The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Wouldn't Drouin fall under the McSofty category?  Isn't JV a much more valuable piece than a bust like Jonathan Drouin? 

:lol: I know Drouin looks like a softy, both on the ice and character off the ice too.  However I look at him telling TBay to stick it as a positive.  He believes in himself and will stand up for himself, even under negative scrutiny.  Yes he's small, and offers nothing if not generating offence, but his skill is elite.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

:lol: I know Drouin looks like a softy, both on the ice and character off the ice too.  However I look at him telling TBay to stick it as a positive.  He believes in himself and will stand up for himself, even under negative scrutiny.  Yes he's small, and offers nothing if not generating offence, but his skill is elite.

Having a healthy ego and a degree of confidence is admirable. Believing that your personal, immediate needs are above that of an organization\authority figure\parent is a sign of immaturity and selfishness. We don't need this type of young man.

Just now, zimmy said:

Having a healthy ego and a degree of confidence is admirable. Believing that your personal, immediate needs are above that of an organization\authority figure\parent is a sign of immaturity and selfishness. We don't need this type of young man.

ELITE SKILL, trumps off ice troubles - see P. Kane.  Plus, this kid was recovering from a concussion before.  Look how long it's taken Daniel to play on top of his game since his concussion.  This kid could just be feeling right again, and could be a SUPER STEAL.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

ELITE SKILL, trumps off ice troubles - see P. Kane.  Plus, this kid was recovering from a concussion before.  Look how long it's taken Daniel to play on top of his game since his concussion.  This kid could just be feeling right again, and could be a SUPER STEAL.

Yes Yes Yes  but P Kane, from all I have heard, is a great soldier and buys into the Chicago way of doing things. His woes are all off ice. I don't know if Drouin has off ice issues. To me this is all "on" ice with him as his seeingly massive ego has him at odds with coaches and management when, at his age, he shouldn't even have an ego. I'm thinking alot of "yes sirs" and  "no sirs" and a dose of genuine humility would serve him well. Regardless of how highly this kid thinks of himself this was not the way to go about getting what he wanted (and his agent has to shoulder some of the blame as well).  

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Joel Heyman said:

Twinkletoes needs to start laying the body more. He's trailed off recently

I think he's trying to play an offensive role, which, as cliche as this is right now, he needs to stick with playing his game

12 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

dude gets an upward chop on the hand no call. 

love you NHL refs.  just love you guys to death. 

Yeah that offciating last night... <_<

On a good note, Virt played quite well again I thought. Some good hits, used his speed, played well defensively, had that almost-goal and helped create a few other chances.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Virtenen has played well in every game since the WJC. He does not play a game where you do not get drawn to his play. With some experience this kid will be a rock for Vancouver.

he will have to keep his head up as he gets the rep for what he,s doing out there ,but not near as suicidle as hall in his 1 yr.

On January 21, 2016 at 1:18 AM, zimmy said:

Yes Yes Yes  but P Kane, from all I have heard, is a great soldier and buys into the Chicago way of doing things. His woes are all off ice. I don't know if Drouin has off ice issues. To me this is all "on" ice with him as his seeingly massive ego has him at odds with coaches and management when, at his age, he shouldn't even have an ego. I'm thinking alot of "yes sirs" and  "no sirs" and a dose of genuine humility would serve him well. Regardless of how highly this kid thinks of himself this was not the way to go about getting what he wanted (and his agent has to shoulder some of the blame as well).  

Dude, you sound idiotic. Sorry, but your mentality is pathetic. For one, you have no idea what's happened and your opinion is based purely on speculation. Many said similar things about Baer before he got here, and now he's scoring consistently for us.

How do you know it isn't a similar situation? Maybe it has more to do with personalities than it does the kid's "ego", which, despite your denouncement of, is an extremely valuable part of any performance.

It's possible he's a bust, yeah. I don't really even know much about him aside from the odd highlight package and starlings, but I do know the Canucks don't have the assets to pull off a high caliber trade like this and remain well stocked, prospects-wise. 

I think you should consider more than your own beliefs about "humility" and whatever else you believe in before you start criticizing other humans and making accusations about them. See, I'm legitimized by having read what you've written. You're not because you have no clue.

29 minutes ago, NameFaker said:

Dude, you sound idiotic. Sorry, but your mentality is pathetic. For one, you have no idea what's happened and your opinion is based purely on speculation. Many said similar things about Baer before he got here, and now he's scoring consistently for us.

How do you know it isn't a similar situation? Maybe it has more to do with personalities than it does the kid's "ego", which, despite your denouncement of, is an extremely valuable part of any performance.

It's possible he's a bust, yeah. I don't really even know much about him aside from the odd highlight package and starlings, but I do know the Canucks don't have the assets to pull off a high caliber trade like this and remain well stocked, prospects-wise.

I think you should consider more than your own beliefs about "humility" and whatever else you believe in before you start criticizing other humans and making accusations about them. See, I'm legitimized by having read what you've written. You're not because you have no clue.

Its great how you are able to pass judgenment so effectively about who I am and what I beleive with so little to go on. It's a skill I haven't learned yet but this is a good lesson. Thanks for your opinions, by the way, about young Mr. Drouin. I'm not offended by them in any way but I'm confussed as to why I'm not allowed to speculate and make a judgement, albeit passing, about what I observe?

We don't agree on this subject. It would be nice if it could be left at that and save the vitriolic tone for somethig that really matters.  

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Roflcawptur said:

He was the second star in that game too!

This is just B-Town's way of layng out the welcome mat for when Virt hits free agency!! Truth is that he hasn't been around long enough for Bruins, their fans and broadcasters to develop any hate for him.  I'd give anything to watch Jake charge around  the old Boston Garden though. It seemed like those Bruin teams of the 70's and 80's (90's, 2000's etc) could run us out of the rink at will or at least spend every game trying to do so and our Canucks often did not have an answer.

4 minutes ago, zimmy said:

This is just B-Town's way of layng out the welcome mat for when Virt hits free agency!! Truth is that he hasn't been around long enough for Bruins, their fans and broadcasters to develop any hate for him.  I'd give anything to watch Jake charge around  the old Boston Garden though. It seemed like those Bruin teams of the 70's and 80's (90's, 2000's etc) could run us out of the rink at will or at least spend every game trying to do so and our Canucks often did not have an answer.

Yup, JV is a Bruin type player for sure.  

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic