The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Just now, Warhippy said:
On 12/31/2015 at 1:05 PM, Cowardrobertford said:

Best thing we can do for Jake is ignore him.  people talk about destroying his confidence in the NHL?

Imagine what an entire country looking for a scape goat is going to do, and with TSN pinning the whole thing on one bad penalty no less.

Let's keep him up.  Then send him to the AHL and Green for 2+ seasons the same way we did Shinkaruk.  Our best bet is to keep him up, avoid allowing him to pick up those bad habits that Willie D has tried to coach out of him from Junior and then send him to the AHL with Subban Gaunce and the boys at seasons end to develop for the next few seasons.

Because as of right now he is currently persona non grata for about 80% of this board and about half this whole frigging country that cannot see past what TSN will tell them for reasons why Canada is out of the tournament

I don't think I ever said this, it certainly didn't sound like me

Just now, funkyfresh said:

Again, almost no one here is asking him to be a point producer in the NHL right away. 

People are (unjustly) writing him off because of the way he is playing. This is what happens when incompetent management puts a kid, who is not ready, in the lineup. 

No, they're not. But they're using Nylander's AHL numbers (historically a measure of &^@#ing nothing) and declaring him a sure fire first line center who will absolutely succeed and crush adversity. Jake's struggles annoy me far less then the wank job CDC gives to everyone we don't draft. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The 5th Line said:

19 NHL games , 12 AHL games , 2 WJHC tournaments and I watched him around 15 times with Calgary last season.  All together I can honestly say I have seen about 4/5 games as a whole that have impressed me... 

If I sit there and watch him play poorly at all levels why the hell should I expect him to be a good NHL player one day?   He can skate and has good size.  Everything else is sub-par or just plain awful.  

I appreciate that you've seen him alot, and more than I, I can say that for certain.

That being said, I don't think a kid gets drafted 6th overall, is selected to play on team Canada twice (so all the hockey minds at Hockey Canada think he's one of the top under 19 yr olds twice!) and was highly ranked by Central Scouting if he is just 'plain awful or sub par" as you say.

He needs to develop. But he is big, hits like a truck, has a HELL of a shot, and a temper.

What does he need to develop?

1. Maturity

2. 200 ft play

3. Driving play. He has the ability to drive play but sits back alot, this is both a confidence thing and a coaching thing. In the NHL he wanted to stick. I guarantee you WD and team said don't worry about offense, just make sure you don't make defensive errors (just as they did with Bo). To score you need to take risks offensively. From what I have seen of his highlights in junior vs NHL play, is he's sitting back alot more in the NHL, and he did very much so in the WJC, he played overly cautious. When his game is developed enough in #2 above to start being able to take those risks again, we will see his offensive talent come out. He is not a play maker and will need to play with one for us to really see his talent and skill, he's a sniper plain and simple. But once he develops that 200 ft game, starts driving the net, creating room, and plays with a set up man, we will see something great from him in my view. And all of these things are coachable because they are in him. He just needs to go to Junior then one or two seasons with Green to teach him how to play the pro game and use his assets.

4. I have little doubt that Green will take this talent and turn him into a real threat, my biggest concern is we lose Green prior.

My lord, you actually think people are concerned about his point production? Lol the anguish stems from much more concerning things than just point totals

Just now, Winter Soldier said:

No, they're not. But they're using Nylander's AHL numbers (historically a measure of &^@#ing nothing) and declaring him a sure fire first line center who will absolutely succeed and crush adversity. Jake's struggles annoy me far less then the wank job CDC gives to everyone we don't draft. 

1 minute ago, Winter Soldier said:

What?!?

Jason Krog and Darren Haydar are just about to break out. 

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Well said Shift....in line with what I think in that "fine line" stuff.  Would rather he's all in invested than a casual observer.  Just needs some fine tuning and hopefully he responds to that and learns from this experience.

On the double minor his stick was held first. He was probably pretty pissed off about that. The second penalty happened probably because he was pissed off. That is what he has to correct.
But didn't he also stop a two on one by taking that second penalty???

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

I can understand that but the best thing we can do is ignore those posts and focus on Virtanen. 

No doubt the same posters who crowned Cody Hodgson our next impact player are the same ones roasting Jake today (and for the last 3 months). Must be exhausting and a heavy burden indeed as the only observers who are always right and then having to pass this knowledge on to the rest of us. I hope your clairvoyance serves you well in your day jobs.

Just now, zimmy said:

No doubt the same posters who crowned Cody Hodgson our next impact player are the same ones roasting Jake today (and for the last 3 months). Must be exhausting and a heavy burden indeed as the only observers who are always right and then having to pass this knowledge on to the rest of us. I hope your clairvoyance serves you well in your day jobs.

Lol well said

Just now, funkyfresh said:

I can understand that but the best thing we can do is ignore those posts and focus on Virtanen. 

Just now, zimmy said:

You guys get it.

You would have to go back about 30 pages to see somebody talk about Nylanders AHL point totals but okay.   You do you, man

"We could have had x!" is rampant any time any prospect stumbles. You're missing the forest for the trees.

16 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

My lord, you actually think people are concerned about his point production? Lol the anguish stems from much more concerning things than just point totals

Concerned is fine.  Writing him off like a finished product?  Not so much.

This probably is a good reminder to the "TANK TO WIN" crowd that nothing's a given.  We've adopted that catch phrase like it's a recipe for success but young players can't just be inserted in and expected to win.  It's a journey, not a passport stamp to the final destination.  Lame, but let's keep that in mind every time we put all the eggs in the tank to win basket.  There will be peaks and valleys and an overall assessment takes some time.  Let players develop to see what they "are".  

There is some flash in the pan brilliance that may not translate to overall success.  Depends on the supporting cast (too...see "Oilers").

There are some works in progress that need to learn some more.

There are some who will never find their way to NHL success (Gilbert Brule comes to mind).

And there are some who may pick up things that help them develop into overall solid players and surpass expectations.

We don't know yet....that's what my point is.  So let's not decide based on a limited history.

• Upvote 1