The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

10 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I've no issue with posters critiquing our young players but they should acknowledge  when the youngsters play well too. Virtanen was a stand out player in the first period yesterday but the naysayers were dead silent.

I really have to agree that Virtanen played great in the first period last game. Really hoping he can keep it up and bring it to the Florida game with him tonight.

Also I don't know if you are talking about me but I feel like I have said positive things about Virtanen when he's played well as well as the criticism that I do put on here. 

Edited by suitup

13 hours ago, Toews said:

I find it funny that you have only been here for 6 weeks and you have already blocked 6 people. I have been on here for 6 years and have never felt the need to block anyone. But then again I am not a loose cannon who feels the need to go off on people for daring to disagree with them. 

Stay long enough and the whole forum probably ends up on your block list. All because you can't handle disagreement. You are like Brick Tamland on roid rage.

I can handle disagreement with people who make an intelligent retort that makes me think

What I won't accept is responses from adolescents who come back with an attitude that says "Ihave been told I am special all my life so my view on every canuck is right, I am smarter than Benning, I need to repeat my trashing of Canuck 19 yr old rookies ad nauseum because you know I got lots of ribbons and mommy tells me I am special" / type responses.

You see, when someone says a player sucks, ok fine, that's an opinion - but what is that opinion grounded in? So I retort with facts, numbers, fair arguments, only to get a game of trolling played in response. Well if a troll is a response to a factual retort on the player sucks argument, well I guess we know who won the debate don't we? In fact, there really never was a debate and indeed my assessment of the person above was correct.

So if you want to debate with me go ahead, but understand this, if you are weak minded, you have no logic, nothing to support your argument other than me right me right, expect me to expose that nonsense - consider it real world education and preparation for what will happen in the work force when many of these children get there. Community service if you will. Some of these kids may thank me in the future, because well thought out, structured, logical arguments will make them highly valuable in the work force. Nonsensical thinking (or not thinking) and just wanting to be correct won't get you far in life

You're welcome ;)

Edited by McCannon

49 minutes ago, McCannon said:

I can handle disagreement with people who make an intelligent retort that makes me think

What I won't accept is responses from adolescents who come back with an attitude that says "Ihave been told I am special all my life so my view on every canuck is right, I am smarter than Benning, I need to repeat my trashing of Canuck 19 yr old rookies ad nauseum because you know I got lots of ribbons and mommy tells me I am special" / type responses.

You see, when someone says a player sucks, ok fine, that's an opinion - but what is that opinion grounded in? So I retort with facts, numbers, fair arguments, only to get a game of trolling played in response. Well if a troll is a response to a factual retort on the player sucks argument, well I guess we know who won the debate don't we? In fact, there really never was a debate and indeed my assessment of the person above was correct.

So if you want to debate with me go ahead, but understand this, if you are weak minded, you have no logic, nothing to support your argument other than me right me right, expect me to expose that nonsense - consider it real world education and preparation for what will happen in the work force when many of these children get there. Community service if you will. Some of these kids may thank me in the future, because well thought out, structured, logical arguments will make them highly valuable in the work force. Nonsensical thinking (or not thinking) and just wanting to be correct won't get you far in life

You're welcome ;)

I thought you blocked me?

Someone that is secure with their ability to argue with facts shouldn't feel the need to be condescending or throw around personal insults/attacks. So far the impression you have given me is someone that gets overly emotional and feels the need to go off on people.

If you feel that a poster is trolling then you can report them and let a mod deal with it. It isn't your job to police this thread and doing so only derails discussion. 

All I can say is you need to chill. I have been around long enough to know that I cannot change everyone's mind even if my point of view is the most reasonable and well supported with facts. Carry on insulting people and you run the risk of infractions and an eventual ban.  

Anyway I am done with this discussion. I think both you and I have derailed this thread enough. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Toews said:

I thought you blocked me?

Someone that is secure with their ability to argue with facts shouldn't feel the need to be condescending or throw around personal insults/attacks. So far the impression you have given me is someone that gets overly emotional and feels the need to go off on people.

If you feel that a poster is trolling then you can report them and let a mod deal with it. It isn't your job to police this thread and doing so only derails discussion. 

All I can say is you need to chill. I have been around long enough to know that I cannot change everyone's mind even if my point of view is the most reasonable and well supported with facts. Carry on insulting people and you run the risk of infractions and an eventual ban.  

Anyway I am done with this discussion. I think both you and I have derailed this thread enough. 

And your impression of me matters to whom? Me? No sorry

9 minutes ago, McCannon said:

And your impression of me matters to whom? Me? No sorry

Well, if that's the case, then why should anyone care about what you have to say?

I'm not saying that to troll. I'm saying that because respect is one of those things where, if you want respect, you need to give respect back.

If you want a voice, then you need to give other people a voice in return. If you don't, then why are you on a forum voicing your opinion?

I've had great conversations on this forum with people who have differing opinions. Neither of us attacked each other and everything went fine. I've also been able to have discussions where others have attacked me and I decided not to attack. The result became much more pleasent. Don't get me wrong, I've made mistakes (especially after a couple of drinks), but overall, you can get much farther without attacking others.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, if that's the case, then why should anyone care about what you have to say?

I'm not saying that to troll. I'm saying that because respect is one of those things where, if you want respect, you need to give respect back.

If you want a voice, then you need to give other people a voice in return. If you don't, then why are you on a forum voicing your opinion?

I've had great conversations on this forum with people who have differing opinions. Neither of us attacked each other and everything went fine. I've also been able to have discussions where others have attacked me and I decided not to attack. The result became much more pleasent. Don't get me wrong, I've made mistakes (especially after a couple of drinks), but overall, you can get much farther without attacking others.

Some come to talk hockey.

Others come to state their opinion and call everyone idiots. 

Typically cdc is whatever you make it.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I actually don't care about some anonymous adolescent's impression of me sorry. If you read my prior post, I am here to talk hockey on an INTELLIGENT BASIS. Not with ribbon holding children. If a teenbopper needs to be right let him learn to debate. If he wants to troll, I have no time for that.

I don't come on a board to get some sort of ego stroking friend that was the point about not caring about someone else's view of me.

Now you may be misinterpreting my point - my point is not about being unwilling to hear others well thought out views on players. Indeed, I want to hear 'well thought out views' and when people provide such views look at my responses - but there seems to be a dearth of that here.

Giving others a voice isn't about letting them post nonsense in retort to my points and then having to agree with that nonsense sorry. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but again, if its not based in any facts, and when that person is provided with facts that defeat that view, to then hear well nannee nannee boo boo back, i'm right -well that just doesn't work with me sorry

Sadly, I have seen a number of people on here, need that ego stroking. They NEED to feel like they are right vs being able to say, heck, good point, I see the facts, the stats you're providing, maybe I am looking at this player wrong. Or alternatively, saying well I see your stats your point but you're ignoring this factor, that factor, these stats - THAT  is an intelligent debate and response.

Not the silly semantic debates that come back, the change of subject, the avoidance of the points made, the cherry picking of information....to me that's nonsense and a weak mind simply trying to be 'right' because for some reason (perhaps insecurities) they can't handle accepting, damn I'm wrong about a hockey player. Sadly, for some of these people debate means being right, not about looking at others views and thinking about their points....Debate is not about being right because you know what, most of what we debate on here can't be known to be right or wrong for many many years....so why are people so hell bent on being right? Fragile ego's that's why.

You know how you can tell those people apart? read their responses - they do exactly what I said above and never respond with an argument that's reasoned with FACTS...its always baseless opinion from watching on TV and a result of some bias of just 'hating a guy' for sake of hating him, or liking some other player that we 'should have drafted' not on actual facts and statistics and REALITY AND OBJECTIVITY.

Indeed these posters think that we should all accept that they know more than Benning/TL/Hockey Canada, NHL coaches and scouts - yes indeed....sorry but that's not how I work or other rational people work for that matter..

Edited by McCannon

1 minute ago, NEON.KNEE said:

I WOULD LOVE TO SE ETEM PLAY WITH THE SEDINS.

Jake had a great game Sat, and another effort like that is what he and this team need.  I thought he paired nicely with Cracknell.

Let's let him get his feet wet before we throw him in the middle of shark infested waters...

I just hope Virtanen and Etem have a fun game of one upping eachother ::D

Edited by J.R.

Just now, J.R. said:

Let's let him get his feet wet before we throw him in the middle of shark infested waters...

I'm pretty sure he can swim.  opportunity is an amazing thing, especially to someone who has never gotten it.  I really don't see a negative to trying him on the top line while Hansen is hurt.

We've lost lots of games this season, what's the worst that could happen?  We get a scoring winger?

31 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm also excited to see them play together!

I would Have preferred to see

Etem McCann Virtanen

Prust Vey Dorsett

It makes we wonder, all this preferential Ice Vey is getting, are the Nucks quietly trying to boost his trade value?

8 minutes ago, McCannon said:

Etem McCann Virtanen

Prust Vey Dorsett

It makes we wonder, all this preferential Ice Vey is getting, are the Nucks quietly trying to boost his trade value?

Pretty sure it's nothing more than the familiarity Etem already has with Vey. Make the new guy as comfortable as possible and hope they can reignite their chemistry.

Hardly strikes me as a magical red carpet for Vey...

11 minutes ago, McCannon said:

Etem McCann Virtanen

Prust Vey Dorsett

Hope so,  Shink would look interesting inbetween Etem and Virt given the connection to Shink

Edited by SilentSam