The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Virtanen opens up a lot of ice for his teammates with his speed and physicality tools that the existing roster lacks.  He's not going to become a better pro by playing against weaker competition.  He's defensively responsible and typically plays as the high man in offensive zone situations.  It's encouraging seeing strong buy-in from a 19 year old and a good omen as he matures going forward.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Spotted Zebra said:

So I was just on HF boards and came across this nugget from a fan of another team describing one of their young players. 

"  this is the player that he is, a 45-50 point PWF who has elite speed, elite strength, a very good shot, very physical at times, some of the worst decision making in the NHL and not much consistency, he's still a 1st line player in this league. Thats very similar to the player that Lucic is, and he's considered a first line player in the NHL on a 6M cap hit. He's also very clutch in the playoffs "

Remind you of anyone you know? This was in reference to Chris Kreider

People have been comparing Jake and Kreider for quite awhile now. I personally think they will end up a lot alike as well. 

3 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Straight from the horses mouth here's Jim Benning explaining it. Starts at about 13:15

He's right it does sound strange. But what it does is speed up the rebuild by at least a year. Are you somehow unaware that we are rebuilding? The fact that McCann and Virtanen are able to compete in the NHL at 19 is impressive and they are continuing to improve. I just don't see how it hurts the long term development of the players or the team. The team will likely add 3 of Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Grenier and Pedan next year, and continue to build from within. It's amazing that you haven't put 2 and 2 together yet and continue to sing the same old song.

You can't just drop rookies into the NHL to speed up a rebuild. Development doesn't work like that.

Hate to sound like a broken record but Detroit is the best at this kind of stuff and constantly stresses the need to develop a player gradually. If Mantha were a Canuck, for example, he'd probably already be seeing second line minutes.

Edited by guntrix

22 minutes ago, CanuckMan10 said:

Saw Jake V out at the bimini last night during student night.. He's turning into the future zack kassian ;)

I worry about other distractions, such as the female persuasion. From what I've heard on social media, he's quite the handsome fellow, and he's a hockey player. That's double trouble. :lol:

3 hours ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I worry about other distractions, such as the female persuasion. From what I've heard on social media, he's quite the handsome fellow, and he's a hockey player. That's double trouble. :lol:

wouldn't worry too much. Jake seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders. no issues that we know about unlike unfortunately for zack. hooefully being at home isn't too much of a distraction for Jake. he knows what he needs to do. 

9 hours ago, Canucks Prophet said:

women are beautiful.  Good for Jake.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, guntrix said:

You can't just drop rookies into the NHL to speed up a rebuild. Development doesn't work like that.

Hate to sound like a broken record but Detroit is the best at this kind of stuff and constantly stresses the need to develop a player gradually. If Mantha were a Canuck, for example, he'd probably already be seeing second line minutes.

You better send in an email to Trev, apparently he should have hired you instead of Benning.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Oh the trouble I would get in if I was Jake Virtanen... :lol:

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, guntrix said:

Whether you can drop Jake and Jared in remains to be seen. If you make a blanket statement like that without considering the circumstances, you run the risk of looking foolish at a future date. 

Development can work like that as demonstrated by Bo Horvat a year ago. I bet it was those same folks saying send Horvat down last year, as are on here critiquing Jake and saying it will ruin his development.

The simple truth is that Horvat and Virtanen are freaks of nature. For their age, they shouldn't be as fast and as strong as they are. McCann has a deadly shot and he got lucky a bunch of times at the beginning of the year, but you could also say that he has been unlucky on many chances as well.

There are so many gaps in our drafting history, that we shouldn't even be considered in the same breath as Detroit. That's an unrealistic comparison. We traded away plenty of picks for a win now strategy and now it's time to restock the cupboards.

If Mantha was in our list of prospects, I guarantee that he'd be in the Canucks lineup.

23 hours ago, Spotted Zebra said:
11 hours ago, Alflives said:

women are beautiful.  Good for Jake.  

I've seen jake at the bar I work at before and I was keeping an eye on him to see if we had another Kassian on our hands. He is a very polite and friendly kid, he had like one beer that I saw and was just taking it easy. Any 19 year old kid would love the attention they get from the ladies. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, guntrix said:

I think the main reason virtanen and McCann are here is because they are not old enough to play pro.... So it's junior or nhl.  

And In that case It makes sense that it would speed the rebuild.... Even if they start in pro next year  

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • b3. unlocked this topic