The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I just wanted to vent that I am very disappointed in many aspects of Jake's game but most of all his mental immaturity and work ethic.  I love his potential but really want him in the ahl for a year in hopes that he will be challenged for the first time in his life and learn how to persevere. 

Before you call me a troll I want to say I've been a canuck fan for 19 years and played 4 years of junior hockey and would like to think I know what I'm talking about.

My experience tells me jake is entitled and lacking that work ethic instinct which many junior stars never learned. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, brbetts542 said:

I just wanted to vent that I am very disappointed in many aspects of Jake's game but most of all his mental immaturity and work ethic.  I love his potential but really want him in the ahl for a year in hopes that he will be challenged for the first time in his life and learn how to persevere. 

Before you call me a troll I want to say I've been a canuck fan for 19 years and played 4 years of junior hockey and would like to think I know what I'm talking about.

My experience tells me jake is entitled and lacking that work ethic instinct which many junior stars never learned. 

Down the stretch his production, mcanns and baertchi kinda dropped, concerning, yes, I just hope benning knew what he was doing when we selected make.  I thought he was ok towards the end.

19 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Down the stretch his production, mcanns and baertchi kinda dropped, concerning, yes, I just hope benning knew what he was doing when we selected make.  I thought he was ok towards the end.

Down the stretch the whole team suffered a drop in production due to them not scoring goals in what, 4 consecutive games? Not to mention other shutouts throughout the season and the Canucks were 2nd last before New Jersey in GF. And we set the lowest goals for in a season in franchise history I believe. That's quite an astonishing stat. 

Another reason maybe is that half the roster are players that are 1st or 2nd season in the NHL. Some have had bits of NHL games under their resume, but half the roster lacks the experience. McCann dropped off because he couldn't maintain an 82 game schedule which is totally fine for a 19 year old turning 20 next month. 

And I do believe Benning knows what he's doing. Were going to need a player like Virtanen in the future. He'll be a great top 6 player hopefully if everything goes right. Maybe not first line, but 2nd line probably yeah. Since we are going to get a top 6 pick this year guaranteed, we'll pick a good player (hopefully top 3), and if we do get Matthews, than that's already a step closer. If we do draft potential d-man in the 2nd round or even the 1st round, we'll bolster our defence. And I'm not expecting us to make the playoffs next year so we could get another top 10 pick (Maxime Comtois or Timothy Lilgegren pls).

Edited by Odd.

On April 11, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

This.  He's made some unreal passes this year as well as some bad ones.  All the "low hockey IQ" and "tunnel vision" stuff that was going around about him started to look pretty silly when he got on a roll after the WJC.  Of course there was some regression, but part of that also came from playing down the lineup.  Put him with Horvat and Baertschi and his passing will look just fine.

He does have tunnel vision...

and he forces plays that don't appear to be there...

but that's why we love the kid. He's a wildcard that plays at his own speed, literally the perfect secret weapon for a contending team. Let Jake be Jake and we will be rewarded.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Brouhaha said:

post removed

This is what's wrong with Canucks fans. Needless rumors obsessing over players in their personal lives.

Something tells me "out of shape" for a hockey player is still in way better shape than 90% of people out there. I doubt he could have gotten that out of shape in less than a month anyways.

Pot is no worse than going and having a drink in the offseason. There's worse things he could be doing if true.

Edited by b3.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This is what's wrong with Canucks fans. Needless rumors obsessing over players in their personal lives.

Something tells me "out of shape" for a hockey player is still in way better shape than 90% of people out there. I doubt he could have gotten that out of shape in less than a month anyways.

Pot is no worse than going and having a drink in the offseason. There's worse things he could be doing if true.

Most players take a month or so off after the season to relax or unwind before putting in hard work at the gym.

If he comes into camp in the same shape he was in this year though, there's a problem.

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yes, yes and yes every one is in poor shape compared to a professional athlete we get that. What's disturbing is ( assuming this is true ??? ) is Virtanen attitude does not strike you as a dedicated professional athlete. Athletes have a short shelf life and they best get it right or the shelf life will be shorter still. How many grey cells does it take to figure this out. That blind side hit he delivered and the 2 game suspension as a rookie ( marked man now )  doesn't bode well for the between the ears category. Here's  a tip  left right left right STOP and think left right left right STOP and think in the mean time here's a tip to Virtanen keep a low profile and take training seriously. Remember what JB in Boston did to Seguin when he turned out to a party animal.

52 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Yes, yes and yes every one is in poor shape compared to a professional athlete we get that. What's disturbing is ( assuming this is true ??? ) is Virtanen attitude does not strike you as a dedicated professional athlete. Athletes have a short shelf life and they best get it right or the shelf life will be shorter still. How many grey cells does it take to figure this out. That blind side hit he delivered and the 2 game suspension as a rookie ( marked man now )  doesn't bode well for the between the ears category. Here's  a tip  left right left right STOP and think left right left right STOP and think in the mean time here's a tip to Virtanen keep a low profile and take training seriously. Remember what JB in Boston did to Seguin when he turned out to a party animal.

Are you seriously gonna lecture jake over what someone's buddys cousins friend said????

Get a grip dude. 

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Seven pounds soft said:

Are you seriously gonna lecture jake over what someone's buddys cousins friend said????

Get a grip dude. 

Well between getting a suspension as an 18 year old rookie and Daniel Sedins comments and then add in some ones cousin etc etc it does kinda look like decision making isn't his strong suit. I hope he gets some good advise from those around him.

11 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Well between getting a suspension as an 18 year old rookie and Daniel Sedins comments and then add in some ones cousin etc etc it does kinda look like decision making isn't his strong suit. I hope he gets some good advise from those around him.

He's a 19 year old pro athlete playing in his home town no less, with all the money and fame that includes. If your expecting the kid to be an absolute angel 100% of the time, you're dreaming. Most of them turn out alright soon enough...but they're still going to be kids (with a bunch of money and fame).

We got LUCKY with Horvat, he's not the norm.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He's a 19 year old pro athlete playing in his home town no less, with all the money and fame that includes. If your expecting the kid to be an absolute angel 100% of the time, you're dreaming. Most of them turn out alright soon enough...but they're still going to be kids (with a bunch of money and fame).

We got LUCKY with Horvat, he's not the norm.

Remember how much "character" Cody Hodgson had?

Enough character to demand a trade at age 20 apparently.

Fans that expect these kids to be perfect are ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

( assuming this is true ??? )

There's the other half of the problem. Not only do fans create silly rumors, other fans just assume they're true because so and so said so.

Apparently peoples cousins are considered valid sources on here. Remember that come fee agency people. :lol:

I'm willing to bet that it was just some dude that he thought was Virtanen, and the guys an idiot.

Edited by DeNiro

39 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

What exactly were those comments?

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

There's the other half of the problem. Not only do fans create silly rumors, other fans just assume they're true because so and so said so.

Apparently peoples cousins are considered valid sources on here. Remember that come fee agency people. :lol:

I'm willing to bet that it was just some dude that he thought was Virtanen, and the guys an idiot.

Jesus dude,

is it that hard to believe? I'm just posting what a good buddy of mine told me, and he actually had a conversation with him about getting the fifth pick. I even said that I don't know how much validity there is to the comment about pot. But don't call people you don't know idiots just because you weren't there to see or hear what happened.

• Upvote 2

On 2 May 2016 at 7:24 PM, Fred65 said:

The suspension was over exaggerated by the usual media jackals. 

As for Danny, I have lost a lot of respect for the Twins. Too much yapping to the media and he of all people should know better. If he has something to say then let him say it to the boy. If he did, fine, that should be an end to it, there was no need for any further briefing of the media.

Honestly the Twins seem to have an agenda which is beginning to worry me. 

I hope this coming season they keep all this trash in-house as it is not doing their rep much good, nor is it helping the coach imo.

• Upvote 2