The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

i see his as a Dustin Brown type player when Brown was a 30 goal scorer, fast and would hit like a truck. Jake being much faster than Brown ever was. i think he just needs time to learn that what worked in junior isnt going to work in the nhl. he will come around and start scoring. also should be put on the LW. he would score many more goals that way

18 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

i see his as a Dustin Brown type player when Brown was a 30 goal scorer, fast and would hit like a truck. Jake being much faster than Brown ever was. i think he just needs time to learn that what worked in junior isnt going to work in the nhl. he will come around and start scoring. also should be put on the LW. he would score many more goals that way

Excellent comparison tbh.

Gonna go off the board here and say that Vancouver-based players are more akin to American players. We don't have backyard-rinks... the pedagogy of the sport is not about history or tradition (Canucks are more like a corporation than a historic franchise), it's just to do whatever you can to stand out. Jake has learned how to stand out from an early age. 

However, Dustin Brown may not be a high IQ player, but has a keen sense of timing. He goes after key players with big hits at the right time, knows when to backcheck and when to go to the net, and is privy to the fact that the refs are always watching him through a microscope. Jake's missteps at the WJC show that he hasn't figured that element out quite yet. I don't think he'll be a "leader" like Brown, but we don't need him to be, we have Bo Horvat.

Otherwise, hell yeah. I see Jake as Dustin Brown for sure, but with a Jeff Carter type release. 
He's a deadly hybrid of players. As has been stated, if he were a better playmaker with higher hockey IQ, we'd be talking about Eric Lindros-lite. But a slightly more dynamic Dustin Brown is a very welcome addition to our roster, and methinks he'll be here a long time.

meh is what he is. The guy needs to work on his hockey iq big time. Had a 3 on 2 and ended up doing a weak wrap around. He needs to figure it out, he is young yes but he does need to figure it out. Don't be a passer be a straight up shooter. Average 3-4 shots on goal and drive to the net as he has the tools to become this,instead he tries being a playmaker and ends up making laser passes  plays or weak plays eg trying a wrap around on a 3 on 2 lol really?. The guy has the tools to only be a Chris Krieder nothing more, so yeah hopefully he works out. Management should tell him in order to be successful play your game, drive to the net be selfish and shoot the puck, average 3 to 4 shots a game.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

Getting 3 on 2 opportunities is part of the learning curve, he has less time to make a decision and it's against well positioned defenders. That just takes experience, it wasn't a bad choice as much as it wasn't the skill play. Getting the puck to the net is the key in the NHL, we see it every game, bodies and pucks to the net usually means goals eventually

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 3:48 PM, Sandro17 said:

Well because the thread is so quiet heres my honest opinion on Jake.

His intensity and tenacity is terrific. Holy hell the way this kid hits is insane. His speed and power are grerat. His shot is amazing and he has tremendous upside. Had his passing skills and hockey IQ been better he should have been taken first overall in the draft. He has the potential to be the future face of the franchise

The problem:

He's being rushed. When a player needs to develop hockey senses and a few finer skills in the game, you send that player down to your farm team. He'd probably rip the AHL up once he finds his groove. Unfortunately, I just don't think he's being handled properly. Him being in the NHL right now seems to force him into playing his one dimensional game repeatedly in order to be successful short term.This asks him not to develop the finer areas of the game including hockey IQ. Considering this, I don't see Jake reaching his maximum potential.

Therefore I project JV to become of a fringe first liner and not the franchise forward that we hope for. I hope that I'm wrong though. There are two ways this situation is playing out. Either Benning really sees something in this kid and he believes that he'd progress more in the NHL than in the AHL which is contrary to what we believe or JB wants to keep his job and is under pressure from Aquillini to get wins which is what everyone believes. Although all this is just speculation.

If anything, I hope JB is doing the right thing, he's an experienced scout and looks at the game and player progression differently than us hockey fans do.

JV playing in the NHL forces him to be (A) responsible (B) stand up to players who are as big as he is. 

Honestly, I question those who preach the value of a young player (19) given the opportunity to dominate over younger, smaller players (15-16-17).  Why not just face the reality of the type of player he'll have to face for the rest of his career.  Isn't it better to play against difficult competition rather than dominate over some easy meat.

If JV has the character that he was drafted for, he'll figure it out.  Otherwise, maybe it was never meant to be.

I'm not seeing a guy who is dominating but I'm also not seeing a shrinking violet.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

JV playing in the NHL forces him to be (A) responsible (B) stand up to players who are as big as he is. 

Honestly, I question those who preach the value of a young player (19) given the opportunity to dominate over younger, smaller players (15-16-17).  Why not just face the reality of the type of player he'll have to face for the rest of his career.  Isn't it better to play against difficult competition rather than dominate over some easy meat.

If JV has the character that he was drafted for, he'll figure it out.  Otherwise, maybe it was never meant to be.

I'm not seeing a guy who is dominating but I'm also not seeing a shrinking violet.

An elementary student in an engineering class, 

Why not go straight to engineering and skip highschool. Engineering will be the reality of life anyways.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cowardrobertford said:

Why not go straight to engineering and skip highschool. Engineering will be the reality of life anyways.

This makes sense because?  JV is a future star power forward.  He has the entire package.  We are blessed to have him.  It's like he's so talented he was born with a natural understanding for engineering, and only needed a brief stint studying its basics.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This makes sense because?  JV is a future star power forward.  He has the entire package.  We are blessed to have him.  It's like he's so talented he was born with a natural understanding for engineering, and only needed a brief stint studying its basics.  

Metaphors my men, putting things into a different perspective, it's what my teacher does when I'm not bright enough to understand complicated things

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Ha ha, fair criticism.  I agree with you.  

This thing with Jake and Jarred playing NHL at 19 takes me 2 ways.  In one respect, don't give a guy responsibility before he's ready for it.  But if you show him the black diamond run and then say, no you're not ready, let's go back the bunny hill?  It's like a kick in the stomach isn't it? 

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

This thing with Jake and Jarred playing NHL at 19 takes me 2 ways.  In one respect, don't give a guy responsibility before he's ready for it.  But if you show him the black diamond run and then say, no you're not ready, let's go back the bunny hill?  It's like a kick in the stomach isn't it? 

I think some seasoning may not be a bad thing for Jake. if he comes into camp next season right where he is currently. then yeah. maybe he needs to get some more time developing and playing in the AHL. I don't think that would be a bad thing and Green would help him develop both sides of his game. the offensive and defensive side of the puck. that only bodes well for Jake. the only reason he's with the NHL club this season is because I don't think Benning thinks being in junior would help Jake with his game. I'm not convinced that Jake hits his maximum potential. but if he hits 55-60 points a season and 20 m-25 goals. I think that's a win. if he ever hits 30 goals. we got ourselves a gem! we can only hope right. 

his hockey IQ seems to be the thing in question by many "experts". I guess we will see what kind of player he will develop into. I feel for him sometimes. he carries a huge weight on him especially being a local kid. being selected sixth overall doesn't help either. 

7 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Yeah, I see the human part. But Virtanen might actually be surprised he's still in the NHL after that ironic tourney

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Absolutely. IMO anyone who thinks that Jake's game will develop better by spending more time bullying kids who are younger, smaller, weaker and less skilled than he is, embedding into his muscle memory moves that only work against children, has apparently never played any games, let alone any physical sports. 

And comparing hockey to engineering is ludicrous. When I studied engineering, there were thousands of hours of book learning and no physical component at all. And once you started, if it was difficult for you, going back to elementary school was't going to help you.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think some seasoning may not be a bad thing for Jake. if he comes into camp next season right where he is currently. then yeah. maybe he needs to get some more time developing and playing in the AHL. I don't think that would be a bad thing and Green would help him develop both sides of his game. the offensive and defensive side of the puck. that only bodes well for Jake. the only reason he's with the NHL club this season is because I don't think Benning thinks being in junior would help Jake with his game. I'm not convinced that Jake hits his maximum potential. but if he hits 55-60 points a season and 20 m-25 goals. I think that's a win. if he ever hits 30 goals. we got ourselves a gem! we can only hope right. 

his hockey IQ seems to be the thing in question by many "experts". I guess we will see what kind of player he will develop into. I feel for him sometimes. he carries a huge weight on him especially being a local kid. being selected sixth overall doesn't help either. 

He's not going get seasoning in Jr.  He's going to get bored and lazy 

• Upvote 1