learns from this, he can grow as a player. He lacks a lot of maturity and control of his emotions as most young players do. I hope this devastating loss speeds up his maturity so he can be more disciplined on the Nucks. WD has had much trouble trying to contain Virtanen's undisciplinary actions. 

Did anyone else watch Virtanen single-handedly lose the game for Canada against the Fins? Thoughts?

Never mind about the bolded....

But yes, he's gonna be a big scapegoat. And deservedly so.

Edited by y-ote'

7 minutes ago, Conscience said:

You can only stick up for a player for so long. Looks like we drafted the next Ben eager 6the overall.

How long's it been again?  Patience young grasshoppers.

If this is a trend in his play, it'll need to be adjusted.  That's why coaches are in place.  It doesn't mean it determines his future...only things that need to be adjusted.  Give him a chance to do so?

Love this age of immediate gratification.  Instant (just add water) superstars.  Need those.

• Upvote 2