The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

16 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

That's what annoys me. People come in here freaking out for 5000 pages saying he's a bust at 6th overall when it's way too early to say. Just being 19 in the NHL and making progress should be enough right now. Having said that I wished he scored that breakaway, would have been just a beauty goal.

The same situation now exists that after a few good games Virtanen is now being over pumped. He is 19 playing in the NHL and fans should take a breath.

Boston fans are licking their lips as they see a potential Cam Neely repeat. Can't you just hear the phone call to Benning.    

15 hours ago, Aleksander Barkov said:

Agree with this completely! It bugs the shh out of me when I hear this kind of nonsense from Canucks fans and especially the Canucks media, what a joke. A lot of blind Canucks fans, but it is what it is. Jake Virtanen has a bright future with the Vancouver Canucks organization. I for one am happy to him have on this team and I would not trade him for Nylander or Ehlers(laughs) or whoever else our blind fans compare him too.

Jim Benning has a master plan and Jake is going to be a big piece of said plan. If you're reading this Jake keep your head up man the real fans love you and you're an amazing player with a unique skill set as my man JB would say! Really look forward to seeing Jake come into his own whether that's in the 2nd half of this season, next season or hell even the year after that. I believe he will step it up in the 2nd half, long as Willie D trusts him, which I am sure he will do.

I get that you rate Virtanen but you can't scoff/ laugh at "blind" fans when they compare him to Nylander or Ehlers.

One of them has 32 points in 37 games in the AHL and the other has 18 points so far in the NHL.

What's your justification for calling these fans blind? Homerism.

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

I get that you rate Virtanen but you can't scoff/ laugh at "blind" fans when they compare him to Nylander or Ehlers.

One of them has 32 points in 37 games in the AHL and the other has 18 points so far in the NHL.

What's your justification for calling these fans blind? Homerism.

If you can't see what we have in Jake then there's nothing left to say. He has shown flashes of the player he will become. Look up his highlights man. Ahl production does not always translate to the Nhl and 18 points as a top 6 guy in the Nhl is nothing to brag about. Jake has not had enough ice time to succeed yet

18 minutes ago, Aleksander Barkov said:

If you can't see what we have in Jake then there's nothing left to say. He has shown flashes of the player he will become. Look up his highlights man. Ahl production does not always translate to the Nhl and 18 points as a top 6 guy in the Nhl is nothing to brag about. Jake has not had enough ice time to succeed yet

15 hours ago, Aleksander Barkov said:

Agree with this completely! It bugs the shh out of me when I hear this kind of nonsense from Canucks fans and especially the Canucks media, what a joke. A lot of blind Canucks fans, but it is what it is. Jake Virtanen has a bright future with the Vancouver Canucks organization. I for one am happy to him have on this team and I would not trade him for Nylander or Ehlers(laughs) or whoever else our blind fans compare him TOO.

Jim Benning has a master plan and Jake is going to be a big piece of said plan. If you're reading this Jake keep your head up man the real fans love you and you're an amazing player with a unique skill set as my man JB would say! Really look forward to seeing Jake come into his own whether that's in the 2nd half of this season, next season or hell even the year after that. I believe he will step it up in the 2nd half, long as Willie D trusts him, which I am sure he will do.

First of all it's to.

Secondly, as I said, I get that you rate Jake but the comparison is nothing to *laugh* at when the other is doing better.

Calling the other blind when the comparison is valid only makes you look like a homer.

Just now, guntrix said:

First of all it's to.

Secondly, as I said, I get that you rate Jake but the comparison is nothing to *laugh* at when the other is doing better.

Calling the other blind when the comparison is valid only makes you look like a homer.

Nice grammar police find bud you really got me there. It was a typo 

No homering in my opinion Ehlers is barely a top 6 guy in the Nhl and Nylander is a small skilled player that just got ran over in the WJC and had a concussion. Lol and you ask why i laugh at the comparison? Cmon man open ur eyes

25 minutes ago, guntrix said:

First of all it's to.

Homer!  It's the CANUCKS board.  Go back to the Jets and Leafs boards and spew your drivel there.  JV is clearly the more impactful player of the three.  How does your Favorite song go?   La la la la la la la la/ la la la la la la la la.  Oh, don't forget your blue hat on the way out.:P

25 minutes ago, guntrix said:

First of all it's to.

18 minutes ago, Aleksander Barkov said:

Nice grammar police find bud you really got me there. It was a typo 

No homering in my opinion Ehlers is barely a top 6 guy in the Nhl and Nylander is a small skilled player that just got ran over in the WJC and had a concussion. Lol and you ask why i laugh at the comparison? Cmon man open ur eyes

We all hope Jake becomes an excellent player. But, as guntrix points out, on the basis of measurable performance so far, both Nylander and Ehlers are significantly ahead of Jake at this stage. Nylander is having a fantastic year in the AHL and Ehlers is holding his own in the NHL so far with 18 pts in 47 games while Jake has  while Jake has 5 pts in 25 games. With those numbers at age 19 it is very likely that Ehlers will be a good top 6 forward, while Jake is on a trajectory that looks more like bottom 6. 

So Barkov might love Jake's game, but I am sure that most GMs around the league would take either Nylander or Ehlers ahead of Jake right now.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Just now, JamesB said:

We all hope Jake becomes an excellent player. But, as guntrix points out, on the basis of measurable performance so far, both Nylander and Ehlers are significantly ahead of Jake at this stage. Nylander is having a fantastic year in the AHL and Ehlers is holding his own in the NHL so far with 18 pts in 47 games while Jake has  while Jake has 5 pts in 25 games. With those numbers at age 19 it is very likely that Ehlers will be a good top 6 forward, while Jake is on a trajectory that looks more like bottom 6. 

So Barkov might love Jake's game, but I am sure that most GMs around the league would take either Nylander or Ehlers ahead of Jake right now.

Conveniently overlooked Ehlers' one point in something like 20 games, then Sam Bennett's recent surge after a slow start.  Projecting the first half of their first pro season as any sort of marker of the better pick let alone better long-term player is speculative and short-sighted at best, and purely prejudicial and wishful thinking at worst.  I know we all like to micro-analyze, but comparing 40 games of 19-year-old rookies as determining their future is a bit silly.  By that standard Baertschi, Etem, and Vey should have been flipping burgers for 3 years now.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

No they wouldn't!  The NHL is not some video game, based on post production.  Vey ate up the AHL, and Ehlers is a soft perimiter player, who gets cherry time with top players, and PP..  The Jets are getting exposed for playing a softy like Ehlers, and falling in the standings because of it.  

JV has a ceiling far and away higher than those other two, because JV will affect games with several aspects of his game, while the other two just can't EVER do that.  

Yes, you caught a fish.:P. No go and cast your line in a different pond.

Justin Abdelkader had 6 points in 50 games his first year in Detroit. I don't think anyone would question his status as a top 6 now. 

Gus Nyqvist had 6 points in 22 games in his first year in Detroit. I don't think anyone would question his status as a top 6 now. 

Wings brought those guys along slowly. The Canucks are doing the same. Not to mention that those guys broke into the league a couple years older than JV is now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aleksander Barkov said:

This team doesn't need anymore small injury risk forwards we need guys like Jake Virtanen 

So Nylander is "injury risk" because of one incident? Are we ignoring that he hadn't suffered any injury before this for the past two years? Virtanen himself has shoulder surgery and was out for a long time. After that he got injured again around this time last year and had to miss a few games. Does that mean Virtanen is injury risk too?

Edited by Toews
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

So Nylander is "injury risk" because of one incident? Are we ignoring that he hadn't suffered any injury before this for the past two years? Virtanen himself has shoulder surgery and was out for a long time. After that he got injured again around this time last year and had to miss a few games. Does that mean Virtanen is injury risk too?

Can we just stop with the JV bashing and Nylander/ Ehlers love affair on OUR CANUCKS site?

we have JV, who provides a fast physical game.  The other two are small players who help their teams in a different way.  They are more like Vey and Baer, which is just fine.  It takes all types to make a good team.  JB clearly believed we already have young guys to provide what Nylander and Ehlers do in Vey and the second for Baer.  He knew we needed what JV provides more than the other stuff that Vey and Baer already give us, so JB drafted JV.

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can we just stop with the JV bashing and Nylander/ Ehlers love affair on OUR CANUCKS site?

we have JV, who provides a fast physical game.  The other two are small players who help their teams in a different way.  They are more like Vey and Baer, which is just fine.  It takes all types to make a good team.  JB clearly believed we already have young guys to provide what Nylander and Ehlers do in Vey and the second for Baer.  He knew we needed what JV provides more than the other stuff that Vey and Baer already give us, so JB drafted JV.

Not a love affair.. not our fault JV bandwagoners avoid a debate like the plague. 

The guy said that Nylander was an injury risk although he's only suffered one major injury. If we want to apply the same parameters to everyone then Virtanen is an injury risk too.

As of TODAY, a debate between Virtanen and his closest draftees is warranted, especially when the other two have done better so far professionally. Thinking that Virtanen will become an elite power forward and that the other two will round off as perimeter players is PURE speculation and has absolutely no bearing on today's discussion.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Where did I bash JV? 

3 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Not a love affair.. not our fault JV bandwagoners avoid a debate like the plague. 

The guy said that Nylander was an injury risk although he's only suffered one major injury. If we want to apply the same parameters to everyone then Virtanen is an injury risk too.

As of TODAY, a debate between Virtanen and his closest draftees is warranted, especially when the other two have done better so far professionally. Thinking that Virtanen will become an elite power forward and that the other two will round off as perimeter players is PURE speculation and has absolutely no bearing on today's discussion.

Why the need for that debate on a Canuck's board?  The other two you mention are completely different types of players than JV.  If you want to compare young players on the Canucks with Nylander and Ehlers you should use Vey and Baer.  Vey dominated the AHL, and is still only a fringe NHLer, and Baer had a hot NHL debut then cooled off, and his future is still up in the air.  Those are two close comparables.