The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 minute ago, Dutch_Canuck said:

Tough tournament for Jake. Tough penalties, bad puck luck and over extending himself. Didn't put himself into positions to succeed and therefore tried a little to hard to be a factor. Definitely a learning experience for him, and if I was Benning, I would place him in Calgary for the remainder of the year. His skill set is amazing, and he's a very raw talent. Maturity is the biggest aspect of his game that needs to improve, and luckily time and patience will do that. 

Yes, and it also makes sense why they wanted control over his development. My guess is Benning and Co are smart enough to see and know this. Perhaps the maturity part was a big reason they wanted him in the NHL (teach him to be a pro). Clearly the message didn't get through though. Very selfish game by him, really poor decisions to bad hooking penalties and of course the stupid slash.

I just hope he shakes this off but he was a major factor in this loss.

• Upvote 2

send him down, take the pressure off, let him try to find his offensive game in the whl for this year. Hope they go on a run and he is a key contributor in the PLayoffs.

Next year send him to Green if he is still their in Utica. No matter how his camp is he needs time, and seasoning.  atleast 1 full year in Utica. Shinkaruk had a great pre season a couple years ago and probly earned a 9 game stint and he has spent the past year plus honing his D game and now scoring in the AHL and it has helped his developement. Lets do the same to Jake.

Call up Shinkaruk also imo, slot him in baertschi spot

5 minutes ago, swizzey said:

Virtanen single-handedly lost the game for Canada in the World Junior Hockey Championship against host country Finland. Despite an amazing game played by both teams, Virtanen managed to string together a good first, but failed to deliver in the second and third periods. Virtanen took terrible, undisciplined penalties all of which leading to Finland's goals in both the second and third period. 

One of these penalties were shocking. In a 4-4 tie with about 4 minutes left in the second period, Finland had a delayed penalty in which Canada had possession of the puck in the offensive zone. After a few good chances, the puck was going to be touched by a Finish forward near the blue line and Virtanen decides to hook him from behind and take a penalty. Not only this, the puck pops out to a different Finish forward and Virtanen slashes his stick and breaks it. On a delayed penalty against Finland, Virtanen hooks and then slashes taking two penalties turning one that would be in our favour to cancelling out and then going short-handed in the span of 3 seconds.  The Fin's score and take the lead before the end of the second. Virtanen will take another undisciplined penalty in the third. 

There is a lot of bad here... and I hope some good. If Virtanen learns from this, he can grow as a player. He lacks a lot of maturity and control of his emotions as most young players do. I hope this devastating loss speeds up his maturity so he can be more disciplined on the Nucks. WD has had much trouble trying to contain Virtanen's undisciplinary actions. 

Did anyone else watch Virtanen single-handedly lose the game for Canada against the Fins? Thoughts?

Oh wow are you pathetic.

Sorry for calling you out but man you're sad.

22 other players.  8 other penalties.  5 other goals scored, team canada, the coach...and you blame Virtanen.

There is more than 1 player to blame but you cannot stop sniveling and trying to justify things past one teams, our teams' draft pick.

Wake up sunshine, there is more than 1 player to blame for this loss and it starts with the team canada selection process

But then you don't care to even realize that because it is all virtanens fault.

Now to Elvis mini mod you, there's a virtanen thread, a game day thread AND even an an encompassing WJC thread.

But don't let that stop you from whining about our boy and nobody else as the reason this team lost an entire tournment

No, he did not 'single handedly' lose the game. Canada in general have been pretty poor throughout the tournament. To single him out over everyone else is wrong, even if he played poorly.

I do however, think that he could benefit by going back to junior. He needs to refind his scoring touch and that won't be happening in Vancouver this season.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

How long's it been again?  Patience young grasshoppers.

If this is a trend in his play, it'll need to be adjusted.  That's why coaches are in place.  It doesn't mean it determines his future...only things that need to be adjusted.  Give him a chance to do so?

Love this age of immediate gratification.  Instant (just add water) superstars.  Need those.

I know, right? If a guy doesn't come in and immediately score 50 points in his first taste of the NHL (with inevitable regression the next season) he's a complete write off and will never achieve anything.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Oh wow are you pathetic.

Sorry for calling you out but man you're sad.

22 other players.  8 other penalties.  5 other goals scored, team canada, the coach...and you blame Virtanen.

There is more than 1 player to blame but you cannot stop sniveling and trying to justify things past one teams, our teams' draft pick.

Wake up sunshine, there is more than 1 player to blame for this loss and it starts with the team canada selection process

But then you don't care to even realize that because it is all virtanens fault.

Now to Elvis mini mod you, there's a virtanen thread, a game day thread AND even an an encompassing WJC thread.

But don't let that stop you from whining about our boy and nobody else as the reason this team lost an entire tournment

I don't agree with Warhippy often but he's completely on point here.

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm judging him by watching him compete against his peers.   He was a useless oaf all tournament, even more useless than he was last year.  

He's played in the NHL?  Cool story, "bud".  He was clearly rushed in when he wasn't ready and he has done diddily squat in his time spent there so far.   He's a slightly above average player in Junior who was rushed in to the NHL and now look at him.  

Sure, he has potential but he's not going to just miracuously grow a brain.  He has good skating, and a hard shot although I think I saw him hit the net twice all tournament.  What do you see in his game? 

You don't seem to get the point

He's 19. Sure he was rushed and as even Benning stated he should really have been in the AHL but AGAIN, they couldn't send him there.

So because he played 15 games in the NHL and had an off tournament he's a bust at 19 really? really? all that work to get drafted, all those big years in calgary, all that skill suddenly disappeared in 1/2 a season? that's your argument?

Not sure what makes so many think players need to come in and wow like Bure to not be busts. He's got NHL experience, he's had 2 WJC one, he played very well, the 2nd he didn't handle the pressure well, again a learning experience.

All of that, if he's coached right and brought along well with Green in the AHL next year and potentially the following can actually make him a better player.

Many here don't seem to understand development takes time. So he's not ready for the NHL big deal, we'll see what we have when he's 22.

How old is Baer? He's JUST starting to play with some Jam and contribute, and he's what 22? And its not even consistent yet. How long did Ryan Strome spend in the AHL? Look around man, most players spend years in the AHL. The fact Jake showed he can at least compete against men at 19 should be seen as a great sign not something negative.

It's only negative to people who don't understand hockey in my view.

• Upvote 2

Virtanen is still really raw, junior for the rest of the year and AHL next year will really help his development. The holes in his game are concerning, but nothing that can't be fixed with a solid development path which he is going to be taking.

He might be Torres/Clutterbuck NHL player when he breaks in, but has potential to be more than that.

He is going to be a very interesting player to watch for sure.

• Upvote 1

Lots of growth for Jake in this tournament.  He had a lot of pressure on him.  He was 1 of only 4 returning players and he came with some expectation because of his NHL experience.  The whole team was nervous in the first game and there was a lot of players playing as individuals.  Virtanen got better as the tournament went on which says something.  But in the last game, particularly the final period, emotions got the better of the Canadians.  9 penalties cost the game. 

Virtanen was a go to guy and often on the ice for the last shift.  He learned a lot here.  Does he come back to the Canucks?  I think so.  His WJC performance won't dictate his NHL career.  I think he may be sent down before the 40 game mark though.  He needs some time as a go to guy which he will get in Calgary obviously not in Van.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Winter Soldier said:

I know, right? If a guy doesn't come in and immediately score 50 points in his first taste of the NHL (with inevitable regression the next season) he's a complete write off and will never achieve anything.

I don't understand how you can be so disingenuous. This has nothing to do with points and I'm sure a part of you knows this. The guy just makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't work hard enough to compensate for that. He's coasted on his natural talents, he needs to be given time to start understanding the game. The NHL is not the place for that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I don

its from the hfboard, just went through a couple of them. Winnipeg, Toronto, Calgary, Virtanen is being ripped all across Canada today.

Sigh, found the comments.