The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

12 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

He reminds me a little of a very young Cam Neely. You can throw some Claude Lemieux traits in the mix as well.

He's a 'real exciting' prospect all in all. Do 19 year old guys really like The Bieb though?  It does suggest he's a very young 19 to me.

bieber is one of the biggest names in entertainment.  not saying he's good but I'm guessing pop culture has surpassed people like you and I.

• Upvote 2

On April 1, 2016 at 0:02 PM, J.R. said:

Part.

That also seems to presume JV lacks any leadership.

Whatever amount of leadership he may have or may learn in the future, that doesn't justify comparing him to one of the best leaders of his generation in Doan.

That's like seeing Burrows do a neat trick and comparing him to a hockey hall of famer.

a semblance of something doesn't constitute comparing him with a great. 

But then again, hyperbolic comparisons aren't anything new around here. I mean, a user above me just compared Jake with Lemieux lol... 

9 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Whatever amount of leadership he may have or may learn in the future, that doesn't justify comparing him to one of the best leaders of his generation in Doan.

That's like seeing Burrows do a neat trick and comparing him to a hockey hall of famer.

But then again, hyperbolic comparisons aren't anything new around here. I mean, a user above me just compared Jake with Lemieux lol... 

If you can read, the poster above said Claude Lemieux. Not Mario Lemieux.

7 minutes ago, guntrix said:

My bad. But still, Neely... 

Yeah. I've said it a bunch of times before too. He's not going to become a Neely, Bertuzzi, Benn, etc. He could become a Shane Doan statiscally, or Scott Hartnell (imo the best comparison for Jake). 

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Yeah. I've said it a bunch of times before too. He's not going to become a Neely, Bertuzzi, Benn, etc. He could become a Shane Doan statiscally, or Scott Hartnell (imo the best comparison for Jake). 

JV skates A LOT better than all those guys.  His straight line speed and power is freakish.  Bert and Benn are both left handed, and highly skilled with the puck.  Doran and Hartnell are not in Jake's league for skating.  The one JV is most like is EXACTLY NEELY.  Put JV with an Elite centre, and he score + 40.  

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

I never compared them. I said Virtanen could just as likely have a similar career statistically and play style to him as Torres and that claiming anything as absolute at this point is ridiculous. 

Never claimed he had Doan's leadership nor did I claim Doan could skate like Virtanen. 

But carry on with your straw man...

27 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

But wasn't the San Jose game the game in which it occurred and it doesn't count?

We played SJ on Tuesday and he was suspended the next morning. We played SJ again on Thursday, and the Ducks on Friday.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

My bad. But still, Neely... 

Do you remember what Neely looked like at the same age when he was with the Canucks? Coach Tom Watt was convinced he was never going to amount to much and the majority of fans around town seemed to agree. You no hockey sense, undisciplined and etc.

Of course, we all realize today how that worked out for us.

18 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Actually you're referred to as a troll because you only ever have negative things to say about our prospect. It was curious but not surprising that you had nothing to say for a couple months when Jake was playing well. Now that his play has taken a dip and his exuberance in trying to make a big hit has ended in a suspension, Guntrix has suddenly found his voice again.

Props to the5thline for being the one detractor of Jake's game early on, that has come back to acknowledge when Jake was playing well. Jake as a 19 year old isn't a top 6 forward on a good team, but the Canucks only had a couple of games this year with all of their starters in the lineup. 

Jake is far from a finished product, yet some people are looking at him at age 19, as though he will never learn anything or become a better player. There is plenty of room for improvement, yet there are plenty of fans that can see the upside in this kid's game and are certain that he will become a top 6 winger.                                                                                                            

6 hours ago, guntrix said:

But a semblance of something makes it okay to label him Raffi Torres? Alrighty then.

7 hours ago, guntrix said:

I was 2 when Shane Doan first came into the league so I don't remember what he was like then but according to my math Doan was also 19 in his first NHL season. I wonder if he was a leader then or if there were any expectations set on him.

I'll never understand any criticism on a teenager playing in the NHL. Criticism implies expectations, and that's where you're wrong. You should never put any expectations on a player before they hit 22/23. Even if McDavid was on this team I would not put any expectations. The only thing I want Virtanen and McCann to do is to absorb the copious amount of info thrown their way and soak it in as much as possible.