The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Gotta give credit where credit's due, that was a huge goal for Virtanen. I don't think he fit well with the Sedins at all but maybe we can pair him with Horvat and Baertschi for a bit and see if they gain some chemistry. 

I'd rather him score that one big game tying goal than have a good showing at the WJC, but he's got to keep this trend going. Can't just have a one-and-out again.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah you definitely can't make that move unless you have a high hockey IQ?  Stop blowing it out of proportion.

Jake good 2 games in a row and finally some production.  It looks like he has been reading my posts

Sure you can make the move I guess. I'm trying to say that he pulled away from the defenders under pressure. You don't do that unless you have some hockey IQ.

Never thought I'd be arguing this topic <_<

Furthermore, I never stated he had "high hockey IQ". I'm simply pointing this out because every time I visit the "Jake Virtanen Talk thread", I shake my head at all the posters ripping on this kid for any damn mistake he makes. Concluding he has no hockey IQ, future fourth liner, blah blah. I'm sick of it. He's 19.

And no I haven't read any of your posts. I mean, I probably have. But nothing memorable. If you're referencing to something specific, please post it and we'll discuss.

45 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Gotta give credit where credit's due, that was a huge goal for Virtanen. I don't think he fit well with the Sedins at all but maybe we can pair him with Horvat and Baertschi for a bit and see if they gain some chemistry. 

I'd rather him score that one big game tying goal than have a good showing at the WJC, but he's got to keep this trend going. Can't just have a one-and-out again.

At least you're actually giving credit +1

48 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He played really well last game as well, so that's two in a row. :o. You might want to change your "one and out" comment?

He's been playing well for the past two games (technically only the first period of the last game but I'll still give it to him). Only thing that's left is for him is to be consistent. I hope that he proves me wrong but he's still not out of the clear.

50 minutes ago, guntrix said:

He's been playing well for the past two games (technically only the first period of the last game but I'll still give it to him). Only thing that's left is for him is to be consistent. I hope that he proves me wrong but he's still not out of the clear.

let's just be happy that he's been having  better game the last two games. now I think it's about producing and being involved in every game he's playing in. let's see where he continues to go in the next few games. especially during this upcoming road trip. 

56 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I'm sure he's relieved that you think he had a good game.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He played really well last game as well, so that's two in a row. :o. You might want to change your "one and out" comment?

He may have a good game the last two games, but I think management will still continue with their "plan" for him moving forward. He's getting more experience every game he's playing, which is good for him, and his game. 

2 hours ago, Tystick said:

Sure you can make the move I guess. I'm trying to say that he pulled away from the defenders under pressure. You don't do that unless you have some hockey IQ.

Never thought I'd be arguing this topic <_<

Furthermore, I never stated he had "high hockey IQ". I'm simply pointing this out because every time I visit the "Jake Virtanen Talk thread", I shake my head at all the posters ripping on this kid for any damn mistake he makes. Concluding he has no hockey IQ, future fourth liner, blah blah. I'm sick of it. He's 19.

And no I haven't read any of your posts. I mean, I probably have. But nothing memorable. If you're referencing to something specific, please post it and we'll discuss.

it's not like jake doesn't have any hockey IQ at all. LOL. he scored 45 goals with Calgary in the WHL, because he's got some great hands, but also some decent hockey IQ. that alone is going to help him with his NHL career. if he can continue to grow with regards to his hockey IQ (debatable among some posters here whether that can be grown or not) - he can either be a good NHLer, to a great NHLer. 

For now, though. I was ecstatic when he scored the game tying goal. SO happy for him. Hope he keeps it up next game, and continues to build. 

The biggest thing I have noticed about JV is that he is continually moving his feet and handling the puck more....the previous games I just felt he was too cautious in the offensive zone....backing out too quickly as not to get caught and I think that might have looked like he has low hockey IQ. I think after WJC he has decided to just play his game...i.e. Handle puck, make moves & plays in the O-zone and try to hit open areas then skate back hard for D.....I just hope he continues this trend and puts together solid 2nd half of the season. 

3 minutes ago, thaji said:

The biggest thing I have noticed about JV is that he is continually moving his feet and handling the puck more....the previous games I just felt he was too cautious in the offensive zone....backing out too quickly as not to get caught and I think that might have looked like he has low hockey IQ. I think after WJC he has decided to just play his game...i.e. Handle puck, make moves & plays in the O-zone and try to hit open areas then skate back hard for D.....I just hope he continues this trend and puts together solid 2nd half of the season. 

me too. i hope so as well. hoping that his confidence just continues to grow leaps and bounds. 

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah you definitely can't make that move unless you have a high hockey IQ?  Stop blowing it out of proportion.

Jake good 2 games in a row and finally some production.  It looks like he has been reading my posts

Yeah I think Jake should be cutting you in on his fat rookie contract..

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

For you this is like calling Jake a future hall of famer. 

32 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

For you this is like calling Jake a future hall of famer. 

When the skeptics don't say anything we're "just staying quiet" because we're haters.

When the skeptics commend him, you start with the exaggerations. 

lose-lose.

• Upvote 1

Really hope they keep him together with Bo and Baer, although Etem put in a bid last night.  That goal last night was fantastic, and Baer and Bo already look like a pair.  Little tap from Baer from the face-off dot and Virtanen did the rest.  If all he needs is confidence, that Bo Baer line is where he can get it.  Otherwise what do you have Burrows, Sutter and Virtanen as a 2d or 3d quasi checking line?  Who is going to pass to Virtanen on that line?  

Great watching him with the big club, so glad he is not going back to juniors.  

• Upvote 1