The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

1 minute ago, Winter Soldier said:

I know, right? If a guy doesn't come in and immediately score 50 points in his first taste of the NHL (with inevitable regression the next season) he's a complete write off and will never achieve anything.

I don't understand how you can be so disingenuous. This has nothing to do with points and I'm sure a part of you knows this. The guy just makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't work hard enough to compensate for that. He's coasted on his natural talents, he needs to be given time to start understanding the game. The NHL is not the place for that. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I don

its from the hfboard, just went through a couple of them. Winnipeg, Toronto, Calgary, Virtanen is being ripped all across Canada today.

Sigh, found the comments.

Just now, funkyfresh said:

I don't understand how you can be so disingenuous. This has nothing to do with points and I'm sure a part of you knows this. The guy just makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't work hard enough to compensate for that. He's coasted on his natural talents, he needs to be given time to start understanding the game. The NHL is not the place for that. 

Sure, give him back to the Hitmen and start him in Utica next year. Don't write him off nineteen year old because he isn't immediate lightning in a bottle.

• Upvote 1

He had a bad tournament. Plenty of good players in the league have not even participated in the WJC. It's not the end of the world.

However.

It's not fair for the Hunter Shinkaruks' and Gaunces' of the world who have done their work in the minors, to view someone who is clearly not ready at 19, to be placed above them on the depth chart, just because he is the local golden boy .

• Upvote 1

I will be very surprised if Jake doesn't come back a BETTER player for us long term because of this.

The nucks are smart they are going to use this as a HUGE teaching opportunity about discipline, maturity, leadership and indeed as some have said here not coasting on natural talents.

I think Jake was certainly immature and could even see it in his interviews, he was a kid in the candy store in the NHL, happy to be a Canuck not realizing he hasn't 'made it'. It was the first step.

His play at the WJC was disappointing in most regards (relative to team expectations) and certainly what happened today. That being said, perhaps it will knock a bit of the chip off his shoulder of being the local kid on the Canucks and teach him you have a long way to go to be a star Jake. I think he was thinking he was a star and seemed to forget what got him his shot.

He is certainly not ready but if the nucks use this properly, it may actually be the fire we needed lit under his azz to begin to develop the way he should, to learn to work like a Horvat, a Linden, a Smyl, a Burrows, a Sedin to be a future leader on the team.

Lets hope it does. He has bundles of talent but needs to realize there is alot more to the game than being fast and chippy...

Edited by McCannon
  • Upvote 1
On 28/12/2015 at 4:15 AM, Salmonberries said:

I thought he looked okay out there last game. He's probably not feeling very confident right now because the Canucks pushed him into a league that he probably wasn't ready to play in yet but hopefully he gets some of that back as the tournament progresses.

Poor kid...he'll get stronger and grow from this. Its the only thing he can do.

1 minute ago, Winter Soldier said:

Sure, give him back to the Hitmen and start him in Utica next year. Don't write him off nineteen year old because he isn't immediate lightning in a bottle.

Again, almost no one here is asking him to be a point producer in the NHL right away. 

People are (unjustly) writing him off because of the way he is playing. This is what happens when incompetent management puts a kid, who is not ready, in the lineup. 

Hope jake can regain his form playing for the hit men.

his play at the world jrs reflects very poorly on Benning and Willie and the so called development. 

Just imagine what  Canuck fans would be saying if he wasn't a Canuck. The same people calling marner a dog standing up for jake now that's just classic van homerizm at its finest 

• Upvote 1

Well said Shift....in line with what I think in that "fine line" stuff.  Would rather he's all in invested than a casual observer.  Just needs some fine tuning and hopefully he responds to that and learns from this experience.

He was suppose to have no excuse for underperforming in this tourney coming in

He had NHL and AHL playoffs experience

A returnee from last year

2nd line and in 1st power play unit coming.

Some people love to use his NHL experience and being a former wjc goldmedalist to make him look like the best player than other 19 yr olds who'd didn't make WJC or wasn't playing in the NHL

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic