The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

23 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

The suspension was over exaggerated by the usual media jackals. 

As for Danny, I have lost a lot of respect for the Twins. Too much yapping to the media and he of all people should know better. If he has something to say then let him say it to the boy. If he did, fine, that should be an end to it, there was no need for any further briefing of the media.

Honestly the Twins seem to have an agenda which is beginning to worry me. 

I hope this coming season they keep all this trash in-house as it is not doing their rep much good, nor is it helping the coach imo.

Well the coach was not too kind on Virtanen either - he talked a few times of him needing to do better on and off the ice.  WD talked of how he was a bit taking things for granted and needed his habits to improve.

He also called the hit late - he didn't think it was intentional but talked about how there needed to be more respect among players.   Trevor Linden was even quoted saying that it's the type of hit that the league wanted to take out of the game. 

Edited by mll

Just now, mll said:

Well the coach was not too kind on Virtanen either - he talked a few times of him needing to do better on and off the ice.  WD talked of how he was taking things for granted and needed his habits to improve.

He also called the hit late - he didn't think it was intentional but talked about how there needed to be more respect among players.   Trevor Linden was even quoted saying that it's the type of hit that the league wanted to take out of the game. 

Well I said at the time he was right to call it a late hit because everyone and his uncle could see it was. 

As for the other stuff I don't agree with the coach calling out any of his players in public although having said that WD did heap a lot of praise on Virtanen AND defended him vehemently after the WJCs

What WD and JB have to realise is just how much of a self destructive media Vancouver has. The less given to them the better imo.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well I said at the time he was right to call it a late hit because everyone and his uncle could see it was. 

As for the other stuff I don't agree with the coach calling out any of his players in public although having said that WD did heap a lot of praise on Virtanen AND defended him vehemently after the WJCs

What WD and JB have to realise is just how much of a self destructive media Vancouver has. The less given to them the better imo.

The sedin's also had a whole lot of praise for the rookies too and did hold a training camp to teach them how professionals work out in the off-season (which they had no obligation to do so).

2 minutes ago, hockeyking said:

The sedin's also had a whole lot of praise for the rookies too and did hold a training camp to teach them how professionals work out in the off-season (which they had no obligation to do so).

Well good on them. 

I think we have now established that mentoring, encouraging, coaching and praising the rookies in public is fine but let us keep the criticism inside the locker room.

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

Well good on them. 

I think we have now established that mentoring, encouraging, coaching and praising the rookies in public is fine but let us keep the criticism inside the locker room.

They really never said much criticism, which was  jakes hit was late which it was and again said by the coach and GM, Down played winning games when we were out and put importance of winning games through out the regular season (most likely alluding to next year) and that single quote of how Daniel Sedin expects more of the rookies which might have been accidental as they believe they have allot of potential and skill and if it wasn't so raw the canucks would be in the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

As you suggested young 19 year olds have their own interests and priorities. Rumors will follow this kid because he is a easy target. This is another reason why I do not want the Comets moved to Abby. To much attention, to much BS media. 

While we all love to see local kids make it on the Canucks, the downside is that there's some sort of masochistic contrarian subculture here that seems to get off on eating its own... and that includes the local trash media.  They've teed off on Jake for any tidbit they can grasp at ever since the draft, and I just hope that Stecher doesn't get the same treatment if he's not an all-star coming out of training camp.  Perhaps not, considering he wasn't a high-profile draft pick so there's less to tear down.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

While we all love to see local kids make it on the Canucks, the downside is that there's some sort of masochistic contrarian subculture here that seems to get off on eating its own... and that includes the local trash media.  They've teed off on Jake for any tidbit they can grasp at ever since the draft, and I just hope that Stecher doesn't get the same treatment if he's not an all-star coming out of training camp.  Perhaps not, considering he wasn't a high-profile draft pick so there's less to tear down.

Canadians are known for their greed and envy. Have done business in both B.C. and Idaho. I found the Americans far more loyal to their own suppliers and communities. Tough markets to break into. Successful Canadians are often attacked as people who either stole their wealth or garnered it through some loop hole. Celebrating success rarely happens.

When comparing US culture and Cdn culture, IMO the cut throat style of the USA is not admired here. Remember Canada ( wrongly or rightly ) has equalization payment between Provinces...this would never even be dreamed of in the USA. Canada is more  one for all and all for one...not so much in the USA you are on your own bud ...think of the Obama Care how many American viewed the benefits for the less fortunate ....hey get a job or drop out of view.  Where you can see this is the manner in which the NHLPA is managed as against say the MLB union

• Upvote 1

Hopefully he develops into the player we expect him to be. I know he only played his first year but a year in all should help him develop. 

Let's hope Benning doesn't pull a Seguin with Jake. 

4 minutes ago, prix57 said:

Hopefully he develops into the player we expect him to be. I know he only played his first year but a year in all should help him develop. 

Let's hope Benning doesn't pull a Seguin with Jake. 

If benning does pull a seguin with jake, i doubt jake pulls a seguin on benning lol.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Saw the guy sat night. He's looked like he was in good shape. Not as big as I thought he would be though lol. 

People on these boards just like stirring things up. Chill out. 

Good to hear. Thanks juggs.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm assuming Virtanen is in some sort of bulking phase of his training right now.

He's looking a little portly playing volleyball with those kids.

That's some messed up volleyball they're playing. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Should a guy who needs to work on aerobic fitness be bulking up?  He looks like a cracker snacker. 

It's not even June yet, he's got plenty of time.

I'm sure if he's training in Van the Canucks training staff have a close eye on his progress.

Not too worried. if he can play with the speed he has at 220 lbs he's going to be pretty hard to stop. Just gotta work on that endurance. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

It's not even June yet, he's got plenty of time.

I'm sure if he's training in Van the Canucks training staff have a close eye on his progress.

Not too worried. if he can play with the speed he has at 220 lbs he's going to be pretty hard to stop. Just gotta work on that endurance. 

That endurance often comes with maturity, doesn't it?