The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

18 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I was a doubter myself until recently but the impressive thing for me is how he's learned to read the game and make good decisions with and without the puck.  Kinda blows that "low hockey IQ" narrative from a year or so few weeks ago out of the water.  Clearly he's plenty smart enough but is also getting good coaching and the right kind of experience.

FTFY ;)

Edited by J.R.

19 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I cannot understand the expectations of fans for immediate success for Virtanen. He is a big 19 year old who has to adjust his game to bigger and faster opposition. It is all about learning the NHL game. Someone earlier mentioned motivation. Seriously?

Virtanen has the advantage of size and speed which should help his transition to the pros. I have not seen him relying on his physical game in the NHL but uses it in a calculated manner. To me it is all about adjusting to NHL speed and reaction. Not worried.  

Yes, some peoples' expectations for immediate success for Jake is puzzling. If Jake was projected to have immediate success, with his skill set, he would have gone top 2, right behind Ekblad, I feel. Someone actually questioned Jake's motivation? I thought that was a strong point of his.

I was wondering why he wasn't hitting as much. He must be adjusting. This second highlighted part made me recall Chris Kreider's game against the Canucks recently. His speed and strength...just a sight to behold. He seemed unstoppable. Then there was an opportunity to run over a Canuck and he delivered a bone rattling check. 

Makes me drool just thinking about Virtanen's game in the future. It is going to be worth the wait.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

This thread is dying!!!!! I hope he trips over the red line tonight or takes an unnecessary penalty. We need people to hate on this kid, it makes him play harder!

LOL. This thread on Virtanen has been quiet because he's been playing well. shuts the people up from complaining about the kid. lol. love it. Jake is gonna be a good player for us down the road. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

LOL. This thread on Virtanen has been quiet because he's been playing well. shuts the people up from complaining about the kid. lol. love it. Jake is gonna be a good player for us down the road. 

Yeah ever since nice he came back from the WJC this place has been a tomb. He's playing way better positionally. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Well apparently you guys are asking for him to get criticized, and when he is indeed criticized, you guys tell his critics to go away or be patient about him, and now...

I don't see Virt much often in the game due to playing minimum minutes with short shifts, and occasional benching. Hes  just sheltered, making sure the spotlight s not on him, and hopefully he can fully concentrate on improving his game

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Well apparently you guys are asking for him to get criticized, and when he is indeed criticized, you guys tell his critics to go away or be patient about him, and now...

This.

Oh, and Ehlers got a hat--

Wait, it's already been mentioned on here LOL.

Props to Ehlers on the hatty. Maybe he is top 6 worthy after all but this doesn't change anything. Jake was the right pick for this team.

The hatty was against a Coyotes team that was on a b2b night and their rookie goalie Louis Domingue started b2b games. Hat trick is still impressive imo and Ehlers is playing with Blake Wheeler who is an absolute stud. If he stays on the Wheeler line he could have a huge 2nd half. 

• Upvote 1

I think the past few games, he has improved in terms of positioning and being defensively sound.  He has a few rushes which ended up with good scoring chances or good shots.  I think he is being sheltered which is good and considering the fact that he has a huge bruise near his eye because of Hansen's shot, he did quite a good job today with his 8 minutes of ice time.  However, I did think his line warranted more ice time today because every time they were on the ice, they generated some chances.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

I think the past few games, he has improved in terms of positioning and being defensively sound.  He has a few rushes which ended up with good scoring chances or good shots.  I think he is being sheltered which is good and considering the fact that he has a huge bruise near his eye because of Hansen's shot, he did quite a good job today with his 8 minutes of ice time.  However, I did think his line warranted more ice time today because every time they were on the ice, they generated some chances.

Jake is making progress. that's all we can ask for in his first year really. if he's building game after game and gaining confidence. he is going to come back next season stronger, better and smarter with the experience he's gained here this season. 

• Upvote 1