The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

22 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Fault for what? Playing like a 19 year old, not top 3 pick, nhl'er? I suppose you could blame his parents for not having him sooner being/19 if that makes you feel better? 

Seems pretty silly to me though. 

I think Goose might be referring to the decision not to send him to junior.

I think that coaching has something to do with how he toned down his hitting game.  He came out hitting everything at the start of the year - there were about 3 or 4 games in a row where he became a target.  That AHL plug fought him in New Jersey (farnham..was it...im too lazy to google it), he had a target on his back in Dallas after he nailed Nichuskin etc. I think coaching has something to do with his lack of hitting - they probably feel hes better off working on the weaker parts of his game than running around nailing guys and either ending up in the box for 2 or sitting out for 5 after he gets jumped into a fight.  Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I think that coaching has something to do with how he toned down his hitting game.  He came out hitting everything at the start of the year - there were about 3 or 4 games in a row where he became a target.  That AHL plug fought him in New Jersey (farnham..was it...im too lazy to google it), he had a target on his back in Dallas after he nailed Nichuskin etc. I think coaching has something to do with his lack of hitting - they probably feel hes better off working on the weaker parts of his game than running around nailing guys and either ending up in the box for 2 or sitting out for 5 after he gets jumped into a fight.  Just my opinion.

If that's the reason fire the coach.   You want guys to play to their strengths.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If that's the reason fire the coach.   You want guys to play to their strengths.

you would hope thats the case, as long as he is not taking bad penalties and is playing on the right side of the edge on not doing blind side hits, let him play the way that made him a top pick.

His speed is great, hopefully he gains more confidence to shoot more and it gets accurate, still would like to see him slot on with the twins for a stretch of games, most likely wont happen this year, but maybe to start next year off? that or with bo

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, shayster007 said:

What a beautiful one timer! That's 3 for our boy!

Yeah. Really happy for Jake to have him one timed that shot. Nice goal for sure. 

Hoping that he keeps it up with the goals. Looks like the kid's gaining some confidence. 

So, what do you do when you have a big, hard hitting physical young winger who can also skate like the wind? 

I know

Lets not use any of those attributes and let him hang back as the 3rd forward while the other two forecheck.

That way, he can use his most criticized skill which is hockey IQ  as he has to read whether to pinch at blue line or hang back or even figure out which passing lane he should take away.... 

I used to think it was Jake's hockey IQ that prevented him from being first man in on the forecheck but I think it has to be coaches decision. There's no other explanation for him always being beaten by his other 2 linemates who are slower.

If this isn't Willie's plan, than Jake must be really dumb because timing a dump in as a forechecking winger starts when you are a kid barely able to skate. 

Notice what happens when Jake's first man in? He lays guys out.(final minute in the TO game)  Let's let him do that more often and I have a feeling we'll see a lot more turnovers by the opposing D-man not to mention wearing them down all game. 

If Jake doesn't have hockey smarts, simplify the game for him and let him go in full speed and hit guys on the most basic zone entry in hockey. 

If you pay attention to this, you'll notice that Jake's first man in usually 1 out of  every 10 times. 

It should be more like 8 or 9 out of 10 times 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

A coach will not tell a player to purposely be the high guy.  The guy closest to the puck and/or has the best route to get to the puck becomes F1.  Jake is tentative and yes he happens to be stuck in the F3 position a lot but that is not on the coach, Jake is literally the last guy we want being F3.  Jake needs to read the play better and needs to be quicker to get there.  He often seems tentative and even lackadaisical at times.  That will happen to 19 year olds but it is happening far too often for my liking.

Hope to see less of it next season. He's learning on the fly this season. Personally. I'm gonna give him more rope. He's tentative. That's understandable. But after having a season (more or less) - I'm hoping that he doesn't make the same mistakes next year. If there's improvement in his game at this time next season, I'm a happy man. He's on pace for what. 6 goals? If he can double that to 12, I'd considered that a win and an improvement. As long as he keeps improving, that's fine with me. He has a ceiling of course, and I hope that people on these boards don't expect him to be Stamkos like. Cause he's not going to be that. 

And I don't think he'll be another Raffi Torres like some here think he will. 

7 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Nice to see that Jake is still completely incapable of making a smart offensive play 

I should write: nice to see you are still completely incapable of writing a smart post.  I won't though, because only a complete idiot, moron, and loser of the biggest kind would insult someone like that.  :P

• Upvote 2

On February 16, 2016 at 6:09 PM, The 5th Line said:

A coach will not tell a player to purposely be the high guy.  The guy closest to the puck and/or has the best route to get to the puck becomes F1.  Jake is tentative and yes he happens to be stuck in the F3 position a lot but that is not on the coach, Jake is literally the last guy we want being F3.  Jake needs to read the play better and needs to be quicker to get there.  He often seems tentative and even lackadaisical at times.  That will happen to 19 year olds but it is happening far too often for my liking.

And, for some unexplained reason, I used to have the belief you actually had some understanding of the game, beyond the peewee house level.  Now the more I read of your conceptual awareness of the game, the more I must accept YOU ARE A PEEWEE. :o

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I should write: nice to see you are still completely incapable of writing a smart post.  I won't though, because only a complete idiot, moron, and loser of the biggest kind would insult someone like that.  :P

Basically what I was going to say.

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Care to elaborate? 

Have you ever even played hockey, Alfy?  

I know a lot of people here don't care for me very much but you are the last person that should be telling someone that their post wasn't smart

Is it bright to hit one's head continuously on the concrete, and each time expect a different result?  

I don't know you, so I have no opinion on you as a person.  As a poster, Your continued negative comments about our youngest player are tiresome.  If you expect a different response, then at least go to a Leafs or Jets board, where it would be a pillow and not a sidewalk you are bashing your skull against.  

Plus, Alf is not so foolishly arrogant to believe he knows more than any other poster.  Further on point, here you use Eric Lindros as your avatar, one of the greatest power forwards to ever play (who played the game with his head down) and finally we have a player with that type of skill set, and you choose to single out that - Lindros like - player for your continued negative posts, makes no sense.  In fact some might say that's just showing your lack of understanding the game, or lack of smarts.

17 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

What does this have to do with anything?  I asked you to elaborate on my forechecking comment and why you called me an idiot. Of course, you failed to elaborate anything.  

So basically i'm an idiot because I am not a huge homer like you?  You leave garbage comments daily, close to 7000 posts in less than a year.  Just because this is CDC doesn't mean I have to sniff our prospects bums like you do.  I'm leaving my personal opinion and I will only comment on a player if I actually watch them play, unlike you.  I barely comment on this particular page anymore because everyone gets so pissy about it.  

and please don't compare Jake and Eric ever again please.  All I said was he is incapable of making a smart offensive play.  Boohoo  

I had constructed a well thought out post, and then CDC crashes.  I'll start again.  I laughed at the Alf is an ass sniffer comment.  Pretty funny actually.  Plus, the 7000 posts in six months comment makes me feel like the Wilt Chamberlain of CDC.  And I don't need pills like he did to keep my post count up.  

We finally have a young prospect with Cam Neely (respect for the Big E is easy - great player) skills, and you don't support the draft pick.  You have proposed we drafted one of two softies instead.  Coming from a guy who loved the big tough players, who had skill too, this makes no sense.  

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Am I not supporting?  Or I am just trying to tell it like it is?  Are my words on a website going to effect Jakes play?

Just because Jake plays for my favorite NHL team doesn't mean I have to steer away from my realism.  

Jake will be an all star power forward, Ben Hutton will be Duncan Keith and Demko will be Cory Schneider.  Am I doing it right?

No. Demko will be a superstar...after he snubs Vancouver and signs with another team. That would be doing it right.

• Upvote 2