The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Yup and even without factoring in the quality of players they're playing with, special team times, zone starts. Not to mention the intangibles that Bo brings, just like Jake does with his physicality. Development's a crazy thing, basing how these players are going to end up off their rookie years ppg is hilarious though. So keep trying to prove you're smarter JamesB or guntrix, stroke those egos

A lot of people on CDC have MAJOR issues of factoring in context. You can see it in their evaluations of players from the Sedins or Edler to guys like Vey, Baer or Virtanen.

Same with guys on the farm. Shinkaruk was a bust just last year for instance :rolleyes:

Context people, context. 

• Upvote 1

Way more optimistic about Jake's development than I was a couple of months ago, even post WJC.  He's learned a lot about how to play the NHL game defensively and positionally in a short time, and is a force not only physically but in gaining the attacking zone.  In short, he's starting to take charge and put his tools to work.  The scoring chances are definitely increasing as he figures all this out.  Our development system is looking really strong these days. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Way more optimistic about Jake's development than I was a couple of months ago, even post WJC.  He's learned a lot about how to play the NHL game defensively and positionally in a short time, and is a force not only physically but in gaining the attacking zone.  In short, he's starting to take charge and put his tools to work.  The scoring chances are definitely increasing as he figures all this out.  Our development system is looking really strong these days. 

It's funny I thought he would struggle coming back as his confidence might be low due to the tournament he had. I think the public shellacking that he took might have been just the motivation he needed. 

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It is looking very strong for sure.

I've said this before, people just need to be patient with the guy. It's hilarious how quick some people write him off (or any prospect we have) based on any mistake he makes.

He has progressed well this year, and we should all be ECSTATIC about that. You mentioned he's improved his defensive game since the WJC. I'd venture he's been great defensively all year, but is now beginning to take more chances to score.

His speed is so deceptive, and his physical play is like that of an NHL veteran. I really don't understand why people bitch about this guy, he's going to be an absolute beauty. He's developing in the perfect environment, he has ALL the tools, and he's only NINETEEN. He has more than enough time to put it all together. 

Doubters, give him 2-3 years and you'll all be very surprised with how far he's progressed.

Edited by Tystick
Error
  • Upvote 2

On January 22, 2016 at 7:26 PM, zimmy said:

Its great how you are able to pass judgenment so effectively about who I am and what I beleive with so little to go on. It's a skill I haven't learned yet but this is a good lesson. Thanks for your opinions, by the way, about young Mr. Drouin. I'm not offended by them in any way but I'm confussed as to why I'm not allowed to speculate and make a judgement, albeit passing, about what I observe?

We don't agree on this subject. It would be nice if it could be left at that and save the vitriolic tone for somethig that really matters.  

Actually, I wrote about what you wrote, not about you. Made that clear, too. Don't act indignant, don't try to spin this on me because I called you out. 

Your opinion was based on crap reasoning. I call crap out when I see it. You can speculate, but expect your opinion to be tested.

55 minutes ago, NameFaker said:

Actually, I wrote about what you wrote, not about you. Made that clear, too. Don't act indignant, don't try to spin this on me because I called you out. 

Your opinion was based on crap reasoning. I call crap out when I see it. You can speculate, but expect your opinion to be tested.

totally expect to be tested. Being bludgeoned at the same time is a different thing. Again, let's agree to disagree and maybe revisit this issue when unfolds a little bit. Who knows, we might both be proven wrong!

3 hours ago, Toews said:

It's funny I thought he would struggle coming back as his confidence might be low due to the tournament he had. I think the public shellacking that he took might have been just the motivation he needed. 

Agreed:  it's like he turned the page on junior at that moment and has been playing a recognizably NHL game ever since.  I really like the way he took responsibility for what happened and moved on.  Character guy.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Tystick said:

It is looking very strong for sure.

I've said this before, people just need to be patient with the guy. It's hilarious how quick some people write him off (or any prospect we have) based on any mistake he makes.

He has progressed well this year, and we should all be ECSTATIC about that. You mentioned he's improved his defensive game since the WJC. I'd venture he's been great defensively all year, but is now beginning to take more chances to score.

His speed is so deceptive, and his physical play is like that of an NHL veteran. I really don't understand why people bitch about this guy, he's going to be an absolute beauty. He's developing in the perfect environment, he has ALL the tools, and he's only NINETEEN. He has more than enough time to put it all together. 

Doubters, give him 2-3 years and you'll all be very surprised with how far he's progressed.

I was a doubter myself until recently but the impressive thing for me is how he's learned to read the game and make good decisions with and without the puck.  Kinda blows that "low hockey IQ" narrative from a year or so ago out of the water.  Clearly he's plenty smart enough but is also getting good coaching and the right kind of experience.

19 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I was a doubter myself until recently but the impressive thing for me is how he's learned to read the game and make good decisions with and without the puck.  Kinda blows that "low hockey IQ" narrative from a year or so ago out of the water.  Clearly he's plenty smart enough but is also getting good coaching and the right kind of experience.

Maybe learning up here is best for JV?  He gets the coaching, and he gets help from his experienced teammates.  I think the bigger concern will be we are going to have several guys coming out of their ELCs at very young ages, which might show as them not playing up to their pay - like the Oilers with all their six million dollar boys, who don't play to their pay.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe learning up here is best for JV?  He gets the coaching, and he gets help from his experienced teammates.  I think the bigger concern will be we are going to have several guys coming out of their ELCs at very young ages, which might show as them not playing up to their pay - like the Oilers with all their six million dollar boys, who don't play to their pay.  

I doubt they'll be putting up the numbers to get 6 million dollar deals, but Benning has been willing to pay for perceived potential in some contracts, so your concern could be valid.  If they do all outperform, that's a good problem to have and we can deal one or two if necessary. 

57 minutes ago, zimmy said:

totally expect to be tested. Being bludgeoned at the same time is a different thing. Again, let's agree to disagree and maybe revisit this issue when unfolds a little bit. Who knows, we might both be proven wrong!

Alright, I was slightly disrespectful. I'll keep myself in check from now on. 

3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I doubt they'll be putting up the numbers to get 6 million dollar deals, but Benning has been willing to pay for perceived potential in some contracts, so your concern could be valid.  If they do all outperform, that's a good problem to have and we can deal one or two if necessary. 

I like your thoughts of dealing, rather than handing out huge dollars, and term, to really young guys.  

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

A lot of people on CDC have MAJOR issues of factoring in context. You can see it in their evaluations of players from the Sedins or Edler to guys like Vey, Baer or Virtanen.

Same with guys on the farm. Shinkaruk was a bust just last year for instance :rolleyes:

Context people, context. 

LOL agree and it's so funny::D

6 hours ago, NameFaker said:

This guy means business. Lol

Sounds like Jakes converting some of the doubters. He has always had the tools but you can see he's starting to grasp the positioning as well. Now you can see why they never sent him down. He should be playing 90% of the games though. He's not going to break down as much as the lighter McCann. 

6 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Correction: "BRUTAL" IQ.

10 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Sounds like Jakes converting some of the doubters. He has always had the tools but you can see he's starting to grasp the positioning as well. Now you can see why they never sent him down. He should be playing 90% of the games though. He's not going to break down as much as the lighter McCann. 

I cannot understand the expectations of fans for immediate success for Virtanen. He is a big 19 year old who has to adjust his game to bigger and faster opposition. It is all about learning the NHL game. Someone earlier mentioned motivation. Seriously?

Virtanen has the advantage of size and speed which should help his transition to the pros. I have not seen him relying on his physical game in the NHL but uses it in a calculated manner. To me it is all about adjusting to NHL speed and reaction. Not worried.  

• Upvote 3