The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Jake Virtanen: 2-6-8 in 8 GP in the WHL

William Nylander: 3-8-11 in 8 GP in the SEL

I want Virtanen to prove to me that Benning made the right pick, but he's going to have to produce at well over a point per game in the WHL when kids like Nylander are leading the Swedish Elite League in points per game. Say what you want about Virtanen being more suited for the West and a more physical, tougher guy, he's still playing with children and has had serious shoulder surgery. Nylander is just an inch smaller but is putting up points against fully grown men.

Current stars from the WHL put up around 90-100 at least before impressing at the NHL or AHL level. He's going to have to do much better than he is right now.

The knock on Nylander is that he's a primeter player and can't play defence to save his life. Not the fact that he wasn't offensive enough

• Upvote 1

Jake Virtanen: 2-6-8 in 8 GP in the WHL

William Nylander: 3-8-11 in 8 GP in the SEL

I want Virtanen to prove to me that Benning made the right pick, but he's going to have to produce at well over a point per game in the WHL when kids like Nylander are leading the Swedish Elite League in points per game. Say what you want about Virtanen being more suited for the West and a more physical, tougher guy, he's still playing with children and has had serious shoulder surgery. Nylander is just an inch smaller but is putting up points against fully grown men.

Current stars from the WHL put up around 90-100 at least before impressing at the NHL or AHL level. He's going to have to do much better than he is right now.

The tl;dr version:

[insert any of DownUndaCanuck's previous posts in Jake Virtanen Talk]

• Upvote 3

If you're going to compare the size of Nylander and Virtanen, it seems pretty biased to leave out the fact that, according to Eliteprospects.com, Virtanen is 37 pounds heavier than Virtanen.

Also, if you're going to bring up the fact that Virtanen had a serious shoulder injury, he should get a bit of leeway in terms of his production so early into the season.

• Upvote 1

Player (WHL career-high)

Ryan Getzlaf (75), Jamie Benn (82), Marian Hossa (85), Scottie Hartnell (82), Milan Lucic (68)

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 4

Player (WHL career-high)

Ryan Getzlaf (75), Jamie Benn (82), Marian Hossa (85), Scottie Hartnell (82), Milan Lucic (68)

If you're going to do research, do it properly. When I said 90-100 points, I was referring to paces.

Benn scored 82 in just 56 games.

Getzlaf scored 75 in 49 games.

Hossa scored 85 points in 53 games.

Hartnell scored 82 points in 62 games.

Lucic was the only anomaly who scored at a point per game pace but I definately wouldn't call him a star. Lucic is a 60 point, 20-30 goal scorer at best and was taken in the second round because that's his peak. I'd expect more from the 6th overall pick which is why it's stupid to compare Lucic (and even Hartnell) and Virtanen.

There's a big difference between Virtanen scoring 70 points in 70 games and what those stars have done. Playing a full season this year, he needs to put up 90-100 points to match their point-per-games and become a star. Scoring at a point per game at the WHL is nothing special.

If you're going to do research, do it properly. When I said 90-100 points, I was referring to paces.

Benn scored 82 in just 56 games.

Getzlaf scored 75 in 49 games.

Hossa scored 85 points in 53 games.

Hartnell scored 82 points in 62 games.

Lucic was the only anomaly who scored at a point per game pace but I definately wouldn't call him a star. Lucic is a 60 point, 20-30 goal scorer at best and was taken in the second round because that's his peak. I'd expect more from the 6th overall pick which is why it's stupid to compare Lucic (and even Hartnell) and Virtanen.

There's a big difference between Virtanen scoring 70 points in 70 games and what those stars have done. Playing a full season this year, he needs to put up 90-100 points to match their point-per-games and become a star. Scoring at a point per game at the WHL is nothing special.

you put to much weight into points. The more interesting stat is what Percent of his teams offence he accounts for not how many points are on the scoresheet at the end of the day

Edited by Gstank29
  • Upvote 2

Research.

Can add Brandon Dubinsky, Brendan Morrow, and Andrew Ladd to that list in terms of similar point production.

67 points in 51 games for Dubinsky, who was the 60th overall pick.

Morrow scored 85 in 61.

Andrew Ladd is exactly what I hope Virtanen doesn't turn out to become. Ladd was a former 4th overall and struggled mightily in his first few seasons in the league. He was labelled a huge bust and got shipped out of Carolina and only really became a true force after 6 or 7 years in the league. I'd hope Virtanen doesn't end up becoming another Andrew Ladd.

I'd hope Virtanen doesn't end up becoming another Andrew Ladd.

Andrew Ladd is a 2 time Stanley Cup winner. For the sake of the Canucks, I would be very happy if Virtanen turned out like Andrew Ladd

If you think Virtanen is a bust after 7 games in the WHL then just stay out of this thread.

• Upvote 1

you put to much weight into points. The more interesting stat is what Percent of his teams offence he accounts for not how many points are on the scoresheet at the end of the day

That I'll agree with, but look at Nylander. He's on a struggling MODO team that have no good scorers and he's scoring well over a point per game, and more impressively has a +2 on a team that is getting heavily outscored.

Andrew Ladd is a 2 time Stanley Cup winner. For the sake of the Canucks, I would be very happy if Virtanen turned out like Andrew Ladd

If you think Virtanen is a bust after 7 games in the WHL then just stay out of this thread.

Ladd was a 3rd and 4th liner on those stacked Cup winning teams, I hope Virtanen doesn't end up becoming a 3rd or 4th liner on a good team or a captain and first liner on a horrible team like Winnipeg.

I never said Virtanen was a bust, I'm just saying that we should have picked Nylander. No doubt Virtanen will become a good player in the league, but when you get a pick as high as the #6 you can't just pick a good player, you have to take the great ones.

Ladd was a 3rd and 4th liner on those stacked Cup winning teams, I hope Virtanen doesn't end up becoming a 3rd or 4th liner on a good team or a captain and first liner on a horrible team like Winnipeg.

I never said Virtanen was a bust, I'm just saying that we should have picked Nylander. No doubt Virtanen will become a good player in the league, but when you get a pick as high as the #6 you can't just pick a good player, you have to take the great ones.

What I don't understand is why you come here to Jake Virtanen Talk to tell us that over and over again. As if it is going to change anything.

• Upvote 3

You're wasting your time with these guys. There's no point in talking sense to people who are hell bent on holding on to hope. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but neither will it make the situation any less pathetic.

We wasted the our highest draft pick since the Sedins, and understandably it's kind of hard to take that in.

You're wasting your time with these guys. There's no point in talking sense to people who are hell bent on holding on to hope. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but neither will it make the situation any less pathetic.

We wasted the our highest draft pick since the Sedins, and understandably it's kind of hard to take that in.

Oh is that what your crystal ball is saying?

I swear to god you're the most cynical person on this forum.

wow.